• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, as I like ERE, I guess Orthodox is one of them.

I enjoy the Indian religions when I play them, though I don't usually have much of an interest.

Norse has enjoyable flavor stuff.

Messalian is the one true religion. It's like playing Zoro's, but with no concubines to cheat your way out of horrific, never-ending incest and female priests.

Right now it has to be Islam. With the 0% decadence bug/exploit it's piss easy to invade entire kingdoms and convert them all quickly due to your moral authority being at a stable 100%.

But exploit/bugs aside, I like unreformed Germanic/Norse, because you can conquer pretty much anywhere and start something new. Maybe your Swedish viking can harass the Ummayyads and eventually form Portugal.

Right now it has to be Islam. With the 0% decadence bug/exploit it's piss easy to invade entire kingdoms and convert them all quickly due to your moral authority being at a stable 100%.

But exploit/bugs aside, I like unreformed Germanic/Norse, because you can conquer pretty much anywhere and start something new. Maybe your Swedish viking can harass the Ummayyads and eventually form Portugal.

I'll do anything to avoid the spread of that nauseating bright green all over the Religion tab.

Norse, all the way.

I kind of like India but I don't like the experience with it, of the unrealistic "we hate each other" thing. India didn't have the same Islam vs Xanity going on. Sure, they fought for resources, land, and everything else. They even fought over ideology and religion. But they didn't go launching, like, genocides over it, like the crusades or holocaust for example.

Zunists get all those fancy events based on memes and speculative history, but Orthodox get nothing on theosis or mysticism and Catholics can't even get realistic Crusades...

It's basically the world of fanboys, with everything that entails.

Personally, I've had thoroughly enjoyable experiences with most religions - though the bland ones are truly quite bland. Islam, Catholic, Buddhist, and Norse have probably provided the most fun.

Well, I'm having a blast playing as the Welsh/Buddhist Count of Salerno (in southern Italy) so I'm going with Buddhism. For some reason, I actually enjoy the constant ambition to improve myself.

Zoroastrians because incest.

That is all.
This
Messalian is the one true religion. It's like playing Zoro's, but with no concubines to cheat your way out of horrific, never-ending incest and female priests.

and this
Because incest + devil worship + females can hold titles

Catholics (because a Catholic ERE with a pet pope is pretty damn badass) and Norse.

Norse, all the way.

I kind of like India but I don't like the experience with it, of the unrealistic "we hate each other" thing. India didn't have the same Islam vs Xanity going on. Sure, they fought for resources, land, and everything else. They even fought over ideology and religion. But they didn't go launching, like, genocides over it, like the crusades or holocaust for example.
The crusades do not really qualify as genocide. And the holocaust is not really relevant to the time span of Crusader Kings 2. However, if we include things that have happened during the last century then India does certainly qualify when it comes to bloodshed thanks to religious differences.

Jainism is great religion especially if you play as Mongol performing world conquest, you still keep you Tribal Invasion and get all great bonuses of Jainism! Jaingis Khan is cool. Wanna have heir for sure - just take more concubines, wanna change you heir - it is legitimate decision, no religious uprisings of conquered territories, revoking infidel titles once crown law allows to, vassal opinion modifiers and demesne bonus and still Kingdom-level invasion!!!

Shia Islam, Zoroastrianism and Norse. The challenge with the added bonus (in the case of Norse & the Shia) of having a secular title for head of the religion.

Catholic and Orthodox. Catholicism has the best mechanics and it's my religion IRL so I'm a bit biased towards it and Orthodox because for some reason I just really like it. Even when I'm the King of Ireland I'll try to help the Byzzies as much as I can. Partially to stop the Great Green Blobs and partially because it actually saddens me to see the ERE fall.

Last edited:
Fraticelli, because it's like catholicism but it's challenging like a heresy. Also, fighting the evil Church as a Franciscan fanatic is fun (especially if you read Dan Simmons' Hyperion).

Germanic and Cathar. Because watching the Big White Blob in the Religion map dissolve is fun.