Will Poland be more playable in AoW?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Played a Poland campaign some weeks ago, and didn't find anything broken except for the historicity of elective monarchy. Don't think that's a big issue towards playability, though. Don't think that's a big issue towards playability, though. Actually enjoyed that campaign quite a lot. I can only complain on westernization non-sense, but that's something that affects all non-westerns.

More playable?
eu4_54.jpg

How is Poland broken?

The elective system seems a bit wrong, Poland didn't have that many foreign rulers, and would Polish nobles really not recognise House Jagiellon as the Legitimate Royal House? I'm not saying completely scrap the way if works, but going back to 20 legitimacy for every Jagiellon ruler seems a bit extreme!

I also was going to start a thread about Poland's being 'fixed' in AoW a couple of weeks ago but instead I decided to start a new Poland game and see how it went. It was dominant, crushed everyone and hardly anything seemed "broken" about it.

It's simply a different way to experience the game but altogether completely manageable and not unreasonable.

I tried different things to see the unplayability. Letting foreign rulers take power consistently isn't an issue, you just have some slightly lower stats. Getting your own noble on the throne with low legitimacy wasn't a huge revolt issue.

When the Pacta is reformed and you spawn 3-4 very large stacks of rebels, it's a pain and takes a bit to kill them down but after that you're cruising!

The elective system seems a bit wrong, Poland didn't have that many foreign rulers, and would Polish nobles really not recognise House Jagiellon as the Legitimate Royal House? I'm not saying completely scrap the way if works, but going back to 20 legitimacy for every Jagiellon ruler seems a bit extreme!

Pre EUIV:

1300 - 1306 ( 6) Bohemian Přemyslid 2
1370 - 1399 ( 29) Hungarian/French Anjou 2
1386 - 1444 ( 58) Lithuanian/Polish Jagiellon 2

EUIV:

1447 - 1572 (125) Lithuanian/Polish Jagiellon 5
1574 - 1575 ( 1) French Valois 1
1575 - 1586 ( 11) Polish Jagiellon 1 + Hungarian Bathory 1
1587 - 1668 ( 81) Swedish Vasa 3
1669 - 1673 ( 4) Polish Wiśniowiecki 1
1674 - 1696 ( 22) Polish Sobieski 1
1697 - 1704
1709 - 1733
1734 - 1763 ( 60) German Wettin 2
1705 - 1709
1733 - 1734 ( 5) Polish Leszczyński 1
1764 - 1795 ( 31) Polish Poniatowski 1

counting all jagiellons as polish and dismissing bathory we have 10 polish Kings reigning 198 years and 6 foreign Kings reigning for 142 years between 1444 and 1795. I think that's quite significant. (One might consider that at leat the Vasa had Jagiellon ancestry)

But you're somewhat correct that being a Jagiellong made you more legitimate.

Edit: Only the saxon house of Wetting with August the Strong and his son are foreign without blood relation. But the game has no proper dynasty system.

Last edited:
Austria is your best ally, because they are a lucky nation and natural enemies of Ottomans. Bohemia is meant to be conquered actually. One of the few cultures accepted by Poland is Czech.
After you blob enough, Austria will rival you, and that's when you have to ally France.

And yes, rival those three. Later rival Ottomans and Denmark or whatever Scandinavia is.

If they don't rival me. does Bohemia make a good ally? I assume my rivals should be Teutonic Order, Livonian Order and Hungary?

Good rivals, but other than that your best friend could be Austria. try to ally them if possible. If you can get a Hapsburg on your throne when you revoke the Pacta or whatever, it could pay off significantly later.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong - which countries to ally with first and which idea groups to take (and in which order)?

Poland needs no allies since it gets Lithuania as a PU junior. Other relations slots go to vassals (starting 2 and cycling in more with dipovassal as you annex them. If you're extremely aggressive, you can guarantee Novgorod/Byzantium to cripple some long-term enemies, but to survive as Poland it's not really required.

Recommended Ideas:
1) Influence/Diplomatic (you need no DIP tech, so you can rush ideas to open up NIs). The boosts are also pretty useful.

2) Religious/Humanism. Humanism has an advantage during the reformation because flipped provinces can't really be converted well. If that period doesn't faze you, I like religious, as a converting Poland can easily control curia and to stacking stab cost reductions (Nieszawa Privileges, Religious, NI).

3) Aristocratic. Bonuses stack well with your NIs.

Edit: I'd ignore Bohemia as that drags you into wars with austria, making that territory rather expensive in time/manpower as well as AE. Hungary is often allied to someone strong as well, and their BT is garbage. Also not worth conquering. Conquer the TO and Russia, diplovassal balkans, italian minors, and baltic coast when opportunities arise.

Austria is your best ally, because they are a lucky nation and natural enemies of Ottomans. Bohemia is meant to be conquered actually. One of the few cultures accepted by Poland is Czech.
After you blob enough, Austria will rival you, and that's when you have to ally France.

And yes, rival those three. Later rival Ottomans and Denmark or whatever Scandinavia is.
Austria never rivaled my polish uberblob, and has been my ally throughout the whole agme. Perhaps not expanding into HRE at all helped with that?

Poland having some foreign rulers is fairly historical. I have never had problems taking them into space. Some small tweaks may be needed if they are consistently having foreign ruler after foreign ruler with very few natives.

Ally Brandenburg, go Humanism and Aristocracy and you're set. Poland is perfectly playable. The EM system makes them harder mode due to events, but you can reap other nations for PUs because of it. High risk, high reward