• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bretons are always fun. I've probably played as a Breton more than any other culture perhaps excluding Greek. You virtually always get left alone by England and France because they can never stop fighting each other or themselves long enough to bother you and you've got options to expand into Iberia or Ireland. You also get fun names like Tortoualdus and Konwoion.

Drang nach osten.

Bretons are always fun. I've probably played as a Breton more than any other culture perhaps excluding Greek. You virtually always get left alone by England and France because they can never stop fighting each other or themselves long enough to bother you and you've got options to expand into Iberia or Ireland. You also get fun names like Tortoualdus and Konwoion.

I second this. I had a ton of fun with an Old Gods Britanny game. I went for Wales initially to get a second duchy and later a second kingdom, and from there stuff just rolled. I feel like Britanny is a great base of operations for getting to lots of places.

Thanks for the interesting answers. When the patch is released I'll probably play Charlemagne first of course. But Brittany and Holland sound fun.

A few people have suggested starts in Italy and Spain and Greece. I agree that those can be really good, but when I say 'western Europe' I mean Germany, France, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria and such. I've already done a lot of games in the various peninsulas like Iberia and Italy.

Otto von Hapsburg, Count of Aargau in 1066. Can you claim the HRE throne for your descendants?

Dirk Gerulfing, Duke of Holland 1066. Can you become independent and create Dutch Kingdom?

Herbert Karling, Count of Vermandois 1066. The last landed Karling. Can you reclaim your dynasty's glory?

Those are my choices in Western Europe in 1066.

I don't really care for Western Europe in 867. I don't have the DLC so I won't be trying 769 either.