• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the OP is advocating a more relaxed attitude towards gameplay details that will or wont be in the game. What he's trying to say is, - i think - "it's a game after all, not a 110% accurate depiction of everything there was or might have been in ww2, let's just have fun playing it".

I think the OP is advocating a more relaxed attitude towards gameplay details that will or wont be in the game. What he's trying to say is, - i think - "it's a game after all, not a 110% accurate depiction of everything there was or might have been in ww2, let's just have fun playing it".

Good, good.

Now what do you see when you look at this:

inkblot2_zps558eebfd.gif

He has a very good point, and this is actually something that has been bothering me for a while. There seems to be a trend, at least there has been latelly, that every single discussion, no matter the topic, turns into bickering over history from various know-it-alls, each of which is 101% certain he is right, and most of whom never, ever cite credentials or sources, and then proceed to be frustrated when people don't instantly believe them.

A thread may initially be about production lines, the colour of the world map, or ways to make amphibious invasions less over-powered, but it will degenerate into a heated debate about Churchill's shoe size or the colour of Hitler's toothbrush.

Seriously, when Paradox for example releases a dev diary about some new aspect of gameplay, can't we just discuss the diary and the new gameplay aspects, instead of having a forum meltdown over whether or not Hitler wore a tie?

(/outburst)

^^ Without degrading the developers, talking down to them, such as has happened in the multiple P*#th$r tank threads, in at least one dev diary thread, and who know how many I have missed.

Another case in point, the map. So they widened the English Channel. This was for playability. Cut the devs some slack and remember that it is a game before going ballistic on some details.

Now, I am not saying to avoid criticism if some revealed game feature looks like it will have negative impact on the playability of the game. Because once again, it is a game afterall, one which all those on this forum are hoping will be enjoyable.

can't we just discuss the diary and the new gameplay aspects, instead of having a forum meltdown over whether or not Hitler wore a tie?

(/outburst)

Are you saying Hitler didn't wear a tie? I know at least 28 instances where he DID wear a tie and I can prove it! Just give me a sec to get my diary copies and various history books from the attic and scan the correct references from them. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Two grannies giving the business to some jumbo shrimp

I saw that too!

Anyway...I agree with the OP. It is a game. That said, let's try to stick to some history as well. Suspension of disbelief can provide an explanation for an 88 being underpowered but can't really work when Denmark curb stomps Germany or some such nonsense (no offense to the Danes here :))

Another case in point, the map. So they widened the English Channel. This was for playability. Cut the devs some slack and remember that it is a game before going ballistic on some details.

Now, I am not saying to avoid criticism if some revealed game feature looks like it will have negative impact on the playability of the game. Because once again, it is a game afterall, one which all those on this forum are hoping will be enjoyable.
I wouldn't have any problems with Pdox whatsoever if they weren't the only company doing these sort of games, just like Bethesda gets insane amount of love just because there used to be zero competition for them - Skyrim being the perfect example of an insanely buggy game that didn't even look that fantastic but everyone thought it's the game of the year/decade/century because it was the only fantasy hiking sim on the market. Similarly, the closest I can get to playing HoI is using one of the megascenarios of The Operational Art of War but they leave out every non-military aspect OR I can play CivIV but that's like driving a scooter and imagining it's an Harley. Even flight simmers have more choice than grand strategy gamers have.

So of course I'm extremely worried when podcat talks about streamlining or darkrenown talks about reducing micromanagement or johan states that there won't be any non-Steam version because non-Steam customers are a worthless drop in the sea. Because I love HoI3 just the way it is, even though it has multiple flaws, and I want those flaws fixed, not removed. I've spent hundreds of hours playing HoI3 and various mods.

Aye, I think a lot of the discussion is people getting excited over the game coming out, and then getting carried away down a particular thread (I plead guilty on more than one occasion myself), there haven't been many "XXX isn't in the game, I'm not buying it" posts - and while there have been a few (which all sounded a little silly from my angle), it's important to remember that this is an internet forum, and while it's a very good one (incredibly good one, from a game perspective), you'll always get a few people that talk as if they know the answer to everything, and get a bit carried away with things.

I deffo think that the game is looking very good, and that there are some really well thought-out changes to gameplay that we've heard about so far that are enough to justify a sequel even if nothing else was changed (and we know we'll get a changed supply system and it's been heavily hinted weather's getting an overhaul as well).

Id does look rather like a pelvis, now that you mention it, though the first thing I saw was some old guy humping livestock in front of a mirror.

I wouldn't have any problems with Pdox whatsoever if they weren't the only company doing these sort of games, just like Bethesda gets insane amount of love just because there used to be zero competition for them - Skyrim being the perfect example of an insanely buggy game that didn't even look that fantastic but everyone thought it's the game of the year/decade/century because it was the only fantasy hiking sim on the market. Similarly, the closest I can get to playing HoI is using one of the megascenarios of The Operational Art of War but they leave out every non-military aspect OR I can play CivIV but that's like driving a scooter and imagining it's an Harley. Even flight simmers have more choice than grand strategy gamers have.

So of course I'm extremely worried when podcat talks about streamlining or darkrenown talks about reducing micromanagement or johan states that there won't be any non-Steam version because non-Steam customers are a worthless drop in the sea. Because I love HoI3 just the way it is, even though it has multiple flaws, and I want those flaws fixed, not removed. I've spent hundreds of hours playing HoI3 and various mods.

Thank You, +1