• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Was any slave that was not a enuch a good millitary commander or a diplomat or a steward?
It's past the game's timeline by Abram Hannibal comes to mind.

Forgot about him good point that could work at Muslim countries they could get a prestige hit and a opinion modifier as a slave commander who can not hold land. It could be like the event were you get enuch from the merchants from India instead you get a slave that can do the same thing but can have kids.

Last edited:
Yeah I forgot about them but did you knew that they could buy slaves and own them? You know slaves owning slaves.

Now about the Janissaries the same thing I just forgot about them because they had it better then most "free people".

Well this just demonstrates how malleable the word and concept of "slavery" itself can be. Not all slavery is like it was done in 19th century America, very little in fact. And certainly not like the Draka.

Yup, not to mention the Mameluk regime needed to buy more Mameluks to support the system. We got a country ruled by a slave class needing to buy more slaves to prop up said class.

And after a certain point those slaves simply became the ruling class and bought their next crop of budding young initiates.

Yeah I forgot about them but did you knew that they could buy slaves and own them? You know slaves owning slaves.

Now about the Janissaries the same thing I just forgot about them because they had it better then most "free people".
Just found out the draka is fictional nation in a fantasy series of novels. I have to read those.

Having slavery as an option under Crown laws would be good. Supposing it's legalised, you might get +10% realm tax bonus and a +1% slave revolt or something.

Anything that can make this game more immersive is good!

Spices were also a major part of the economy but there's no trade system in this game so spices aren't in the game either.

because economy itself in this game is non existent

Yet the GoT mod implemented slavery in a successful, meaningful way without needing an economy. Slaves aren't just about buying and selling, buy a history book. Slaves are responsible for many man made wonders. Slaves made up large portions of eastern armies. Slaves were captured and held by tribal nations frequently. The point about no economy making slaves pointless is so moot it hurts.

Having slavery as an option under Crown laws would be good. Supposing it's legalised, you might get +10% realm tax bonus and a +1% slave revolt or something.

Anything that can make this game more immersive is good!

More likely, there should be a trait for slave characters (although how would you link it to the master? I guess you can circumvent it by making it so that only landed characters can own slaves, and that slaves belong to their liege). That would allow better representation of the event-spawned eunuch slaves who are already in the game, and reflect the fact that slavery usually did not occur on the industrial scales of the American South, but reflected people having personal slaves.

It would also allow a better representation of the Ottomans and pre-Mamluk Egypt: simply have events that spawn slave characters which can then be used to lead troops or serve as councillors.

I mean, this is something that could probably be modded in, especially since courtiers don't really do all that much that slaves would need to be blocked from doing; simply prohibit them from leaving from another court and giving free imprison or exile on the character should alread cover most of it.

I mean, this is something that could probably be modded in, especially since courtiers don't really do all that much that slaves would need to be blocked from doing; simply prohibit them from leaving from another court and giving free imprison or exile on the character should alread cover most of it.
The GoT mod has already actually done this and I think PDI could find some pretty damn good ideas on how to go about implementing their own version from GoT. GoT has crown laws associated with slavery and the extent at which it is legal/illegal within the realm. You gain the option to construct slave camps in your holdings which gives you a number of benefits if I recall. You get an increased garrison, though irc the troops are weaker than typical troops. You get a build time bonus to your structures depending how big your camp is. And the revolt risk increases for how big the camp is and I think there are other things in place to make slave revolts fire. You can bed slaves with slaves to make more slaves(courtier slaves these ones) who in turn can work as councilors or tutor your children.

And it also adds a new trait called "Liberator" I believe, where the character is adamantly against all kinds of slavery and under the AI's direction is usually motivated to attack slavery using rulers, and these people also lead the revolts irc. It works well and has none of this "economy" gibberish people are attributing to being necessary for it to work. Which is complete nonsense.

The GoT mod has already actually done this and I think PDI could find some pretty damn good ideas on how to go about implementing their own version from GoT. GoT has crown laws associated with slavery and the extent at which it is legal/illegal within the realm. You gain the option to construct slave camps in your holdings which gives you a number of benefits if I recall. You get an increased garrison, though irc the troops are weaker than typical troops. You get a build time bonus to your structures depending how big your camp is. And the revolt risk increases for how big the camp is and I think there are other things in place to make slave revolts fire. You can bed slaves with slaves to make more slaves(courtier slaves these ones) who in turn can work as councilors or tutor your children.

And it also adds a new trait called "Liberator" I believe, where the character is adamantly against all kinds of slavery and under the AI's direction is usually motivated to attack slavery using rulers, and these people also lead the revolts irc. It works well and has none of this "economy" gibberish people are attributing to being necessary for it to work. Which is complete nonsense.

I mean honestly slavery usually didn't have much impact on the broader economy during the time period, since it was at a relatively small scale, which is convenient for us since the game mostly deals with characters; you only need to work with slave courtiers.

For perspective, the only major slave revolt during the entire time period is the Zanj revolt of 869-883. While serfs were all over the place and did revolt repeatedly, American style slaves were almost absent during this time period.

It'd be cool if slaves could hold viceroyalties, too. Creating a slave dynasty would be weird, but I can see a distinguished Eunuch General in the ERE or a Turk slave in Arabia getting control of some land

It'd be cool if slaves could hold viceroyalties, too. Creating a slave dynasty would be weird, but I can see a distinguished Eunuch General in the ERE or a Turk slave in Arabia getting control of some land

Which is the point where we truly depart from the connection with Southern American slavery and it becomes much more like a hereditary job that you can't quit.

I don't really think it needs to be a particularly complex or comprehensive system. I was thinking mainly four things: laws regarding slavery, slave trade (includes raiding, selling and buying), a few more slavery-related events, and some slave courtiers (the likes of the eunuchs that one event spawns). Perhaps also rare slave/serf rebellions, if you rely on them too much to boost your economy. I haven't tried every culture/religion in the game, nor am I particularly knowledgeable about all the cultures of the time period, so there may be other fitting uses that I haven't thought of.