• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delpiero1234

WritAAR
34 Badges
Jun 24, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
So my Italian Doge married a Nubian woman. Their mutual daughter is also colored but her culture is Italian. Shouldn't her culture be Nubian? I really doubt that in the 10th century colored Italians existed.

....what is that even supposed to mean?

Racism is a lot newer than you think it is. Back in those days if you could convert them to your religion, they were equally human. Unless they weren't noble. But probably she's "noblier" than you, since you're a burgher.

Culture =/= race. Children inherit the culture from the their primary parent (usually the father, but the mother in matrilineal). Their race will be random from either one. In game terms, the race is what they look like, what culture is what matter for diplomacy (also effect what they wear).

Culture is totally different from genetics in CK2. Culture isn't set in stone and can change through education and other events.

Randomly generated characters will use their culture's "natural" portraits, but characters who are born will have an appearance that only depends from their ancestry, not from their culture.

(Clothes depend on culture though).

In one of my games, the Kaiser's of the HRE were black.... and not from coming from the Black Forest.

I was my doing , I had at one point married my Armenian Doux's to an Ethiopean woman.. ( you should have seen the size of her Stats!) then one of the children married a German Duke, couple of generations I noticed the Kaiser and his heir weren't super Nordic looking and traced it back to that marriage :)

fun stuff, but realy the game 'genetic graphics" stay the same no matter what culture/religion they get converted to.

To put it even more simply: skin colour=/=culture. Heck, skin colour means nearly nothing, but we have put such massive emphasis on how much UV defense you get.

That your daughter speaks Italian, eats Italian, thinks in Italian-taught concepts, carries Italian values, and has black skin doesn't mean she's Nubian.

Culture is totally different from genetics in CK2. Culture isn't set in stone and can change through education and other events.
That explains it. Thanks!

So my Italian Doge married a Nubian woman. Their mutual daughter is also colored but her culture is Italian. Shouldn't her culture be Nubian? I really doubt that in the 10th century colored Italians existed.
- so in your opinion Obama is not american but kenyan?

- so in your opinion Obama is not american but kenyan?
I think some of you misunderstood my thread. I thought that maybe in the 10th century people were not as open-minded as they are today and that culture back than was mostly defined by race.

Back to your question: Of course I think Obama is American but I also live in the 21st century and not in the 10th century.

Yes, calling black people "colored" is rather retro, if not downright racist sounding...
I was taught that calling them black is racist and colored is a neutral term. No offence meant.

I think some of you misunderstood my thread. I thought that maybe in the 10th century people were not as open-minded as they are today and that culture back than was mostly defined by race.
'Race' in the modern sense didn't exist until it was invented by Germans pseudo-scientists in the 18th century. People thought physiological differences were due to geography (which isn't inaccurate) and language and culture mattered more in regards to identity. You couldn't be more wrong.

@OP:

The game divides a person on three bases - religion, culture and ethnicity.

Religion represents the faith they follow. Culture represents the language they speak, the way they live and such. And ethnicity is a hidden thing representing how they look, what race their looks are decended from and inheriting features from parents and such.

These things are separate. Ethnicity doesn't represent culture or language. Your Doge's daughter may be ethnically Nubian, but she is culturally Italian, so she speaks Italian and lives in the way of Italian people.

It is the same as having a courtier who comes from Greek ethnicity, but speaks Persian language and lives in Persia, and follows Zoroastrianism. Or in real life how you see immigrants from various ethnicities arriving in the west, speaking English (or the local language), and following various religions of their choice.

This, I hope, pretty much sums it all up.

'Race' in the modern sense didn't exist until it was invented by Germans pseudo-scientists in the 18th century. People thought physiological differences were due to geography (which isn't inaccurate) and language and culture mattered more in regards to identity. You couldn't be more wrong.

I don't think race was just a German invention... One of the first ones who start with it was Carl Linnaeus a Swedish scientist. Then we have the French Georges Buffon and the Dutch Petrus Camper. Or Thomas Jefferson in the USA. We have Scottish Lord Kames and the English Charles White and Edward Long. French Julien-Joseph Virey. In the USA Samuel George Morton, Josiah C. Nott and Louis Agassiz. But okay... Racism is a German invention... of course... We Germans are the evil of the world...

Status
Not open for further replies.