• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((To be clear, Forts are 14.3k each.))

((The Cabinet - Private))

In the light of the approximation of costs provided by the competent organs, the Ministry of War would have to postpone these plans until the Ministry of Finance has sufficient funds or the materials and labor needed for these works could be obtained at more reasonable costs..

Last edited:
Memorandum to the Cabinet from the Foreign Office
Private – the Cabinet

Signori,

Those of you who care to recall my previous terms serving within the Foreign Office will know that, in diplomacy, I value two mains goals: namely, the maintenance of cordial relations with our neighbours and the balance of power; and the fostering of clement conditions within the region so that Sardinia-Piedmont may become the dominant of the Italian states.

Achieving this first aim has been a largely consistent element of our foreign policy since the inception of what one would call a recognisable system of government to modern sensibilities. Certainly since 1836, in the aftermath of the ratification of the Albertine Statute, when I first took office as one of His Majesty's Ministers of State, this was the key desire of the Foreign Office, a desire manifested ultimately within fruitless attempts to align ourselves with France, as was then the prevalent mood within Parliament. We would, of course, ultimately prevail in our French courtship, signing articles of alliance during Lord Montezemolo's Ministry. Adding to this concert the upkeep of our cordial relations with the Ballhausplatz in 1843, we see that the current balance of power has existed without problem for nearly a decade.

With the recent murmurings from Paris, one could of course argue that this balance is now under threat. We find ourselves allied now with a resurgent Bonapartist Empire – an empire we would have good cause, based on historical precedence, to fear. Whilst it has been nearly half a century since the current emperor's uncle first ravaged our fields – nearly fifty years, I might add, since I was first granted a commission within that very army and served amidst the conflict in the Peninsular theatre – it would seem that, where wounds are profound, they do not soon heal.

To adopt such an attitude, however, would be to examine only the superficial aspects of the situation. The alliance, signed by my own hand nearly a decade ago, is more than a mere scrap of paper. Whilst we have hitherto had no reason to exercise and test the validity of its clauses – a small mercy amidst the turmoil of three years prior – to hold open fears of renewed French animosity would be to display an alarming lack of faith in the established system of diplomacy. Were Emperor Napoleon to abrogate his good will towards us and break with the existing treaty as it is in renewing hostilities, there would be uproar amongst the powers of Europe. And rightly so. Outrage from our British cousins – who have always held great sympathy for Italian interests – or our friends in Vienna – whose friendship we value so highly – or perhaps even our northern friends in Berlin would be acute and any censure sincere. France has no claims to Piedmontese mountains; to Sardinian soil! War between us would be reckless and deleterious for all involved, and I should scarcely say that seeking such a status as a pariah is chief amongst Parisian concerns.

With this in mind, it is paramount that we act with continued amity towards our French allies. Where they have shown us no ill, we must not reward their friendship via expressions of fear owing to imagined threats to our security. Constructing forts in frontier regions, for example, on the pretence of guarding against various radical views and such scarcely-held beliefs would be a prime realisation of such fears – and a scheme against which I must therefore strongly advise, not in the least having seen recent statements from the Treasury. If conflict is to come with France, it is because our lack of faith in the valued friendship between our two nations will have brought it upon us. The Bonpartist regime must merely be approached with cordiality and we shall be repaid.

Returning now to the Italian concert, having I believe made my position vis-à-vis the French abundantly clear, we should not make overtures to disrupt it, and I shall not do so. Good relations with the French, the Austrians and the Sicilians, which, if my civil servants are correct, I am to believe we hold, need only to be upheld. Our respective embassies and diplomatic missions shall continue in their work, and we shall not seek to entangle ourselves in becoming party to any new treaties of alliance.

Should this civil peace within Italy be upheld as it has for the past decade, therefore, we shall be able to prosecute our domestic policy unhindered by alarming external concerns. It is in this manner that we come to my second stated aim: that of dominance within the peninsula. This, naturally, is not to be achieved via military means – rather, I should have our foreign policy allow internal development to proceed unimpeded. Unconcerned by detrimental and internecine conflicts within Italy, our position as leader of the peninsula, provided we are not overcome by complacency, will be largely unchallenged. For this, we require peace and little else – and in this respect I intend to deliver peace renewed.

The Rt. Hon. Don Carlo Agostino Uleri, M.P.
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs

Answer of the Ministry of War to the memorandum to the Cabinet from the Foreign Office
Private – the Cabinet

Signori,

The Ministry of War cannot agree with the position of the Foreign Office regarding the improvement of the fortifications of the Kingdom, for the defensive potential of the realm should be developed, whether we are in cordial relationships with the Bonapartist France or not. The seas of the international politics are stormy and tend to change quite rapidly - and hoping that our internal security would never be threatened by war due to signed agreements is a rather idealistic approach. The ancient authors have wisely said :Si vis pacem, para bellum - and developed armed forces and system of defense of the Kingdom is the best guarantee against an assault on our sovereignity in the future. The Ministry of War must note that buildng fortifications in Nice and Savoy cannot be called a hostile gesture towards France to a smallest extent, it is not compatible to, say, concentration of troops on the border with the empire - for Emperor Napoleon could disapprove of such actions only if he indeed harboured expansionist ambitions regarding these regions. This decision, after all, is only the first step in the overall improvement of the fortifications of the Kingdom the Ministry of War would like to pursue - and cannot be considered as directed precisely against France, even if we keep certain dangers that may potentially come from it in the future, in mind, when we choose such path. The Ministry of War must also note that upholding the peaceful foreign policies cannot be construed as deliberately becoming vulnerable for potential dangers by ignoring the neccessity to improve our armed forces and defense system. Being weak does not equal being peaceful and safe.

However, since currenty the state of the Treasure does not allow us to implement any reasonable betterment of the fortification system, it can only be a subject of theoretical discussion.

Since my Right Honorable friend mentioned the balance of forces within Europe, I would like to ask, whether the Foreign Office intends to works on improving our relationships the new great power arisen in Europe, the North German Federation, and whether the relationships with the Kingdom of Two Sicilies, which became much more cordial under the previous administration, would be developed further and could possibly lead to any agreement of cooperation - or the Minister of Foreign Affairs is of the position that our aim is to be maintaining the status quo, without entering into any new obligations or friendships?

- Cesare Luigi Amat, Marchese di Soleminis and Minister of War

Last edited:
Official Budget for 1851

Taxes:
Poor: 80%
Middle: 77%
Rich: 62%

Expenses:
Industrial Subsidies: 0

Stockpile:
Land: 28%
Naval: 40%
Construction: 100%

Other Expenses:
Education: 35%
Administration: 40%
Social Spending: 0%
Military Spending: 40%

Tarrifs
Tariffs: 10%

Contingency 1: Debt
Should the treasury ever fall below £1000 in circumstances of a deficit, the land stockpile shall be reduced to 30%. If this failes to reach a surplus, then the Military Spending shall be reduced to 30%. If this fails to reach a surplus, Education shall be reduced to 30%. If this fails to reach a surplus, then Administration shall be reduced to 30%. If this fails to reach a surplus, then Taxes will be raised in increments of 4% across all strata until a surplus is reached.

Contingency 2: War
In the event the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont be involved in a state of war, foreign or domestic, Military spending is to be hiked to 85% and the Land Stockpile to 100%. In order to compensate for budgetary defects in this incident, taxes will be temporarily hiked across the board by 5% and tariffs will be increased until a surplus is reached. Should this fail, Taxes are to be increased by 10% on each strata of society until we reach surplus. On the conclusion of the state of War, civil or external, taxes and tariffs are to be reduced to the pre-war level and Contingency 1 applies as normal. Contingency 2 supercedes Contingency 1.

Contingency 3: Surplus
Should the treasury be greater than £1000 and receiving a daily surplus of greater than £30, then administration, land stockpile, and education, in that respective order, shall be raised until the daily surplus reaches £15. These expenditure hikes shall be carried out in increases of 3% before a subsequent 3% expenditure hike is applied to the next department.

Lucius Vico Balbo ((Il Praetorani Private))

((Could industrialists build forts? Possible on contract with government?))

((Uhhh.... I guess they could donate money towards their construction. I dunno that they could build them completely on their own initiative.))

EDIT: ((By the way, Gen. Marshall, if you could update the pending business list the next time you're around, that would be great.))

((Private-Cabinet))

I a man of peace and a firm believer in the sacred order of the Congress of Vienna. However, I also believe that Sardinia-Piedmont must protect herself and be prepared for foreign aggression. The events of 1848- namely the rise of a new Germany, nationalist rebellions in Italy and Hungary, and ascension of a new Bonaparte- have placed the order of Vienna in serious jeopardy. At any moment war could flare up on the continent. I want Sardinia-Piedmont to be prepared in case the worst of our fears come true and we are dragged into a conflict. Thus, I believe the construction of new forts is necessary, though it will have to wait for the future. We should continue to foster friendly relations with France but we should also be ready for all possibilities.

-the Prime Minister

((It seems we just need the tech plan and MOJ instructions))

Private – the Cabinet

Signori,

Taking into account the worries expressed by the Secretary of State for War, allow me, if I may, to endeavour to allay any concerns that have arisen in light of the recent outline of policy from the Foreign Office.

I take first worries that the Foreign Office is against all infrastructural development within our borders, noting first that to have drawn such a sentiment from my previous declaration represents either poor articulation on my part or an unfortunate misinterpretation by the Minister. The Foreign Office is, naturally, fully supportive of all attempts to strengthen the Kingdom, being keenly aware of the necessity of maintaining a modern and effective infrastructure in preparation for those unfortunate, though inevitable, lapses in eirenic diplomacy. Rather, I must take exception to the idea that such a scheme of development should be inspired by supposed revanchist policies extant within France's ruling class. Noting that the France remains a valued and steadfast ally of the Kingdom, it would be a gross and alarming declaration of our lack of trust in this alliance were we to cite possible future hostilities between our nations as the reason for undertaking such a programme of construction. If we wish to improve our nation's forts – a reasonable desire – then can it not simply be of its own merit?

With regard to the Minister's queries as to the nature of our various diplomatic missions' respective activities – especially with the Italian peninsula – it is of course the desire of the Foreign Office to continue to develop the amicable and friendly relations we hold with those nations whom we currently entertain. The establishment of an embassy at all constitutes an act of good-will and friendship, and so the continuation of a mission's work will of course entail the furthering of friendly relations. All ambassadors will be expected to develop cordial relations between ourselves and the nation to whom they attend. Diplomacy, as an ever-developing business, does not react well to the obstinate pursuance of the status quo, and attempting such is therefore as ineffective as it is reactionary. One can, however, limit one's sphere of interest to an optimal level – and it is with this in mind that I state merely that it is not my desire to have us enter into any new treaties of alliance within Europe, as opposed to rejecting all further involvement in European affairs.

I trust this satisfies queries raised hitherto, though shall of course endeavour to assuage any further desires for clarification should they arise.

The Rt. Hon. Don Carlo Agostino Uleri, M.P.
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs

Statement from the Ministry of Justice

It has come to our attention that an illegal organization calling itself the League of Turinese Tradesmen, whose continued existence is a flagrant violation of the Sovereignty Defense Act and Anti-Union Act. We will therefore be taking action to dissolve this union immediately and order its leadership to cease all illegal actions at once or face criminal charges.

We also do not intend to tolerate the presence of the Chartist and suffrage movements operating illegally in the country. We will act to suppress all suffrage movements as effectively as possible and with all deliberate speed.

- Mario del Fungi, OSF, Minister of Justice

MINISTRY OF JUSTICE OF THE KINGDOM OF SARDINIA-PIEDMONT
FERT FERT FERT

Player Actions Needed:
Okay, voting open. Vote on the [post=18641461]Chamber Gag Bill II[/post], [post=18642308]Amendment to the Act for Proper Administration[/post], [post=18642308]
Bill for the Regulation of Military Martial Law[/post], and [post=18643864]Judicial Organization and Hierarchy Amendment[/post]. We also have the [post=18645967]Official Budget for 1851[/post]. EDIT: I've added the [post=18635636]Repeal the State Correspondence Act[/post], [post=18635636]Dignity of the Parliament Act[/post]

Due to their overwhelming victory in the last election, the ruling party's confidence bonus will be +80%.

Sample Ballot:
[post=18641461]Chamber Gag Bill II[/post]: Yes/No/Abstain
[post=18642308]Amendment to the Act for Proper Administration[/post]: Yes/No/Abstain
[post=18642308]Bill for the Regulation of Military Martial Law[/post]: Yes/No/Abstain
[post=18643864]Judicial Organization and Hierarchy Amendment[/post]: Yes/No/Abstain
[post=18645967]Official Budget for 1851[/post]: Yes/No/Abstain
[post=18635636]Repeal the State Correspondence Act[/post]: Yes/No/Abstain
[post=18635636]Dignity of the Parliament Act[/post]: Yes/No/Abstain

[Your Class Here] ((Don't forget this.))
[Bonuses, etc.]

EDIT: I added two items to the ballot.

This voting period will last two days, until 7 PM PST on Saturday, 1/3. (that's 3 AM GMT, 1/4).

Last edited:
Chamber Gag Bill II: No
Amendment to the Act for Proper Administration: Yes
Bill for the Regulation of Military Martial Law: No
Judicial Organization and Hierarchy Amendment: No
Official Budget for 1851: No

[Politician]
[No Bonus]

It is under the auspices of my recent decision to retract some of my statements towards the Prime Minister that I stand firm to gladly accept his offer of ambassadorship under the condition that I may return to Sardinia-Piedmonte under any circumstance that a case within the High Court of Honor occur and hereby yield all my votes within the Chamber of Deputies to Signore di Barnardi until my eventual return ((No IG effect, but makes for IC explanation, I think.)) It is also under these circumstances that I accept the request of the Marquis di Solemnis and shall be transferring documents to his son, posthaste. Hopefully I shall find luck in my journey, and I will depart immediately following our current vote and the resolution of the three cases currently within the High Court of Honor.

- Marzio Pedrotti

((Private-Privy Council))

The voting period has concluded and the council has unanimously decided ((3-0-0)) to appoint Signor Constantino Telemaco Parassani ((sealy300)) as the Praetor di Nizza. Congratulations to our new praetor.

((Public))

Chamber Gag Bill II: Si
Amendment to the Act for Proper Administration: Si
Judicial Organization and Hierarchy Amendment: Si
Official Budget for 1851: Si
Repeal the State Correspondence Act: Si
Dignity of the Parliament Act: Si

I advise all my fellow conservatives to support the Dignity of Parliament Act after the minor alterations the Marchese di Solemnis has made to ensure that the act would not consitute a counterreform. It is crucial that union thugs will not be able to intimidate future parliaments.

I also urge my fellow deputies and senators to vote in support of the new budget. Our funds are quite tight but this budget should provide for all sectors of society and ensure a healthy surplus.

-Conte Bonaretti di Nizza, Prime Minister and Senator

viimanelotildeppprovencigavaumlike_zps7e18fbd4.jpg

Chamber Gag Bill II: Yes
Judicial Organization and Hierarchy Amendment: Yes
Official Budget for 1851: Yes
Repeal the State Correspondence Act: Yes
Dignity of the Parliament Act: Yes

[Aristocrat]
[Senator, +25% PP,
Duke, +100% PP
]

-His Grace Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Duca of Provence and Barone of Rubicon, Praetor of Savoy and Senator for Life
Order of Saint Francis de Sales, Second Class

Chamber Gag Bill II: Yes
Bill for the Regulation of the Military Martial Law: No
Judical Organisation and Hierarchy Amendment: Yes
Official Budget for 1851: Yes
Repeal the State Correspobdence Act: Yes
Dignity of the Parliament Act: Yes

[Militarist]
[No bonus]

((Re-post because I forgot to add my class and bonuses)))

Judicial Organization and Hierarchy Amendment: Si
Official Budget for 1851: Si
Repeal the State Correspondence Act: Si
Dignity of the Parliament Act: Si

[Aristocrat]
[Senator: +25%; Battling the Hydra: +50%]

-Conte Bonaretti di Nizza, Prime Minister and Senator

render.php

Chamber Gag Bill II: Nay
Amendment to the Act for Proper Administration: Aye
Bill for the Regulation of Military Martial Law: Nay
Judicial Organization and Hierarchy Amendment: Aye
Official Budget for 1851: Aye
Repeal the State Correspondence Act: Aye
Dignity of the Parliament Act: Aye

[Militarist]
[No Bonus]

~Alessandro Niccolo Gonzaga di Collegno, Viscount of Collegno, Major-General of the Kingdom of Sardinia