• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Heinrikr

Captain
6 Badges
Jul 1, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
What I am talking about is how there are pre-existing de-jure empire and kingdoms (and certain duchies, but that's not what bugs me most and I understand that from a practical perspective) which might never have existed as actual political entities or even as regions (a la gallia, or hispania) prior to the starting date. For example, at the time of charlemagne, there quite simply was no idea of a sweden which stretched from småland to lappland, yet CKII gives all rulers within the completely anachronistic and arbitrarily defined area of "sweden" the option to choose an ambition to "unite" sweden, even though there has never previously been such a realm to re-unite, and even though the area in question can't be said to form some kind of natural region (as the italian or iberian peninsula would), even though ther didn't even vaguely exist an idea of such a sweden in anyone's minds except people from the future. This system leads to totally ridiculous things, such as counts within "sweden" feeling that the swedish king is their de-jure liege, even though their lands might not ever previously have been a part of Sweden. It means that the Swedish king has a "right" to sami inhabited lappland, but not a similar right to claim other sami lands which also had never been part of Sweden before. It means that alfheimr (bohuslän) arbitrarily belongs to the swedish king, but jämtland belongs to the norwegian kings.

The de-jure system lead to "claims" and "rights" that are utterly ridiculous, and an anachronistic division of the scandinavian peninsula based on ideas of kingdoms that hadn't existed before, and didn't even exist as vague ideas or regions or even identities. But a punch in the face of historical realism isn't the only problem, it also leads to railroading, as the de-jure system will obviously steer the game towards the same pre-existing kingdoms and empires game after game, even though these kingdoms and empires are completely artificial and/or anachronistic creations. It makes the game much more predictable and thus less fun. It makes it harder to change history, as the de-jure system steers rather forcefully in one direction. What's worse, it's not always even a historically plausible or realistic direction. in the 8th century, it was not at all a given that europe would develop to have the kingdoms it did: it could very well have turned out very differently. CK2 doesn't really give us that freedom, atleast not without much cost and arbitrary obstacles and bonuses. What fun is a game if you can't change history?

And one last thing is that it's very OP. As you of course have noticed, the norse are rather OP, and that's reinforced by that the swedish king (for example) can "unite" sweden, giving him free CBs on everyone in Sweden, including the innocent samis who've never been part of any viking realm, nor which anyone at the time could honestly say were a part of Sweden in any way.

Of course, this new system of creating custom kingdoms when you're big enough is a step in the right direction (I haven't actually tried it myself so I don't know exactly how it works), but the pre-existing de-jure realms are still a problem, as I showed with the sweden example, for both gameplay reasons, and in terms of realism and historical plausiblity. What I'd like to see done is quite simply to get rid of all de-jure empire, kingdoms and maybe even duchies which doesn't have a justification. And with justification I mean either that the entity in question had previously existed and could thus be re-formed, or that it forms some kind of natural region (like the italian peninsula, or pannonian plain). Also, very importantly, allow de-jure entities of the same rank to overlap. That would be more realistic, and give reasons for conflict. For example, does syria belong to the arabian empire, or the eastern roman empire, or maybe even the persian empire? All three I say. All this would mean that a large part of the world which haven't had any experiences of previous empires or kingdoms -the northern part of the map- simply wouldn't have any de-jure empires/kingdoms to form, as I believe was the case for some regions in early versions of CK2. it would simply be grey, and kingdoms would form naturally and realistically by rulers which grow powerful, and not railroaded in particular directions.

And that's my rant about the de-jure system. Thank you.

Agreed. This is something that always bugged me as well. Keep in mid, however, that some cbs, such as crusades and invasions, target a kingdom instead of a duchy, so it is not practical to just have parts of the map without a de jure kingdom.

Personally, I am have a mod concept in my mind that would replace all the ahistorical de jure kingdoms for uncreatable ones that follow more the geographic lines than the political ones. They would, with time, be replaced as (titular) kigndoms form in the area. I would also edit history files so de jure kingdoms that popped into existence during the time line only existed at the appropriate times. Of course, all the former de jure kingdoms would still exist, only as titular titles instead.

So, for example, I would replace the southern parts of Sweden plus Scania for a place holder "kingdom" that couldn't be created, at last for CM and OG start dates. By 1066 those would probably already be replaced be proper de jure Sweden and Denmark, although the norther bits of Sweden would still be another fake de jure kingdom until the get conquered and assimilated.

That idea is simple enough but I believe it wouldn't be a easy to put to practice. Crusade weight would be a problem, for example. Plus whatever I can't foresee myself.

I disagree. Kingdoms and Empires should be based off of culture and since county culture does not change much in the game then the de-jure titles are pretty much static and are a good representation. I can see de-jure titles growing on their own a bit if several contiguous counties switch culture.

I don't have anything against the de-jury system in of itself, but it is indeed badly organised. For instance, Kingdom of Bohemia was de-jure part of the Wendish Empire in Old Gods, but suddenly became de-jure HRE in CM. That's completely flipped around, as Bohemia didn't associate with the HRE until the 10th century (old gods era), before that they were an independant slavic power (CM era).

Also, Panonnia. What the hell is Pannonia. It never existed, never had a reason to exist. It's only a placeholder for all the lands that were supposed to be Hungary. Too bad in my game the Magyars were eradicated. Hungary never came to be. Now I have a completely fantastical state that exists for no reason whatsoever.

IMO, de-jure duchies work as intended (small, pre-existing units), but kingdom and empire de-juries are both illogical and arbitrary (they never existed before, how can they be DE-JURE?), and, as OP mentioned, steer the game into predicable directions.

Last edited:
If I understood the OP correctly, wouldn't the existence of Pannonia be a good example of what the game should strive for in his opinion? Not in the de jure sense, but in the sense that you have a powerful ruler who rules over a stretch of land and can proclaim it a kingdom?

I agree on the Bohemian issue, but there shouldn't even be a Bohemia in the CM era.

I disagree. Kingdoms and Empires should be based off of culture and since county culture does not change much in the game then the de-jure titles are pretty much static and are a good representation.

How is that any relevant? Most of de jure Sweden and Norway are of Norse culture, the distinction between the two states is completely arbitrary.

I think all of these are fair points, and yes, it's for sure too easy to form the Scandinavian kingdoms early on now, way way way too easy, but.. I think looking at the world in AD 1000 I prefer to see the kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, instead of the kingdom of Jylland, Gotland, and Lappland, named something out of the blue. It's railroading to some extent, sure - but I think the game is more enjoyable when it has some resemblance to our timeline.

Agreed. This is something that always bugged me as well. Keep in mid, however, that some cbs, such as crusades and invasions, target a kingdom instead of a duchy, so it is not practical to just have parts of the map without a de jure kingdom.

Personally, I am have a mod concept in my mind that would replace all the ahistorical de jure kingdoms for uncreatable ones that follow more the geographic lines than the political ones. They would, with time, be replaced as (titular) kigndoms form in the area. I would also edit history files so de jure kingdoms that popped into existence during the time line only existed at the appropriate times. Of course, all the former de jure kingdoms would still exist, only as titular titles instead.

So, for example, I would replace the southern parts of Sweden plus Scania for a place holder "kingdom" that couldn't be created, at last for CM and OG start dates. By 1066 those would probably already be replaced be proper de jure Sweden and Denmark, although the norther bits of Sweden would still be another fake de jure kingdom until the get conquered and assimilated.

That idea is simple enough but I believe it wouldn't be a easy to put to practice. Crusade weight would be a problem, for example. Plus whatever I can't foresee myself.

Of course, seeing as the current de-jure kingdoms are tied to such things like crusades, it could be some problems. I think I have an easy solution for that though. Simply divide the map into various big and small (and sometimes overlapping, as they often are) regions, which can be targeted by crusades. That would, as far as I know, not only be more realistic, but also historical since the crusades were actually targeted at areas, like the crusade to take prussia and the more famous one for judea/the holy land.

I disagree. Kingdoms and Empires should be based off of culture and since county culture does not change much in the game then the de-jure titles are pretty much static and are a good representation. I can see de-jure titles growing on their own a bit if several contiguous counties switch culture.

Kingdoms can be tied to culture, but they are not necessarily so. Let's remember that the nationalism in the 19th century and forward sense didn't really exist at this time. That is not to say that people didn't indentify by their culture -which they of course did- but identities at this time were often on a much smaller clan/tribe level. Point being, nation states didn't really exist, and it would be very anachronistic to base kingdoms upon it. But as I said, kingdoms can be based upon culture. The thing with a kingdom is that you're king over something. That something can be a certain geographical region with no regard to the cultures living there, or that something can be a certain people/culture, or both. Sweden for example, is a kingdom of the people swedes rather than a geographical area of sweden (originally), whilst spain is a kingdom of the region of hispania, originally. Of course, this is a very minor and subtle difference, but if CK2 could somehow allow kingdoms to be formed around either an area or a people, that would be simply awesome.

I don't have anything against the de-jury system in of itself, but it is indeed badly organised. For instance, Kingdom of Bohemia was de-jure part of the Wendish Empire in Old Gods, but suddenly became de-jure HRE in CM. That's completely flipped around, as Bohemia didn't associate with the HRE until the 10th century (old gods era), before that they were an independant slavic power (CM era).

Also, Panonnia. What the hell is Pannonia. It never existed, never had a reason to exist. It's only a placeholder for all the lands that were supposed to be Hungary. Too bad in my game the Magyars were eradicated. Hungary never came to be. Now I have a completely fantastical state that exists for no reason whatsoever.

IMO, de-jure duchies work as intended (small, pre-existing units), but kingdom and empire de-juries are both illogical and arbitrary (they never existed before, how can they be DE-JURE?), and, as OP mentioned, steer the game into predicable directions.

Yes indeed. I can understand that desire from paradox's side to have the whole world neatly divided into kingdoms, with each belonging to an empire, and with each having certain duchies under it, but the problem is that doesn't at all accurately reflect big parts of the world at that time and it certainly doesn't make the game behave very historically plausible. Also, my criticism is not of the de-jure system as a whole, just this particular aspect of it.

Pannonia was originally a roman province named after a people who lived there, but later pannonia came to refer to the plains of hungary, surrounded by the alps, carpathians and balkan mountains. It is a geographical area, just like italy and hispania are. As I've said, I'd like to see the world divided into big and small overlapping regions, around which kingdoms can be formed and named after. Pannonia would be one such region.

I totally accept any practical argument made for keeping duchies as they are, but otherwise I think that they should be held to the same standard as kingdoms and empires are here. If they haven't existed before and aren't based around some natural borders, there's really no reasons to have them as pre-existing de-jure. In my view, it would be much better if a count could simply form a duchy if he has enough provinces, and after a while those provinces will become a de-jure duchy.

If I understood the OP correctly, wouldn't the existence of Pannonia be a good example of what the game should strive for in his opinion? Not in the de jure sense, but in the sense that you have a powerful ruler who rules over a stretch of land and can proclaim it a kingdom?

I agree on the Bohemian issue, but there shouldn't even be a Bohemia in the CM era.

Yes, pannonia, as a region, is good.

I think all of these are fair points, and yes, it's for sure too easy to form the Scandinavian kingdoms early on now, way way way too easy, but.. I think looking at the world in AD 1000 I prefer to see the kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, instead of the kingdom of Jylland, Gotland, and Lappland, named something out of the blue. It's railroading to some extent, sure - but I think the game is more enjoyable when it has some resemblance to our timeline.

I understand that and I agree, but doesn't it bother you that you see Sweden and Denmark even within 50 years of the start of CM? It sure bothers me. Also, if Gotland actually manages to conquer the Sweden, and not the other way around, it would be very silly if the realm was called Sweden since it literally wouldn't be "the realm of the swedes" but the realm of the gutes.

Meh, it's just a game at the end of the day, it works as well enough as it is.

Are you saying games shouldn't be improved upon or what?

I understand that and I agree, but doesn't it bother you that you see Sweden and Denmark even within 50 years of the start of CM? It sure bothers me. Also, if Gotland actually manages to conquer the Sweden, and not the other way around, it would be very silly if the realm was called Sweden since it literally wouldn't be "the realm of the swedes" but the realm of the gutes.

I think this is more of a naming issue. If Gotland people conquer Sweden the realm should be called Gotland. The game does have some of this but it needs to be fleshed out more. For instance when I create Britannia as Irish it's called Alba (though the troops are still British!).

Do you really think I didn't check Wiki? Seriosuly? This isn't EU: Rome, though. That's my point.

Given the time period, these might be more relevant, though the namesake is still the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonian_Croatia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_of_Pannonia

Neither of those is the place or size of the KINGDOM that forms in the Hungarian lands. And there wasn't any slavic "pannonian" culture in that area either.
It's one of the most gamey and incomprehensible things in this game I've seen so far.

Pannonia was originally a roman province named after a people who lived there, but later pannonia came to refer to the plains of hungary, surrounded by the alps, carpathians and balkan mountains. It is a geographical area, just like italy and hispania are. As I've said, I'd like to see the world divided into big and small overlapping regions, around which kingdoms can be formed and named after. Pannonia would be one such region.

Yes, pannonia, as a region, is good.

I've been researching it today, and haven't seen the region referred to it as such. It's always the Carpathian Basin.

Also, my problem wasn't geographical. It's that it's a formable kingdom. DE-JURE kingdom.

It's not de-jure anything. It's an area no one had any claims to ever, totally fair game for all.

That's why de-jure kingdoms and empires are a problem.

Last edited:
Of course, seeing as the current de-jure kingdoms are tied to such things like crusades, it could be some problems. I think I have an easy solution for that though. Simply divide the map into various big and small (and sometimes overlapping, as they often are) regions, which can be targeted by crusades. That would, as far as I know, not only be more realistic, but also historical since the crusades were actually targeted at areas, like the crusade to take prussia and the more famous one for judea/the holy land.

That would be great, but it is a more radical way to change the system. I was thinking more on moding terms. Currently the only way to define 'regions' is through the de jure system. Of course the devs could theorically change the whole system if they want. I doubt this is much practical unless we are talking about CK3 or something. Working by the rules we have now, I think my idea is the best one, although far from perfect.

I'm saying it's not that much of a problem when you think about it, the de jure system is one of those things that hasn't been changed since the game came out so I feel that why should you fix something that isn't broke.

But it is broke. Of course it works well overall, but there are flaws, as I've pointed out, and those can and should be looked at.

I think this is more of a naming issue. If Gotland people conquer Sweden the realm should be called Gotland. The game does have some of this but it needs to be fleshed out more. For instance when I create Britannia as Irish it's called Alba (though the troops are still British!).

Yes indeed, more flavour. Alternative history flavour in this case. I can understand the difficulty of providing good names for each possible alternative history. If only they could come up with some system to solve that..

I've been researching it today, and haven't seen the region referred to it as such. It's always the Carpathian Basin.

Also, my problem wasn't geographical. It's that it's a formable kingdom. DE-JURE kingdom.

It's not de-jure anything. It's an area no one had any claims to ever, totally fair game for all.

That's why de-jure kingdoms and empires are a problem.

There's a wikipedia article on the pannonian basin, and the alternate names for the same area is the carpathian basin and the pannonian plain. I'm not really sure pannonia would be the best name for this region in CM. I'm not sure pannonia referred to the whole plain at that time. Still, it's a rather clearly defined region upon with a kingdom could be formed. Please read the first two paragraphs in my second post in this thread were I explain how I'd like there to be regions in CK2.

I agree with you that there wasn't any kind of pannonian kingdom to re-unite, and thus that de-jure in that context is very silly.

That would be great, but it is a more radical way to change the system. I was thinking more on moding terms. Currently the only way to define 'regions' is through the de jure system. Of course the devs could theorically change the whole system if they want. I doubt this is much practical unless we are talking about CK3 or something. Working by the rules we have now, I think my idea is the best one, although far from perfect.

I'm not really into modding though. I understand how to edit files and that, but I'm really just putting out my thoughts about CK2 for other forum members and hopefully devs to look at. I haven't really tried mods for CK2.. Maybe I should.

Yes, It's perhaps best for CK3. I'm just sharing my ideas.

Not sure I see the problem. Isn't the point of the de-jure system to (semi-strongly) railroad the world into the historical one? Småland and Uppland eventually becoma part of the same country, and the game applies light force to achieve that goal.

The historical accuracy and general abstraction level is of course another topic.

Not sure I see the problem. Isn't the point of the de-jure system to (semi-strongly) railroad the world into the historical one? Småland and Uppland eventually becoma part of the same country, and the game applies light force to achieve that goal.

The historical accuracy and general abstraction level is of course another topic.

It's not a very light force in my view. The problem is that with the CM start, the king of Svithjod can strive to become king of a "Sweden" which stretches from lappland to småland which makes no sense at all. First of all, he is already the king of Sweden since svithjod is Sweden. Sweden at that time was the same thing as svithjod. There wasn't any other kind of Sweden to become king over, it simply didn't exist. But still, the game gives him an ambition to conquer an arbitrary and anachronistic area of land called Sweden, and gives him a CB to do so, and makes rulers living in those lands recognise him as their de-jure liege. All of that is totally ridiculous.

Yes, I understand and agree that it's nice if history in CK2 doesn't diverge too much from real history, but there must be room for alternate or even freak developments. Svithjod is already the strongest realm in that area in CM, and will most likely form a large realm even without artificial help like a de-jure Sweden. I'm sure that I'm most games, Svithjod would form a Sweden in any case. But the important thing for me is that we must allow alternate histories.