Dunkirk - abandoning equipment

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wyrm

General
37 Badges
Dec 7, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
An interesting event that had quite a strategic effect on Britain's ability to fight is the Dunkirk evacuation.

Cut off from friendly lines, the British sacrificed most of its heavy equipment in order to save as many soldiers as possible.
This could potentially be emulated in the game if we can tell a unit to abandon anything that is buildable, such as tanks, artillery, AT-guns and such in order to save weight to fit more men (with valuable experience) on transport ships in an emergency evacuation.

An example of the effects of the loss of all that heavy equipment in Dunkirk was the delay of production and introduction of the QF 6-Pounder by up to a year. The British was in such dire need for AT-guns so they did not want to risk switching the production of the QF 2-pounder over to the 6-pounder.

This is already more or less in the game already with the production line bonuses. :)

They have hinted, but never confirmed on the ability to capture equipment, so there is a hint on this already.

Also I had already discussed something like this in naval invasion thread, where units should not arrive with all of their equipment when naval invading. unless the equipment is amphibious, which should increase transport weight considerably.

This "retreating" is already in HOI3 where if you have transports in the seazone and the units are defeated they retreat to the transports. If we apply the same rules I discussed on naval invasions, where all equipment needs to be shipped in which requires a port for ships to arrive, then the retreating would force the unit to leave all equipment behind.

They have hinted, but never confirmed on the ability to capture equipment, so there is a hint on this already.

Also I had already discussed something like this in naval invasion thread, where units should not arrive with all of their equipment when naval invading. unless the equipment is amphibious, which should increase transport weight considerably.

This "retreating" is already in HOI3 where if you have transports in the seazone and the units are defeated they retreat to the transports. If we apply the same rules I discussed on naval invasions, where all equipment needs to be shipped in which requires a port for ships to arrive, then the retreating would force the unit to leave all equipment behind.

Aye, these are good thoughts, but the option of a choice, even if at a port (say an emergency evacuation of Tobruk in the face of the Afrika Korps rampaging towards it) would give players the choice to do it if they wanted to save more men at the expense of equipment. As well as reducing unit weight, it could cut down on loading time (if we have loading time in the game, which I'm hoping we do).

Was asked many times, it´s up to Paradox to implement it. Specially important for multiplayer game and stopping the silly Allied flying circus.

I would appreciate it.

The more divisions you encircle and destroy in a pocket, the more equipment (percentage) you should get (weapons, trucks, tanks). Some kind of multiplier to the number of divisions/ brigades

Aye, these are good thoughts, but the option of a choice, even if at a port (say an emergency evacuation of Tobruk in the face of the Afrika Korps rampaging towards it) would give players the choice to do it if they wanted to save more men at the expense of equipment. As well as reducing unit weight, it could cut down on loading time (if we have loading time in the game, which I'm hoping we do).

Yes, please give us loading times and loading capacity tied to the size of port.

Just a thought -

They could make this a complex computation with buttons to push and all, or they could find a simple, undetailed way of doing it. What if they made the equipment lost when fleeing to sea a function of the divisions organization? The higher the org, the more equipment is moved. That way a poorly organized army, or a battered one fleeing will likely leave much of its equipment behind.

This would likely be much easier to implement and wouldn't require so much micro for the player.