• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RichStrat

Sergeant
3 Badges
Oct 5, 2014
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
One of your biggest assets as Prussia at the start of the game is your alliance with Britain. Unfortunately, I always seem to lose it at some point. I was doing very nicely in a game, I had formed the NGC, taken three or four regions from France and Southern Belgium from a unified Netherlands. Then I got nationalism and Imperialism grabbed Alsace Lorraine and the two provinces from Denmark. I got Bavaria, Wurtemburg and Baden from Austria's sphere, so now I'm ready to attack Austria and form super Germany (including Hungary) for minimal infamy. But Austria is now allied with the UK. Even totally occupying Austria its difficult enough to force the assert hegemony war goal out of the UK let alone wait for Austria to lose Great Power and get the add to Sphere war goal.

So is there anyway to keep extend the alliance with the UK, and stop it allying with Austria. Or are you pretty much forced to form Super Germany early, before UK allies with Austria, by attacking for Alsace in 36 and attacking Austria in about 1842-4?

Prussia usually starts very friendly with UK, but after some time UK will slowly become wary of rising Prussian power and cancel the alliance. For example, a big factor being both taking opposite sides in a crisis. But I've usually seen them go with Ottomans and against Austria.

The best thing you can do is to keep increasing relations and build a huge army (and mobilize the peasants) just before declaring war. This will deter them at least for some time from joining up against a friendly power, and especially against one that has a huge disciplined army waiting for them.

One of your biggest assets as Prussia at the start of the game is your alliance with Britain. Unfortunately, I always seem to lose it at some point. I was doing very nicely in a game, I had formed the NGC, taken three or four regions from France and Southern Belgium from a unified Netherlands. Then I got nationalism and Imperialism grabbed Alsace Lorraine and the two provinces from Denmark. I got Bavaria, Wurtemburg and Baden from Austria's sphere, so now I'm ready to attack Austria and form super Germany (including Hungary) for minimal infamy. But Austria is now allied with the UK. Even totally occupying Austria its difficult enough to force the assert hegemony war goal out of the UK let alone wait for Austria to lose Great Power and get the add to Sphere war goal.

So is there anyway to keep extend the alliance with the UK, and stop it allying with Austria. Or are you pretty much forced to form Super Germany early, before UK allies with Austria, by attacking for Alsace in 36 and attacking Austria in about 1842-4?
try not aggressively taking a bunch of territory that doesnt belong to germany.

alliance with GB? Well at least for my AI GB in vanilla is completely useless and sits on their rock while I fight the good fight
+1
playing several games I noticed UK as allies was totally useless, whether my ally or not. Once France kills its fleets (happens very often), they are done. It's much better to ally Russia as Prussia/Germany, but it's hard as they usually have long lasting alliance with French.

UK normally have a whole bunch of troops in Ireland. With a strong Navy, you can isolate them there and either attack the mainland or ireland. GB military is a paper tiger. Hell..even France, Spain and Two Sicilies have a tendency to invade and occupy GB territory.

UK is great when you play a friendly sphereling and call them to fight against some non-westernized minor (for example, as Greece allying with them and attacking Johore or Tunis).

In every other cases they are useless. Their navy deteriorates fast, their troop amount is very low compared to the continental powers, their army is heavily dispersed along their huge overextended empire without a chance to get any transports, and even when they do have troops and transports they just sit around doing nothing, not even a single proper landing of a full-scale armed force.

But when it comes to wargoal diplomacy, they become war leader simply by the sheer size of their navy and often sign absurd treaties and forced white peaces, sometimes even surrendering hard-fought allied land for their own peace. They often add their own wargoals while their allies do all the fighting to get that advantage, which pulls up the stakes of the war, makes it last longer (and thus become bloodier) and lets them snatch lands which they shouldn't.

It's best to strengthen yourself, a strong economy with an army capable of fighting Russians and the French, and only then think of an alliance with Britain.

............... and even when they do have troops and transports they just sit around doing nothing, not even a single proper landing of a full-scale armed force.
hey, they invaded my Ponape with 36k troops, when I was playing Japan. Then they invaded Japan itself with another such party. It ended badly for them, but still they did it. This also made me develop navy tactics to avoid it in future. :)