• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DominusNovus

Field Marshal
86 Badges
Oct 2, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
This is just for fun. I'm bored, because my insanely awesome new computer (customized 5K Retina iMac :D) is still in transit, and my old one is just dying, so playing CK2 at the moment is less fun than it will be next week. Also, this isn't to disparage the current game at all, so any devs, you know we love it. So, without further ado...

You're in charge of CK3. Assume that its in development at the moment, and that there are no further CK2 DLC in the works. What do you do?

My ideas:
- Keep all gameplay DLC features for the new vanilla, whenever possible. Rolling back cosmetic DLC (portraits, units, CoAs, and music) is okay, because much of that will probably be re-done anyway. So, CK3 would ship with playable Republics, Muslims, and Pagans, but not necessarily Persian portraits. The scope of the initial map should be comparable to the present map.
- Refine the interface wherever possible. Such as: Break up the 'intrigue' window, as its really just the 'misc' menu right now. Refine character interactions: sub-menus might work really well for many of the options (grant/revoke landed title, transfer/retract vassal, etc.) so that the list of possible interactions is not so right up front. There could probably be some improvements to the character pages and the various ways they can be interacted with from there, as well (perhaps as a counterpart to the find spouse button, a find tutor (for children) or student (for adults) button?). Make it easier to find info about your realm (as opposed to just clicking on the CoA for your primary title in the character view, for example). Etc. There's dozens of these little ways the interface could be tweaked.
- Refine the map, there's some tweaking it could use (like the Danube).
- Refine the files, as well. For example, the databases for cultures and religions and their respective names could use a combing over.
- Expand the possibilities of each part of the interface. More ways to interact with your council, and more missions for them. More laws, and more detail in how to enact them (besides just a majority of your vassals). Perhaps if intrigue and factions are combined, there could be more details there, such as inviting people to your faction. Improve plotting. More interactivity on the religion screen.
- Add some new mechanics. Flesh out the various religions; even the Catholics could always use more love. Throw in sea battles.

Thats all I got for now. Of course, the first major DLC will be CK3: Crusader Mings.

The game is basically like the sims where your king hangs around his palace and you regularly need to direct him to use his chamberpot and stuff. Battles take place but they're entirely off-screen

Since we're fantasizing, let's just go ahead and add the whole world map, so you can conquer Europe as Great Zimbabwe or reconquer it as the Vinlanders.

Full Steamworks integration for multiplayer.

Use a decadence-like mechanic to break up static blobs regardless of religion. But not literally decadence since it's never worked right. The faction system could probably suffice if made more robust and effective, so the AI (and players) would fight devastating claim and succession wars more often.

Remove all labels attached to culture. Arguing over whether various parts of Europe are Slavic in the 8th century or if Russians would exist without Norse overlords has wasted countless hours of time that could have been spent doing something useful, like playing the game. Replace it with an abstract mechanic that increases revolt risk based on distance from your capital, how long ago it entered your realm, etc... or honestly, anything that doesn't label a province as "Germanic" or whatever when it's subject to debate whether it actually is.

New QA team and at least a week of both closed and open beta before every patch/DLC.

One more idea: I'd like to see individual traits be more balanced. For instance sometimes you'll get a choice between a chance at acquiring the Gluttonous and Temperate traits. Why would you ever go for Gluttonous? It would be cool if more traits were like Cruel or Wroth and made you think "well, that wasn't my plan, but at least I get something out of it. Maybe I should change my strategy." Or, for instance, straight up positive traits like Gregarious could decrease your intrigue (easier to assassinate a party person...) barring the issue that would make it the same as Kind; I'm just getting at the general idea here.

Last edited:
If I were in charge of CK 3, I'd focus on aspects such as intrigue, plotting and meaningful, deeper and more varied relationships between characters.

Then, I'd rather focus on late middle ages rather than focusing on the dark ages. And I'd make the Pope to be playable.

This is just for fun. I'm bored, because my insanely awesome new computer (customized 5K Retina iMac :D) is still in transit, and my old one is just dying, so playing CK2 at the moment is less fun than it will be next week. Also, this isn't to disparage the current game at all, so any devs, you know we love it. So, without further ado...

You're in charge of CK3. Assume that its in development at the moment, and that there are no further CK2 DLC in the works. What do you do?

My ideas:
- Keep all gameplay DLC features for the new vanilla, whenever possible. Rolling back cosmetic DLC (portraits, units, CoAs, and music) is okay, because much of that will probably be re-done anyway. So, CK3 would ship with playable Republics, Muslims, and Pagans, but not necessarily Persian portraits. The scope of the initial map should be comparable to the present map.

=> cant agree more. Its okay to buy a dlc or two for a game but having more content in the DLC than in the game feels wrong. I still bought it because I really wanna support Paradox. But I can say that I haven't bought them all. Its too expensive and the addition of content is something we should get for free (playing as musli;, pagan, india,...)

- Refine the interface wherever possible. Such as: Break up the 'intrigue' window, as its really just the 'misc' menu right now. Refine character interactions: sub-menus might work really well for many of the options (grant/revoke landed title, transfer/retract vassal, etc.) so that the list of possible interactions is not so right up front. There could probably be some improvements to the character pages and the various ways they can be interacted with from there, as well (perhaps as a counterpart to the find spouse button, a find tutor (for children) or student (for adults) button?). Make it easier to find info about your realm (as opposed to just clicking on the CoA for your primary title in the character view, for example). Etc. There's dozens of these little ways the interface could be tweaked.

Hmm I dont really agree here. I kinda like the simplicity of the menu and everything is easy and fast to find.
- Refine the map, there's some tweaking it could use (like the Danube).
- Refine the files, as well. For example, the databases for cultures and religions and their respective names could use a combing over.
- Expand the possibilities of each part of the interface. More ways to interact with your council, and more missions for them. More laws, and more detail in how to enact them (besides just a majority of your vassals). Perhaps if intrigue and factions are combined, there could be more details there, such as inviting people to your faction. Improve plotting. More interactivity on the religion screen.
- Add some new mechanics. Flesh out the various religions; even the Catholics could always use more love. Throw in sea battles.
agree on all of them, exept the sea battles.

They should also implement some more historical info and stuff. I like more of those anouncements telling me some stuff about history of the period.

So, CK3 would ship with playable Republics, Muslims, and Pagans, but not necessarily Persian portraits. The scope of the initial map should be comparable to the present map.

This. I hate the Sims because EA never does this, WHY WOULD YOU FORCE ME TO BUY ALL THE EXPANSIONS A SECOND TIME?!

If I was in charge of CK3, I would kill myself.

I have two options:

-Reuse as much as possible the content from CK2. As a result, the game is marginally better and has a couple new mechanics, but it's not actually a deep improvement, because it uses the same engine and much of the same content. The potential for future growth of the game would be small. Massive outrage from the fans.

-Start from scratch. It's completely impossible to make a game as extensive and big as CK2 + Around Ten Full Fledged Expansions from scratch. The engine will be different and there will be deep changes in the system with a lot of potential, but the content, the sheer amount of things in the game, compared to CK2 + expansions, will be necessarily disappointing at release. Massive outrage from the fans.

Work on more "High" Middle Ages stuff and less Dark Ages. I want things like Cadet Branches. It is alright to make DLC but only to expand base game in 1066. Empires and large Kingdoms must be made more unstable. The Faction system WORKED to destabilize Blobs when it originally came out. Problem it was too "hard" for many to play with they complained and it was nerfed. Adventurers need to be scaled against the Realm they are invading and LESS numerous.

An advanced diplomacy system with checks, balances and deals. I want to offer my daughter in marriage in exchange for something.

More advanced, possibly 3D portraits that mix distinctive facial features together in a convincing way that supports mixed races of any combination <- Spend the entire graphics budget on this.

WAY MORE TRAITS

More work done on the friends/rivals system, fleshing it out with more roleplaying options through events. A real focus on personal relationships, as that is where CKII thrives.

Back to the pre RoI mapsize.

Inland republics!

And that is about it.

If I were in charge of CK 3, I'd focus on aspects such as intrigue, plotting and meaningful, deeper and more varied relationships between characters.

Agreed. In particular, there needs to be some more levels of diplomacy besides 'at peace' 'at war' and 'allied through marriage or blood.'

Make retinues, mercenary companies, holy orders and the like function fully as in-game titles with their own politics, revenues, and resources. The line between 'standing army' troops and 'mercenary' troops should be blurry. Creating a standing military establishment should be, as it was in Rome, a serious potential destabilization. Winning the loyalty of your soldiery is just as crucial as the loyalty of your nobility, with equally dire consequences if you fail to do so. Though in a strongly professionalized military situation, the professional army could well be powerful enough to deal with disloyalty among the nobles, at the cost of making their loyalty completely make or break. Military realities should be a only one factor alongside the political realities of whatever system one chooses.

Ditch the holding model. It hasn't provided interesting gameplay and just led to anomolies like easily captured venice and tedious sieges.
More focus on your court. Similarly more focus on conflict with your church - it wasn't your puppet. make pope & holy orders actors in their own right.
More policies (like tolerance).
Better trade model.
Ditch decadence, pagan reformation & 'heads of religions', cut holy orders (since when did giving crusade lookalikes and holy orders to every religion make them 'distinct'?), investiture crisis should be an event chain, not a toggle.
Sharply reduce religious conversion rate.

I would make it so that MP and SP can be balanced separately, so "Balances" done for one mode of play won't affect the other...

A globe map instead of flat.