• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, in my opinion the real problem is expectations!
With time I have come to understand that Paradox is not, and properly never will be, another Ubisoft or EA etc.

They do not have the manpower or resources, nor the "skills" (sorry to say) to produce that kind of super-games.

I'm astonished at this post.

Games by Ubisoft and EA are a steaming pile of horse manure and I would prefer being tortured to death instead of playing those kind of half-assed attempts at entertainment designed for braindead people. The only thing those companies are good at is bribing the press to get free 90s, and hyping the casual players who don't know better to buy their crap.

I don't know about Charlamange, honestly never heard of that. About Charlemagne, I'm still having loads of fun with my very first game, started in the very first patch. It's a great expansion, I love everything about it.

Well, in my opinion the real problem is expectations!
With time I have come to understand that Paradox is not, and properly never will be, another Ubisoft or EA etc.

They do not have the manpower or resources, nor the "skills" (sorry to say) to produce that kind of super-games.

Ubisoft or EA

super-games.

This has to be the most hilarious thing I have read on these forums in a while.

Overall, CM is a dlc well worth the time and effort going forth.

I am still testing everything so I can't draw conclusions on balance issues yet - things like the retinues. Features in the dlc are things I am enjoying (Custom Titles, Viceroys, etc).

The CK2 team should really do a "Post Mortum(sp)" where they explain their vision for the CK universe - changes made to balance are being done towards eventual goals but we in the community do not see what that eventual goal is and I think this disconnect is a root problem with not understanding some of the changes.

Groogy said that cultural retinues should still be preferred over the generic -- this is something I am testing still but so far, it really seems not to be the case.

I'm relatively new to the game (I bought it a few months before CM). It was a great experience... until CM came out.

There is nothing more frustrating, than non working features, that were fine before - I'm not talking about "kill button", or some other features CM introduced - I'm talking about dozens of things that flood the bugs forum. I reported two on Friday evening (EST), now they are on the FIFTH page!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-kingdom-inherited-by-character-outside-realm
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?809661-Warscore-stuck.-Screenshot-included!

Apart from those I was affected by:
- pagan homeland attrition canceled by MO lvl 2 not 4.
- not able to appoint wife as spymaster
- dynasty CoA changing after save/load
- landless duke (Duke of Gascoyne to be specific)
- some random crashes I did not have before (not reported as I'm unable to recreate them)
-crappy allied commanders taking over bug (seems to be fixed now)

The worst thing for me is that I have no way of telling which bugs are taken into account (especially due to bug volume right now).

This was also extremely frustrating:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...cksum-UBOE&p=18277206&viewfull=1#post18277206

I don't want to mess with the files and I'm fine with the things as they are for now (nobody researched MO 2 anyways...) - this is just another frustrating bit...

I'm also unhappy how the Charlemagne reigns are scripted - he always attacks Saxony and later takes over Middle Francia. In my last game (as Flandres) I helped Charlemagne beat Saxons, but a few years later, Saxons spawned a 16k doomstack...

I feel like participating in a beta test, which I had to pay for. I'm not so sure I will do that again... I'll let others do that for me and I really hope after next DLC we will get a beta branch to keep playing pre-DLC version.

I don't know how bad this one is compared to others, but for me this one is not good enough to be released as a finished product.

CM was one of the more ambitious DLC's and the mechanics they wanted to add are all really cool. Viceroyalties, weather, tribal mechanics, etc.... it was just executed so poorly and released so prematurely that it seems like it was still released in alpha testing phase.

There are 4 members on the CK2 TEAM.

EU4 has another team,

Stop linking them.

I don't think people are linking them, they are however comparing them. I'm not even sure how many people are working on the EU IV team, but probably more than the current CK II team. Whether true or false, people perhaps feel that CK II doesn't get the attention, it used to get. EU IV probably does get more attention ATM, but let's not forget CK II and EU IV are in different development stages; or to put it differently EU IV is younger than CK II.
All in all I do like the dlc. There are a few minor things, like Gothmar mentions. I find the Carolingian Era interesting, but they probably are reaching the limit of pushing the game start back. IMHO the only feasible extension, which CK II mechanics can do justice, would be extending the timeline to include the War of the Roses. I wouldn't go any further than that, but I'm fully aware that this could be conflicting with EU IV, still CK II IMHO is better suited for that era than the migration period.

@ Wolfmaster1979: I'm fine with having (de facto) AND 3 kingdoms and a realm size of 180, since kingdoms vary in size.

I must just comment on this: not being able to appoint wife as spymaster. How is that badly brokened? Having your wife as spymaster is from the begining a bad move as there is a big risk that she will die and not be able to get any kids due to being somewhere else. That belongs in one isolated bug thread, not as something making this into the worst patch ever. Same for the custom title creation, that Wolfmaster mentions, it is not that broken to have the ANd condition and prestige. True major issues currently are unbalanced adventurers and rebels, norse still conquering the suomensoko too early and Aquitaine breaking apart France. Gavelkind sucession and decadence was bad, but the beta patch/2.2 tries to adress that. Crashes and CTD's are also bad issues.

I do also think that the dev team is a bit small though, and that CM could had waited a bit longer before getting released. ROI was a good DLC when looking back and a good patch 2.1, but it was too unstable at launch. Either they make smaller, depth oriented expansions (inland republics, cadets and naval combat should fall under this umbrella) or get a bigger team.

Overall, CM is a dlc well worth the time and effort going forth.

The CK2 team should really do a "Post Mortum(sp)" where they explain their vision for the CK universe - changes made to balance are being done towards eventual goals but we in the community do not see what that eventual goal is and I think this disconnect is a root problem with not understanding some of the changes.
+1, this should always be done.

Last edited:
I like the gameplay mechanics of CM, but the new start date leaves a lot to be desired. I played it once, but the fact that, if formed, the HRE(Carolingian..) stays stable instead of igniting the carolingian wars on Karl's death ends up turning the whole thing into a strange blobby mess. A second event chain after Charlemagne dies going until the teaty of Verdun would've been nice, along with a couple short events to get hungary on its way. As it is, however, the whole culture/dejure setup ends up creating a whole mess in Western Europe and eventually an uneventful one. I went back to playing ToG starts after one start in 769.

Ugh, I don't like the use of event chains to railroad everything, but the game also can't model the early medieval without it. I just wish they had never made a start date before 1066.

I personally think they way over did it with the Nerf bat.

Age of Vikings? They're now pretty much harmless and unable to really threaten anyone due to being completely undeveloped tribal states.

Retinues? Also nerfed to the point of being useless.

I personally think they way over did it with the Nerf bat.

Age of Vikings? They're now pretty much harmless and unable to really threaten anyone due to being completely undeveloped tribal states.

Retinues? Also nerfed to the point of being useless.

1: Tribal states are incredibly threatening. They are much more powerful than they were. The reason the Viking Age usually doesn't happen is the early Crusades/Jihads activating the Christian I Win Button, also known as Holy Orders; which is a different topic, and one of the big balance concerns of the game since the startdate has been progressively pushed backwards. Without them, tribals would really have no problem at all conquering the British isles.

2: Retinues are useful if you're big and advanced. They're not if you're small and primitive. That's perfectly OK, IMHO. Wars were not fought between retinues back then.

Finland didn't terrorise Europe and come close to conquering all of England.
But that isn't a reason for having it outright conquered in 870! :p There is a distinct difference between not expanding and being eaten immediately.

I reported two on Friday evening (EST), now they are on the FIFTH page!

Paradox checks the bug reports from oldest to newest, well at least that's what their policy is.

You all feeling bad for your pockets, which for starters, if you consider €15 money you may have bigger things in your life to feel bad about and aim to improve than "wasting" pocket change in your hobbies.

I feel bad for the hard working fellas at Paradox who are crunching trying to fix the myriad of bugs in CK2. Most likely putting 8-12 hours a day in front of a computer.

If PARADOX could start perfecting what there has already been implemented (improve the retinues, A.I., relevant events, decadence, crusades, character interactions...), Paradox would win the entire CK2 community along with their pockets in a swipe.

I would buy any DLC that delivered a fix for all CURRENT problems/bugs/unbalanced features instead of another DLC that gives an earlier starting date or a bigger map... You wouldn't? ah right, because in today's world paying for quality is silly...