• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I don't know, I'm afraid))

((I thought I might give to some people with potentially less to do...))

((Also, 100 pages and 2000 posts! Let's celebrate))

((And we have only gone 10 years, I think we may be in for a big one, lol.

Proceeds to celebrate))

After being rejected by the RSL and unwilling to get thrown in jail after such a short time di Antico publishes his novel in the UK. If one could get away with it, any member could read imports from Britain.

wL5ONi8.png

STATEMENTS TO THE CHAMBER OF DEPUTIES
Chamber of Deputies -- Public

Honourable Deputies,

I wish to raise this subject not to detract from the fresh and important debates which are presently taking place in the Chamber, but to address the points raised by some of the esteemed members of this House relating to the recent General Strike. I am, of course, happy to respond to the question and concerns fielded by members on this matter, but also must ask that the Chamber, with such important topics before it, spends adequate time examining proposed bills and evaluating draft legislation.

There are some for whom setting the Army upon the striking workers was the preferred solution. It must be noted, to echo the apt statements made by the Honourable Sig. Parassani, that there is some difficulty in imposing such a solution if the Army takes approximately ninety days to return to the mainland while the strike runs its course in six.

As such, the Army could only arrive in force well after the strikers had completed their protest. To set the soldiers upon people who had since returned to their homes would have certainly raised the people’s militancy while doing nothing to prevent or reverse any legislation that may have been imposed on account of the general strike.

jSeik77.png

Furthermore, as the Honourable Sig. Parassani indicated, the absence of the Chief of the General Staff also afforded to the generals considerable latitude in pursuing the military solution that some have sought. Without the co-ordinating leadership of the Chief of the General Staff, some generals and their units opted to remain in Tunisia, holding their positions due to lack of clear instructions from High Command.

Taking heed of these dual considerations -- the factors of time and military organisation -- it is clear that pressing for a military solution to the general strike was not a viable solution. It should be mentioned here that responding the strikes falls within the jurisdiction of the Government and the Privy Council. Had the estimable members of the Privy Council disagreed with the reasoning presented by the Government, it would have fallen within the purview of Council to recommend a military solution to His Majesty the King.

Open and level-headed dialogue with the labour leadership brought about a commitment to fifteen years of industrial harmony, an agreement to which both parties are expected to abide. Bearing in mind the circumstances, the Government looks to the resolution of the general strike as an accomplishment.​

MONTEZEMOLO

Last edited:
((Private))

In the absence of any other parties presenting themselves for the job, I will nominate for the chairmanship of the League of Industrial Captains.

I must also indicate to my fellow industrialists that I propose that the League take a proactive role in demanding more support from our government for the promotion of industry, both in respect of direct financial support and in establishing an environment more conducive to investment than has heretofore been the case.

Guiseppe Camilleri

((Senatorial and Chief of Staff votes should be done by now, no?))

Bonaretti throws "The Trials and Tribulations of Agostino di Falco" in the fireplace help keep his room warm

((They SHOULD be. I think LatinKaiser forgot to close them :/))

((They SHOULD be. I think LatinKaiser forgot to close them :/))

((Forgot? Inconceivable! :eek:o))

((The vote on Senators is now closed. Everyone who voted voted for both candidates.))

I would like to thank this Council for appointing both the esteemed leader of I Tradizionalisti, Count GiacomoBonaretti, and myself to the Senate.

~ Antonio Maria Enrico di Susa, Marquess of Susa, Senator from Susa, and Lord President of the Privy Council

((Have we voted on a new Chief of Staff yet?))

((Private))

In the absence of any other parties presenting themselves for the job, I will nominate for the chairmanship of the League of Industrial Captains.

I must also indicate to my fellow industrialists that I propose that the League take a proactive role in demanding more support from our government for the promotion of industry, both in respect of direct financial support and in establishing an environment more conducive to investment than has heretofore been the case.

Guiseppe Camilleri

((Private - League of Industrial Captains))

Actually, Signor Camilleri, I am also running for the chairmanship. I do not know whether this affects your decision or not, but I certainly hope you take it into consideration.

I agree with your proposal for the League to take a more proactive stance. This is what the League is intended for and what it has so far failed to achieve in its short time of existence. Hopefully it will have more successes in the future.

~ Ernesto Granelli

((Private - Il Granrealisti))

Vote on Party Policy: Pro-Military

While I do believe that we must return to true isolationism, the necessity of a strong military is one which will exist as long as our neighbors desire what rightfully belongs to His Majesty.

- Marzio Pedrotti

((You could chose not too. The Military was originally set up not to need one, we don't really require one either.

And if you do, you should include the decision not to re-create the position.))

((In other words: If I can't have it no one can! :angry:))

((Private))

Signor Granelli

I apologise not being aware that you were running for the Chairmanship. I had no intention to run agianst you as I am more than happy with your leadership of the League.

If it may assist, my greivances with the governments to date, of all hue, have been their criminal neglect of our industries. The rabble rousers have been appeased after disrupting our factories with their strike. The generals have been appeased with their war which was paid for by the taxes that stripped hard earned profitss from our pockets. The aristocrats are appeased by their indulgence in shooting and stabbing each other whilst factories lie idle.

We need leaders who understand that the business of Sardinia Piedmont is business. We supply the goods that earnt the gold, we provide the jobs which keep the people happy, we produce the materials upon which the State is built. Until the government gets industry going, we will never be able to achieve the lofty goals which our politicians speak of ad nauseum.

My humble suggestions are that the Government firstly subsidise our industries, including reopening the closed factories, to repair the damage from the General Strike and allow us the breathing room until these enterprises can get back on their feet. Secondly, the Government needs to cut the taxes on the top bracket to allow us to accumulate the capital to invest in new factories and expand exisiting facilities. It is a false economy to take the money from us and then seek to loan us back the same money but charge us interest. Finally, the Government needs to invest in researching modern methods of industrial production to improve efficiency and make us competitive with foreign rivals. Once our economy is on a sound footing, then the ship of State can sail forth.

Yours in profit

Guiseppe Camilleri

((Private: Il Granrealisti))

With 2 out of the 3 eligible members to vote having voted for Pro Military (as Party Leader I feel I should by default abstain from the vote, I already have the influence of deciding what options there are as power enough), a Pro Military policy will now replace that of Jingoism in the official Party Manifesto.

((Public))

The following is now the current Manifesto of Il Granrealisti, with changes underlined.

OOFvPFw.png

Right thinking conservatives and traditionalists are dismayed by the actions of I Tradizionalisti, who have betrayed their roots and values for Italian Nationalism, Industrialist Plutocrats, and Free Trade.

The recent budget exemplifies this - Prime Minister Pec and his Minister of Commerce di San Marzano slashed the crucial administrative and military budgets of this nation in favour of removing vital tariffs and openning up our peasantry to foreign predation.

The Caucus has shown that I Tradizionalsti is unwilling to do what has to be done, and embrace State Capitalism and anti-nationalism. Instead, enough members of I Tradizionalisti came together to pass inflammatory reforms to cause question whether they can truly be called a Conservative party! If the aristocracy is too willing to compromise with the Left, we must force it to compromise with the Right!

With this in mind, we form Il Granrealisti, a party dedicated to conservativism, traditional values, King, God, and Country, dedicated to protecting this nation from those who do it ill and its residence from the same, both from within and without!

We stand for: the preservation of our traditional values, the preservation of the power of the Monarchy, the preservation of the Union of Church and State and the spiritual and temporal power of the Pope, the traditional priviledges of the peasantry, domestic peace and tranquility, and for economic stability and prosperity!

We stand against: disasterous policies of free trade, plutocracy, Italian nationalism, rampant liberalism, frivolous wars against European powers, and the disestablishment of Church and State!

Il Granrealisti have risen up, to ensure good governance, prosperity, and traditional Sardinian-Piedmontese values are preserved!

Policies of Il Granrealisti

Pro-Military: Sardinia-Piedmont must be defended against those who seek harm against her! A strong military, external colonies, and Great Power status are the strongest counter against those seeking the disestablishment of our nation. However, we must take care to avoid frivolours wars of aggression in Europe - the sons of Sardinia-Piedmont may die for their nation if need be, but we shall not allow them to die in vain for the interests of vainglorious leaders or plutocratic greed! However, during times of peace it is prudent to reduce funding to our military to some degree, to ensure that money that can be better spent elsewhere is not wasted.

Moralism: We are a kingdom loyal to our faith and our Pope, and it is by the Grace of God we survive and prosper. The disestablishment of State and Church is but a stepping stone on a path of moral degeneracy!

State Capitalism: Private industry has its uses, but its excesses must be tempered by the power of government. The state must be able to take control of, subsidise, and tax companies as necessary, and be able to take control of the construction of factories itself. The state will be the final arbiter of when, where, and how much industrialisation is necessary, so as to prevent private capital from hurting our nation, its economy, and the peasantry that are the backbone of our nation. The social contract demands that just as the rural peasantry have a responsibility to their aristocrats, so too do the aristocrats to protect their peasants - we must ensure that Industrialism and capitalism are not allowed to run roughshod over the traditional backbone of Sardinia-Piedmont to their detriment!

Protectionism: Trade must serve Sardinia-Piedmont, not her neighbours! Tariffs are a necessary part of protecting our industries and our citizens from the predations of those who would do us ill!

Residency: We have no need of granting further rights to migrants and refugees from across the borders. We have few enough foreigners in Sardinia Piedmont as it is, and we have no need to encourage more potential sabouteurs.

Anti-Reformism: Sardinia-Piedmont must not engage in the moral degeneracy of Liberalism and the godless blasphemy of Revolution! Deligitimising the King and his Councils, depriving the King of his God-Given right to rule and expanding the franchise merely brings us closer to disaster. Those who would break down our system seek to trick the peasantry, illiterate and innumerate as they are, into voting them into power. It is the responsibility of the ruling classes of Sardinia to protect our people from those who would do them ill among us, and this means that reform for reform's sake, and for the benefit of the spectre of Liberalism, must be discouraged.

Anti-Nationalism: "Italy" is a creation of Napoleon and his cadre of morally bankrupt Liberals. Italian Nationalism seeks to dethrone the pope, dethrone King Charles Albert for another monarch (if not demolish the concept of monarchy in totality), and would see Sardinia-Piedmont reduced to a province of another land. Loyal servants of God and Crown must reject Italian Nationalism, and it must be fought at all costs!

Peace in Europe: We have no intention of disturbing the peace of Europe by dragging Sardinia-Piedmont into foreign adventures against European powers. The current status of Europe is conducive to prosperity, security, and stability for all states, and is essential in preventing the rise of Jacobinism and Bonapartism, both here and abroad. Barring our alliance a single European Great Power, preferably Austria, which is necessary for our own peace and security, Il Granrealisti will not engage in foreign crises or conflicts where we are not threatened by a clear and present danger.

Colonial Expansion: Sardinia-Piedmont must not be left behind by the other powers of Europe in profits from foreign colonies. I Tradizionalisti's waffling on the issue of the conquest of Tunisia is a mistake which shall not be repeated under Granrealisti government! Furthermore, Tunisia was merely a stepping stone - we shall seek potential expansion in Morocco, Algeria, and even African Egypt, where it will not cause conflicts with European powers.

Last edited:
Private – the Prime Minister

Most Honourable Signor,

I must apologise sincerely and profusely for the lateness at which this letter find you. Having endeavoured to set about in composing a response to your previous correspondence two days ago, I was overcome by a sudden headache and so had to retire to bed. Upon waking, I had the misfortune to discover that my secretary had filed away my letters, and so I was unable to find your last epistle. Nevertheless, I have now resolved my problems, and so shall bore you with them no longer.

I trust that the conduct and work of our diplomatists in Vienna during these past two years has been as pleasing to you as it has been to the Foreign Office. While I remain thankful that our cordial relations with the Ballhauplatz have been upheld – and shall be for the foreseeable future – I must return to your original query regarding the appointment of a permanent head of the mission (the mission being currently led by a chargé d'affaires, as you are no doubt aware.) Having devoted myself recently to the task of finding a candidate whom I may offer to you as a potential ambassador, I wish to offer the following names for your consideration; namely, the Hon. Sig. Carlo Asti Angelino, the Hon. Sig. Eugenio Mario Amadeo di Barnardi and, noting his recent return from the Holy See, the Rt. Hon. Count of Trecate and Galliate.

These names I present to you on the grounds of their previously expressed support for the fostering of amicable relations between ourselves and Vienna, particularly during the vote in the Chamber on alliances in 1836. I trust you find them candidates worthy of your consideration.

Turning my regard now to that long-discussed subject of the establishment of seminaries, I must note my deep grief to hear of the tragic death of our Rt. Hon. Friend the Count of Cagliari two years ago. In light of the continued absence of a successor at the Ministry of the Interior, however, I must urge that we do not let the sordid event cloud our ability to legislate and govern for the benefit of the Kingdom, and therefore ask if you would grant me leave to present to the Chamber a bill, its design providing for such actions as we have previously discussed, so that we may encourage all proper and due debate upon the issue within the legislature? Similarly, if you feel you may desire to collaborate in the drafting of such a bill, I would be most grateful to receive your assistance with the matter.

Your points concerning the establishment of precedent for custom in the Chamber are unquestionably valid, and therefore I concede on the issue. Considering also our current proximity to the next general election, it would be somewhat inconsequential were we to effect the creation of such a position at the present.

Please accept this humble expression of my sentiments with the highest regard,

Carlo Agostino Uleri

((Secret - I Pretoriani))

The Opening of the
First National Convention of
the Praetorian Party

Gentlemen! It is pleasure to have you here today. I would like to thank the most honourable Marchese di Montezemolo for hosting us here today. But above all, allow me to congratulate not just the Marchese, as the leader of His Majesty's Government, but all the ministers of said government assembled here today. We did not expect the heavy mantle of statesmanship to don our shoulders so suddenly. Yet these gentlemen have showed nothing less than vigour and aplomb in their duties to His Majesty and the people of the Kingdom. Congratulations, gentlemen!

Now, let us proceed to the affairs of the party. It is my pleasure to announce that the Praetorian Party shall contest seats in Piemonte and Sardegna in the next election. By our past success, we have demonstrated the popularity of our programme. Let us now carry it to all corners of the Kingdom. Henceforth, the Praetorians shall be a truly national movement.

Second is the matter of the National Executive. This body stands thus: myself, as the President of the Party; Maggior Generale Luciano d'Manin-Grimani as the Vice-President for Martial Affairs; and Signore Enrico Lucio Leone as the Vice-President for Economic Affairs. Hitherto precluded from holding any formal convention as we were, the Executive has yet to be ratified by the membership. I would seek to rectify this. Therefore, I invite the assembled gentlemen to vote to affirm the National Executive in its present composition.

This matter having been settled, I would proceed to the formation of our national manifesto for the election. Though this had been agreed informally between the gentlemen of the party prior to its creation, I believe it right and proper to have it formally adopted, or altered, as the membership desire. We would thus vote on the policies that this party shall adopt should it be called upon again to join His Majesty's Government. Any other matters of substantial interest to the party, or proposals to be incorporated into the manifesto to the nation, shall also be introduced at this stage. For the ease of convenience and order, however, it shall be that a motion must be sponsored by the Executive, or any member thereof, before it shall be brought to a vote. We would not wish to stifle any expression, but merely to ensure that the process is as clear and orderly as possible.

The First National Convention of the Praetorian Party is now open!

Constantino Telemaco Parassani

((Voting:

Affirm the Executive: Aye/Nay
Economic Policy: Laissez-Faire/Interventionism/State Capitalism
Trade Policy: Free Trade/Protectionism
Religious Policy: Moralism/Pluralism/Secularised/Atheist
Citizenship Policy: Residency/Limited Citizenship/Full Citizenship
War Policy: Jingoism/Pro-Military/Anti-Military/Pacifist

The voting for the Executive and the policy shall close in two days on Wednesday at 22:00pm GMT+0. Any other motions can now be introduced. These would need to be sponsored one of the Executive (Syriana, G.K., Nodscouterr) in order to be brought to a vote, so that they don't get lost or muddled. The introduction of motions, and the voting thereon, shall continue for another four days until Friday.))

Last edited:
Affirm the Executive: Aye
Economic Policy: Laissez-Faire
Trade Policy: Free Trade
Religious Policy: Pluralism
Citizenship Policy: Limited Citizenship
War Policy: Pro-Military

- Colonel Marco Bernardo Vitali, Military Attaché to France

Last edited:
((Secret - I Pretoriani))

Affirm the Executive: Aye
Economic Policy: Laissez-Faire
Trade Policy: Free Trade
Religious Policy: Pluralism
Citizenship Policy: Limited Citizenship
War Policy: Pro-Military

~ Ernesto Granelli

Last edited:
[/B]- Major General Marco Bernardo Vitali, Military Attaché to France

"I would like to remind Colonel Vitali that he was stripped of his rank of Major-General of Nice, and was demoted back down to a Colonel some years ago."

-General Honoré della Pes, Count of Santa-Maria Di Leuca

Last edited: