• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your assumptions are faulty.

I have AoW and I'm still experiencing lag. With or without the DLC(s) enabled.
As I said in my post, it is still slower with 1.8 than it was with 1.7. For me though it was significantly faster with 1.8 and AoW enabled than 1.8 without AoW enabled. Also understand I am not referring to save game lag - only general slowness progressing time. I'm pretty sure there are other lag issues as well when mousing over things other people are experiencing.

As it stands I've heard about 3 performance issues and here are some *possible* solutions:

1) Save game lag/ironman lag: Turn off compressed saves
2) General slowness progressing time (slower time for a year to pass): Enable AoW
3) Hanging when bringing up tooltip text: no idea

I didn't spend a huge amount of time testing as last I checked I'm not on PI's payroll, but this is what I've found in my limited testing and reading the forums.

My computer is nothing to write home about. A basic work desktop

AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor
4 GB DDR3 Ram
GeForce GTX 460v2
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Even with this machine I was able to run the game almost flawlessly on high settings prior to the patch. Now at the same settings I am getting about half of the performance I was getting before. The slowest speed / Time pass feels like 4 or 5 felt before. 4 or 5 makes the game virtually unplayable. About 22-30 seconds per month on speed 5. I hope Paradox does something about this soon ...

I just got the dlc, and before the patch I could run it but now I get a runtime error every time I start it up before it gets to the main menu. I assume it's because of the added provinces, so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or if I'm just sadly out of luck. v_v

I got that the first time I ran it from Steam, but asking Steam to check the integrity of the game cache fixed this

Well I got this issue too, for a while games runnig fine, but then graphics start to flicker, some wierd graphics occur, random flashes of white and black or the provinves names are being streched for a sec and game slows down significantly. Pausig a game is helping for a brief moment but performance is much lower than 1.7

specs: core i7 1,7Ghz gtx 460M 1,5GB own memory, ram 8 GB

How do I check integrity of the game ? I cannot find this in steam options :(

Ok, guys I also bought AoW and I have a considerable improvement in performance. A month passes for 2.3-2.6 seconds which is faster than in 1.7(was around 3 seconds back then). I am still experiencing a bit of choppiness but it isn't something major, unlike the stutter which I had before buying the DLC. So yeah, the guys probably forgot to add something connected with the optimization to the free patch.

Yeah, runs terribly for me (don't have AoW). Ran well enough beforehand. Wasn't exactly great, but it did all right.

Kind of irritating that the requirements for the game just seemed to go up drastically more than a year after the game's release. Between this and CK2's Rajas of India, my two favorite Paradox games have gone over the performance edge for me. Least there's older patches, I guess. :\

Game feels noticable slower and loading times are a lot slower. Don't have exact times but it feels that ironman used to take me about 1-2 seconds to save in 1.7, and now it takes 3-4s. Also alt-tabbing crashes the game almost everytime now.

Intel i5-3570k
Radeon 7950HD
8GB RAM
SSD
Windows 8

Bought AoW, don't see much change in performance. Dunno specs off hand but I'm using a 2 year old laptop that was pretty good when I bought it, so def no high end machine. Game runs smoothly, saving takes about the same time, only annoying thing is now and then one auto save can take 1-3 minutes every couple of years and the game looks frozen, but that happened before, too.

ETA: 16gb ram, 2.4 GHz eight core, SSD

Bought AoW, don't see much change in performance. Dunno specs off hand but I'm using a 2 year old laptop that was pretty good when I bought it, so def no high end machine. Game runs smoothly, saving takes about the same time, only annoying thing is now and then one auto save can take 1-3 minutes every couple of years and the game looks frozen, but that happened before, too.

As people have noticed an increase in performance after buying AoW, I guess that Paradox forgot some of the improvement stuff in the DLC.

Getting really bad lag during autosaves, playing on ironman with save compression disabled. Lag occurs while saving locally and also on cloud servers. I only really enjoy playing EU4 on ironman, so it's kind of ruining the experience for me greatly. Kind of angry I paid for the DLC when the game is basically unplayable.

I have AoW, and the game was working great in 1.7
specs:
i7 920
4850HD
6GB RAM

Also, I will add another request: could the ones who have problems please open the logs/system.log file and see if there is something like

Code:
[systemsettings.cpp:198]: System memory:   0MB
[systemsettings.cpp:203]: CPU speed:       4294967295MHz

as the very first lines?

Also, I will add another request: could the ones who have problems please open the logs/system.log file and see if there is something like

Code:
[systemsettings.cpp:198]: System memory:   0MB
[systemsettings.cpp:203]: CPU speed:       4294967295MHz

as the very first lines?

Checked mine, got the same first two lines on system.log file.

I hope they fix this, I was under the impression that this patch would fix the lag for most mods but it seem not to be the case.

Last edited:
As people have noticed an increase in performance after buying AoW, I guess that Paradox forgot some of the improvement stuff in the DLC.

There is no optimization in the expansion, it's all in the patch. We've tested the claim that the game runs faster with AoW and have not been able to reproduce it.

No complaints from me, but seeing the backlash, I think you might have overdone it with the 900+ provinces and all the new nations.

I'm also getting this stuttering on speeds 4 and 5, pre-1.8 it was silky smooth. I don't have AoW.

Specs:
i5-2500k
GTX 580
8GB RAM

Compressed saves are OFF and all other options are the same as they were pre-1.8.

I guess I'll go back to 1.7.3 for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.