• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ConjurerDragon

Generalissimus
79 Badges
Apr 19, 2005
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Impire
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
In the land.txt file there are entries for "cavalry" and "forts" that can be moved by editing to other techlevels.

However when I look at the naval.txt file I don´t see an entry to e.g. move the availability of galleys or warships from naval tech 0 to naval tech 1 or 2 . Is there any way to mod that? In my own games I don´t want to see some pagan african with naval tech 0 to have a coast full of warships.

Last edited:
I remember asking the same question when working on DoK as I did not want warships around in the late Dark Ages. The answer from MichaelM, as far as I can remember was that warships and galleys are like infantry and have to be there from the start. You cannot mod that.

The only thing that can be changed is the transport capacity for all three kinds of ships in defines.txt. I remember thinking about making transports into warships and warships into transports, but then there is another issue : you cannot change the combat abilities for the ships, as far as I know.

In my current game I tried to mod the transport capacity of ships

#Transport Capacity (TPC per unit)
_WARSHIP_TPC_ = 0.50 #Positive #159b5
_GALLEY_TPC_ = 0.25 #Positive #159b5
_TRANSPORT_TPC_ = 3 #Positive

However when I used those values the galley and the warship fleets could not embark any unit at all.
Is Transport Capactiy required to not only be positive but natural numbers (e.g. 1, 2, 3?) and no partial numbers?

And yet another dumb question - where exactly do Galleys suffer additional attrition?

I have read several times that in the first half of the game Galleys are stronger than Warships and that it would be a good idea to use them in closed seas e.g. Baltic, Mediterrenean or even Carribean Sea.

And I read that Galleys suffer more attrition when not in a coastal province.

So - are Galleys generally safe in any coastal province even outside of the above mentioned seas? Or do they suffer in coastal provinces outside those seas additionall, too?

In the Mediterrenean are two seaprovines (1 east of crete, the other between Sardinia and the Baleares) which are not coastal. Do Galleys suffer additional attrition there, too for "not being coastal" despite being in a "closed sea"?

In my current game I tried to mod the transport capacity of ships

#Transport Capacity (TPC per unit)
_WARSHIP_TPC_ = 0.50 #Positive #159b5
_GALLEY_TPC_ = 0.25 #Positive #159b5
_TRANSPORT_TPC_ = 3 #Positive

However when I used those values the galley and the warship fleets could not embark any unit at all.
Is Transport Capactiy required to not only be positive but natural numbers (e.g. 1, 2, 3?) and no partial numbers?
Correct, fractional capacity is not permitted.

And yet another dumb question - where exactly do Galleys suffer additional attrition?

I have read several times that in the first half of the game Galleys are stronger than Warships and that it would be a good idea to use them in closed seas e.g. Baltic, Mediterrenean or even Carribean Sea.

And I read that Galleys suffer more attrition when not in a coastal province.

So - are Galleys generally safe in any coastal province even outside of the above mentioned seas? Or do they suffer in coastal provinces outside those seas additionall, too?

In the Mediterrenean are two seaprovines (1 east of crete, the other between Sardinia and the Baleares) which are not coastal. Do Galleys suffer additional attrition there, too for "not being coastal" despite being in a "closed sea"?
Galleys do not suffer extra attrition in any coastal province OR any province that is marked as galleys_penalty = no. So galleys may operate with impunity in the Caribbean despite the fact that it isn't marked as galleys_penalty = no, because every sea zone in the Caribbean is coastal. In vanilla, only the Mediterranean and Baltic are marked galleys_penalty = no.

Correct, fractional capacity is not permitted.

Galleys do not suffer extra attrition in any coastal province OR any province that is marked as galleys_penalty = no. So galleys may operate with impunity in the Caribbean despite the fact that it isn't marked as galleys_penalty = no, because every sea zone in the Caribbean is coastal. In vanilla, only the Mediterranean and Baltic are marked galleys_penalty = no.
When it is not possible to have e.g. galley transport capacity be 0,5 (so that it would take 2 galley to be able to transport 1 infentry) would it be possible to raise the weight of infantry / cavalry / artillery to achieve the same result?

2 X 0,5 = 1 Transport Capacity with INF = 1 is the same as e. g.
2X 1 = 2 TC of a galley with INF = 2 results in the same, namely that it would take 2 galley to carry 1 INF...

When it is not possible to have e.g. galley transport capacity be 0,5 (so that it would take 2 galley to be able to transport 1 infentry) would it be possible to raise the weight of infantry / cavalry / artillery to achieve the same result?

2 X 0,5 = 1 Transport Capacity with INF = 1 is the same as e. g.
2X 1 = 2 TC of a galley with INF = 2 results in the same, namely that it would take 2 galley to carry 1 INF...
Yes, that's possible. Unit weights are also integer-only, so as long as the AI code handles it correctly... (checking... looks like it should)... then it should be fine. I don't remember if other people have already experimented with this before.