[sign up's] Twilight of the Third Age: A lord of the rings role-play

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gorganslayer

Second Lieutenant
70 Badges
Sep 29, 2014
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
after seeing the interest in my interest checking thread i have decided to start sign-ups for my new LOTR role-play all you have to do is pick which 3 factions you would like to play in order of preference. it will be first come first served.
Factions available:
Major:
- Gondor - sneakyflaps
- Rohan - jako473
- Mordor - battle bunny
- Isengard - Dexander
- Dwarves - Brovahkin
- High Elves - jeeshadow
Minor Factions:
- Silvian Elves - Bialaska
- Rhun - Rovsea
- Harad/corsair - alexander23
- Free people of Eriador - dutch guy
- Orcs of gundabad - tapscott
- Goblins of the Misty Mountains - firelordsky
- Dale - bakerydog

I have included the rules below so people can get an understanding for it and whether they would like to play. However note that for now these rules are open to change if people want so if you disagree with something just say so below.

Also please try to stay in character if you play it makes it fun for everyone.

Twilight of the Third Age: A lord of the rings Role-play
Plot: the end of the third age approaches and as the dawn of the new age rears its head. The world has been changed. The Elves are leaving middle earth are shadow of their former self, Mordor rises again and the forces of the dark lord Sauron swell. The dwarfs have retaken the great fortress of Erebor. But even as they set out to reclaim Moria, dark forces stir beneath the hills of the misty mountains. The Kingdom Of Arnor lies in ruin, while Gondor is a mere shadow of its former self. Rumour’s say that maybe even the white wizard Saruman has succumbed to the dark lord’s whispers while the men of the Rohirrim are still unaware of the danger. The Fortress of Dol Guldur rises again, as the silvian elves prepare to defend their forest. Even with this orcs still roam the countryside at will. And to the east Men look upon Gondor with greedy Eyes
But there is still hope, you can lead your faction to power and to glory and as the dawn of the fourth age approaches it will be your faction that stands proud as the Leaders of Middle Earth.
Factions:
Major Powers:
- Mordor - Battle Bunny
- Isengard - Dexander
- Gondor - sneakyflaps
- High Elves -jeeshadow
- Dwarves - brovahkin
- Rohan -jako473
Minor Powers:
- Silvian Elves - bialsaka
- Rhun - Rovsea
- Harad - Alexander23
- Free people of Eriador - dutchguy
- Orcs of gundabad
- Goblins of the Misty Mountains - firelordsky
- Dale - bakerydog
- Bandits (NPC)
Map:
pfAr6ai.gif

red: Rhun
Grey: Khand
light blue: Gondor
brown: Mordor
light orange: Harad
dark orange: Gundabad
Dark blue: Dale
purple: high elves
yellow: free people of eriador
isengard: white
dwarves: black
rohan: pink
silvan elves: green
puke green: misty mountain goblins
no extra colour: rebels/unocupied
Rules:
Each turn a player will send me a number of moves depending on their level of power. These moves will be PM’ed to me and can cover a wide range of policies and decisions. There are 2 types of moves:
- General Moves can be used for anything except war moves and should explain the developments of your faction. Depending on the Difficulty of the order (it’s a lot harder to build wood huts than a new castle) I will use a random number generator to find the outcome
- War moves: can only be used when at war with someone. Should be a brief 2-4 sentence description about what your troops are doing. E.g: cross from east osgilith to west osgilith at night to launch a sneak attack on the orcs.
- Major Powers get 3 moves and 1 war move while minor powers get 2 moves and 1 war move.
After moves have been sent to me I will write an update about what has happened this year. And after that the New Year will have begun. Every 5 years I will write a global Update which will include a random event and change up something. After this I will give people 2 days break to rethink. You can send in a special order for your 5 years which will automatically pass but will be generic these orders should be like this: increase the guards in the border forts, or begin a new 5 year program to increase the agriculture of our faction.
After every year I will also update the stats of the factions the stats are:
Leader: - which hero is the leader of this faction – a leader can’t be replaced unless the die so pick wisely
Population: the number of your citizens
Money: - current wealth
Income: - money added to current wealth every year
Stability: - how happy your people are with your rule
Production: the industrial value of this faction
Army: - a list of the soldiers in this faction
Navy: - the navy of this faction
Diplomacy: treaties and pacts with other players as well as who they are at war with.
Spies:
Spies can be recruited and used through orders. To recruit spies simply send an order requesting recruitment of a spy. And to use one send an order detailing who the spy will be spying on. If it succeeds I will tell you one of the other players orders next turn. Heroes can be used as spies as detailed below. Spies can also be used to assassinate heroes
Heroes:
Middle earth is a land of heroes. As such during the game heroes will occur. Be they good heroes or bad heroes. A hero will have 1 of 5 positive traits and 1 of 5 negative traits. When a hero dies he or she is out of the game except in the case of Gandalf or the Nazgul.
The traits that heroes can have are:
Positive traits:
Coin counter: +1 to finance rolls
Architect: +1 to building rolls
Courageous Leader: +2 stability
General: +1 to Battles
Agent: +1 to ambushes and Spying
Negative traits:
Corrupt: -1 to finance rolls
Structurally inept: -1 to building rolls
Poor Leader: - 2 stability
Uninspiring: -1 to battles
Visible: -1 to ambushes and Spying
One hero must be chosen to be your leader and this cannot be changed until they die. When you send in an order you can assign a hero to carry out that order and depending on their traits help succeed in that order. It is also worth noting that heroes can be used as spies as mentioned above.
Special heroes:
Gandalf: Gandalf will be randomly assigned to one of the “good” factions in the game. If Gandalf dies he will return in 2 turn as Gandalf the White and be assigned to a random “good” faction again. If he dies twice then he is dead for good.
Nazgul: the nazgul are treated as normal heroes. But are randomly assigned amongst the “bad” factions, in the same way as Gandalf. When a Nazgul dies they will respawn and be randomly assigned again in 5 turns. A Nazgul can also attempt a spy mission to locate the one ring requiring a role of 5+ (can’t be modified) if successful I will PM you the location of the one ring
The one ring: The one ring of Mordor is a powerful weapon that could be disastrous should it fall into the hands of the forces of Mordor. At the beginning of the game the ring will be randomly spawned in a town in middle – earth and will change location every 15 years. If forces of good collect the ring then one hero may try to destroy the ring (all bad forces suffer – stability for the rest of the game) with a role of 6+. If it fails the hero dies and the ring will be randomly placed again. If the “Bad” forces collect it then that force can summon sauron in his full form who becomes the leader of the faction and has all the positive traits and no negative traits

Some actions you do in game will work towards unlocking secret events or cause reactions such as being able to reforge the kingdom of Arnor. However i will not tell you how to do these only when you are capable of fulfilling the event.
These are the rules as they stand feel free to suggest corrections and have input on them.

Last edited:
okay dutchguy confirmed as eriador.

we will start once at least all the major powers and half the minor powers are taken

Hmm. I'm not a super-expert on the LoTR world, but I have a fair amount of knowledge about it. I would love to take Mordor if possible - I have an interesting take on them that I could RP out. Mordor shall be represented by the Mouth of Sauron, His Greatness' most loyal lieutenant and most skilled orator in international diplomacy (i.e. as a faction head).

In as Rhun. Not really sure of an Easterling Hero though...

I tried searching for u but coukdnt find many so you can have a Easterling Nazgul:
Kamul the easterling

Other character:

Amdur lord of blades

Sorry I couldnt find more

Time for a proper signup post :) WIP as of now.
The Free People of Eriador

The Free People of Eriador are not one state.These men and ... hobbits are all loosely bound together against evil.Led by the mythic Dunedain and their Chieftain Aragorn,Son of Arathorn,They occupy most of Eriador, or at least what is left of it.With the ressurection of evil, these people have started uniting under the Heir of the King once more...

The Chieftain, Aragorn, son of Arathorn and Heir of Isildur,is a courageous leader.

Last edited:
In as saruman the white of Isengard. NOOO damn you dexander. ok i take Harad (do they come with the corsair? as its believed they were in an alliance maybe even a confederacy) or the orcs of gundabad (can you tell me their state exactly for after the swarven wars...and the battle of the five armies..werent they mostly destroyed?) Will need a leader too and i can find any harad heroe or what not XC

Last edited:
Rohan! (In as King Theoden, and playing as his son Prince Theodred as regent as I assume Theoden is incapacitated.)

Last edited:
I would love to have Isengard.

In as the Silvan Elves.

Faction head is Thranduil. I'm a little unclear about the leader/hero thing, Thranduil is King of the Woodland Realm, so does that mean I need to pick him as my hero, or could I pick Legolas, for example.

Also, the faction is falled the Silvan Elves, is it specifically the silvan elves of Mirkwood, or does it also include the silvans of Lothlórien as well?

Last edited:
It imcludes lorien which someone called already

are you sure you dont want to separete the elves factions each one on their own faction? mirkwood, Lotholrien and rivendell as their own? first there is no such thing as high elves kingdom anymore only lindon and they are pretty much done for, and each one was too different from each other to make it high elves major-silven minor (when most elves were silvan anyway). just push all the elven factions to minor powers. (or pick one to be the major)

I have the following questions:

Why are the High Elves, and not the Silvan Elves, the major powers? I mean, the Silvan Elves are pretty much the ones who are relevant in the War of the Ring period in the books, aren't they?

Also, you have two faction lists that should be merged.

Is there going to be a rough map of what faction rules what territory? That would help a lot.

Finally, I assume there's going to be a separate roleplay thread where the RPing can start? Considering this is a signup thread, that is. If you swap the Silvans and the High Elves, the minimum requirements for the game's start are fulfilled, by the way. Though we can let it run for a while, I'm not impatient.

Spots availible:
-high elves
- orcs of gundabad
- orcs of the misty mountain
-Dale