• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gratch11

Colonel
21 Badges
Aug 7, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
During the first few years of the war, AT guns were either scarce or terrible for many countries. I dont think this is reflected good enough in the game. Will there be inf overrun by tanks if they have to few, or none, or not good enough? Meaning that I can move through a province without a long stop if opposition isnt very good

True, but it requires forrest terrain or city to get close, AT rifles are in the game, the others are not
They all fall under Infantry AT weapons. And no, they do not require a city or forest to get close. Just a lot of guts, some skill and luck. Isolate the tank from infantry support, and you can get to it with a grenade. Or wait for it to roll over your trench, and hit it from behind, where the motor is.

HOI3 had a armor/piercing mechanic to represent the advantage of armor over infantry without AT guns

I liked the mechanic but they forgot to add piercing to AA guns in HOI3. Some of the most successful and famous anti-tank guns started as AA: the German 88, the Russian 85, and the US 90 were all originally AA guns. The German 88 is an excellent example, because AA guns have such a high velocity necessary to reach high altitudes it was able to penetrate a number of tanks that the dedicated AT guns couldn't while initially lacking even proper AT ammo.

I liked the mechanic but they forgot to add piercing to AA guns in HOI3. Some of the most successful and famous anti-tank guns started as AA: the German 88, the Russian 85, and the US 90 were all originally AA guns. The German 88 is an excellent example, because AA guns have such a high velocity necessary to reach high altitudes it was able to penetrate a number of tanks that the dedicated AT guns couldn't while initially lacking even proper AT ammo.

I assume that was a balance issue. Why bother with AT if specializing in AA gets you an 8.8?

Infantry can null out tanks in cities and congested areas. Tanks really would overrun infantry in open fields and open areas in general.

You guys realize that the whole AT and AA in HOI3 was abstraction don't you? Building AT could still be the 88's in addition to other types. And the AA represents the ones with just AA ammo. Sometimes things just have to be abstracted. If the AA is just as good as the AT against tanks and the AT is just as good against planes then why even have two units?

And why are these tanks without infantry support? They never operated that way so most of these posts are ahistorical. To take a tank out you have to get past the tanks defenses AND the infantry that is supporting the tank.

1939-40 was a fairly unique time in the war because tanks literally could do the cavalry thing and shock infantry without that much trouble in the open. Once militaries figured out how to concentrate their anti-tank guns and improved infantry anti-tank weapons, they tended to again rely on infantry.

I don't know if it would be possible to replicate that in a game of this scope because no one in their right mind today would think spreading out anti-tank guns like you would spread out machine guns is a good idea.

HOI3 AA was useless because of how air to ground combat worked and how ground attacks against individual units worked. We know air combat in HOI4 will be way improved so air to ground interaction may also be greatly improved. In that case you will NEED AA for anti-air and not because it did some AT thing like in BICE.