• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Habba

Captain
31 Badges
Oct 5, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
Upon seeing the astonishing amount of new national ideas we'll get with AoW I was (again) surprised with how much new content this DLC will deliver. However, NI's are a rather "cheap" way of adding flavour, as they are easily implemented. The hardest part of adding new NI's is probably choosing a nation and coming up with good ideas for them. So I thought to myself, why should we, the fanbase, not help P'dox come up with new ideas? Therefore I opened this thread with the intention of collecting suggestions and ideas on new National Ideas and which nations should get them. Of course you can also discuss these suggestion. However, before submitting a suggestion I'd ask everyone to rethink their suggestions and ask themselves a few questions:

- Are the ideas balanced?
- Are the ideas historical?
- How will the ideas influence the gameplay of the nation(s) which gets them?
- How unique are the ideas?

I'd like to start with my very own suggestion:

Tirol:

100px-Tirol.png

Traditions:

+100% Coring Cost
+25% Defensivness

Ideas:

1. Landsturm: +20% Manpower

"On the 23. June 1511 the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I. and the estates of Tyrol agreed on the "Landlibell", which
regulated the military duties of Tyrol. One of its core components was the "Landsturm" which was called when Tyrol was
in immediate danger and which was compromised of every able-bodied male from the ages of 16 to 60."

2. Freibauern: -2 National Revolt Risk

"Since the medieval time the populace of Tyrol was mostly compromised of freeholders who were granted a simple form of
representation in the local goverment."

3. Standschützen: -10% Recruitment Time

"The populace of Tyrol has always been ready to defend their land. Many of the men of Tyrol voluntarily enlisted in the
local company of the Standschützen, a militarly organized militia which was often called upon in times of war."

4. Das Heil'ge Land Tirol: +2 Tolerance of the True Faith

"Since the counter-reformation, Tyrol has been a bastion of Catholicism. The few Protestants and Reformists like Jacob
Hutter were forced to leave the country in search of a new home."

5. The Red Eagle Banner: +10% Moral for Armies

"Our armies are small and mostly consist of peasants and militiamen. While some of them have experience in the use of
hunting rifles, they are still no match for a disciplined army of regulars. But when the Red Eagle calls our men
to war, all of them are eager and willing to defend the land of our fathers."

6. Mountain Passes: +10% National Tax Modifier

"The land in the mountains has always been an important trade route between Germany to the north and Italy to the south.
As long as we hold the important passes through the Alps, we can tax the merchants for our profit."

7. Herz-Jesu-Feuer: -0.05 Monthly War Exhaustion

"In 1796 the estates of Tyrol pledged their alliegance to the Heart of Christ in hope for divine help in an upcoming war.
After the their victory a religious holiday was instituted to commemorate this holy vow. Ever since, the
Tyroleans have celebrated this day by lighting fires in the mountains, a clearly visible sign of our solidarity."

Ambition:

+1 Attrition for Enemies

Comments:
I personally think the ideas are a tad bit overpowered so I wouldn't mind to change them a bit. In general, I aimed to provide the nation with substantial defensive benefits, as that fits the nation IMHO. I also guess that the ideas are historical fitting, even if some of them come from the Napoleonic times (so still in the timeframe of the game, by a small margin).
What I'm not that happy about are the names. Most of the are in German, while National ideas tend to have English names. So if someone can come up with better names, I'm happy to hear suggestion.

Feel free to post your own suggestions!

PS: Given that AoW comes out next week, I seriously doubt that any of our suggestions will make it in the patch. But maybe we can inspire Paradox to add some of our suggestions in future patches/addons.