• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

witchveil

Obsession: Tea
84 Badges
Feb 27, 2014
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • For the Motherland
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
Playing as Mercia in 769 I was able to immediately change succession laws to anything, even Primogeniture. Is this working as intended?
Also, on forming the Kingdom of England my succession law reverted back to Gavelkind (from Primogeniture), is that also supposed to happen?

p1TXOz8.jpg

Playing as Mercia in 769 I was able to immediately change succession laws to anything, even Primogeniture. Is this working as intended?
What are you talking about? You haven't had to play for 10 years, just ruled for 10.

Also, on forming the Kingdom of England my succession law reverted back to Gavelkind (from Primogeniture), is that also supposed to happen?
I think so, since primogeniture requires high CA.

Succession laws ignore Crown Authority if the parent kingdom doesn't exist and you are independent.

Succession law resetting has been an issue for a very long time, and IIRC at some point Paradox apparently tried to fix it, but that was months ago.
I think so, since primogeniture requires high CA.
That shouldn't be the case, for the same reason that you don't lose Primo if you lower to Medium Authority through faction for example.

Succession laws ought to transfer to a created de-jure parent and I am very much sure that it was meant to be so.

Yes. If I recall correctly, if the de-jure kingdom doesn't yet exist, you can institute Primo as a Duke. And after that, if you form the kingdom, the kingdom will take the succession laws of the duchy.

Guess the part about kingdom inheriting the duchy succession law has been fixed, so that everyone starts the ladder with Gavelkind.

I am kinda new to CK2 and played one game - complete learning experience - as Duke of Ulster aiming at eventually becoming Emperor of Britania in pre-CM patch version.

Leaving gavelkind to primogeniture was cakewalk, it took just the 10 years of ruling and then presto by the time I became King of Ireland I had primogeniture.

Then patch came and decided to begin anew as King Karl in West Francia aiming at HRE and eventually I do not know where (NB: Still this is a learning experience as evident in the few threads I have started with questions).

Here, gavelkind is almost an insurmountable issue as to get to primogeniture I need high CA AND Legalism at 3!!!!! Now former OK to achieve in the span of 2-3 kings but level 3 Legalism requires something like 600 points in 800AD or so....

I do not know if this change was introduced with 2.2 (don't know if it is even a change!) but it seems to me to have been made too hard. I do not know if this is to reflect a historic reality but I do not see why primogeniture may have been such an achievement over the centuries. Then again I may be wrong

Succession laws ignore Crown Authority if the parent kingdom doesn't exist and you are independent.
Well if you are a duke under a de jure kingdom that does not exist, this is not necessary.
Yes. If I recall correctly, if the de-jure kingdom doesn't yet exist, you can institute Primo as a Duke. And after that, if you form the kingdom, the kingdom will take the succession laws of the duchy.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that :)