• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arilou

Irken Tallest
103 Badges
Aug 24, 2002
Visit site
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • King Arthur II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Ah... now it's time again, let's see how long this one lives.

Version: 1.06
Mods: EEP 1.31
Style of play: Insane.

France, Vast, Mysterious, and full of Wealth. The History of this great nations is an interesting subject, it is a history of greatness, tragedy, blood, feuds, blood, love, revolutions, blood, sinners, saints, blood, blood, great generals and noble statesmen, blood, burning with hot irons and blood.

If we would start looking at France at a randomly choosen time (let us take 1419) it should be apparent to all that France was in trouble. The Naughty English and Treacherous Burgundians were knocking at the doors of Paris, asking to be le tin, the majority of french lands were under the control of vassals, whose loyalty to the crown was questionable at best.

The Monarch, Charles VI, was mad at best, you didn't want to know how he was at is worst...

Anyway, the Hundred Years War was not going well for France, the Burgundians ravaged the lands, taking province after Province, finally, in March 1419 the deranged king was forced to cede Picardie to the Burgundian duke, at the peace-summit uttered the famous words "I'm a duck."

Later during the war the rebellious Duchy of Brittany had joined the English and Burgundian armies, the Britons where however, easily bribed, as the king offered the Duke of Bretagne a small man named Ed (estimated worth 5 ducats) and was very surprised when the Duke accepted.

January 1421 saw a great boon for France, as the Scots assisted the Dauphín, sending one of their best generals, the Earl of Buchan, to aid their french comrades. The aid proved welcome, in September 1421 the french army completely annihilated the english at the Battle of Nevers, more than thirty thousand englishmen lay dead at the end of that day, and it is rumoured that not a single englishman survived the battle.

However, internal instability forced the french crown to accept only moderate gains, the english province of Caux was returned to it's rightful french overlords, but the rest of the country remained in english hands.

Later that year a suspected english agent assasinated the Mad King Charles, in response the Dauphín of France strengthened Central Authority, increasing his personal power at the expense of national stability.

charles-vii.jpg

The Dauphín of France, Charles VII

In November 1422 the french decided to take an innovative leap: Perhaps we ought to replace the illoyal, treacherous, unreliable and cumbersome noble levies with a sleek, permanent force? It seems like a good idea, and So It Was Done.

In January 1425 another war blossomed up, not forgetting the treacherous' duchy's actions during the last war, Charles VII sent some of his finest, the Conestable of France, Arthur de Richemont, the Earl of Buchan and Jean d'Dunois to besiege the duchy and crush it's armies. The campaign was successfull and within a few months the duchy had resigned itself to a status as a french vassal once more.

Why is it insane? Or, like that old moldavian saying, "as the turk, so is his gun"? :D

Originally posted by Alexandru H.
Why is it insane? Or, like that old moldavian saying, "as the turk, so is his gun"? :D

You'll see... You see, after playing very peacefully 'till 1650 or so I suddenly realize how boring that was, so I go on an annexation (and most of all CONVERSION) spree....

Allez, allez. Looks good. Well written, interesting and easy to read;)

Charles VII's rule would prove to be one of strengthening and restoration, in 1429 he refused to sell the Crown's Monopoly Rights, strengthening central authority. Internal stability improved, and also he revived the war against Burgundy, one of the first acts of that war was to completely crush the burgundians armies in the Battle of Dijon. French sources suggest that the Duke of Burgundy was so incensed by his failure that he ordered his court-jester to slap him three times every day, muttering "Remember Dijon" to remind himself of his indignity.

Later the same year a young peasant-girl from Lorraine, claiming divine inspiration, took command of the french armies, wheter her visions were true or not remains a mystery, fact is that under the command of Jeanne d'arc the french armies experienced victory after victory, in August 1430 the english king was forced to cede Calais, Gascogne and Normandie to the french crown, a great victory for the french.

The war was not over until 1431 however, when the burgundian duke surrendered, ceding Artois and Picardie, the Burgundians also were forced to let french troops pass through Burgundy.

ingres.jpg

Jeanne d'Arc

Jeanne's growing power and influence proved troublesome for the King however, and in January 1432 he forced the Maid of Orléans to abondon her command and retire. However, that life did not agree with the Maid of Orléans, the following year she raised her banners in revolt against king Charles, however, he showed his excellent diplomatic skills and managed to negotiate a peaceful settlement to the revolt.

In 1432 the king of Scotland demanded that the french honour their alliance and declare war on the foes of the Scottish Kingdom. The treacherous king Charles however, refused, France would be better served by peace, he argued. Than with maintaining an old and obsolete alliance, and in any case the enemies of Scotland were currently not the enemies of France.

The period after the end of the War was known as the Consolidation, french duchy after french duchy accepted full royal sovereignity, adding greatly to the power and influence of the King, 1432 Orleáns accepted royal control, followed by Auvergne in 1434 and Bourbonnais in 1435. The addition of these vast and rich lands to the Royal Domains required reforms, and in 1438 a reform of the tax and financial systems was executed.

Another event of note occured in 1439, Gilles de Rais, one of the country's greatest commanders, was tried and executed for murder and devil-worship, this event led to improved relations with the Burdundians, so much improved actually, that Burgundy accepted to become Vassals of France in 1443.

The Burgudians did not lie idle, but declared war against the russian city-state Novgorod in 1445, the french joined the war, mostly as moral support: No french soldier was killed during the war.

Last edited:
Nice update. Burgundy declaring war on Novgorod. Now that was something;)

Yep, The Burgundians were pretty mad during this game... I had to save them dozens of times.

I'm trying to get this AAR to have the musty old school-book feel, (I'll even include assignments at the end of the chapter...) Does it work?

In 1447 a great step was taking in the economical history of France; The refineries of Provence and Champagne were established, these wine-distilleries would provide the State with large amounts of money over the years, as well as increase the trade significantly.

wmcrush.jpg

Wine-making.

In July1451 yet another important event occured, the Duke of Provence and Anjou died heirless, reverting his lands to the Crown. The Lands of Provence consisted of the provinces of Maine and Provence, as well as the dutch province Brabant.

1452 saw a short and relatively bloodless war against Aragon, the war ended in a status Quo.

Originally posted by Arilou
Yep, The Burgundians were pretty mad during this game... I had to save them dozens of times.

I'm trying to get this AAR to have the musty old school-book feel, (I'll even include assignments at the end of the chapter...) Does it work?

Well I would not know your exact reference but if I compare to my references from school the answer is yes;)

Good, then it appears I have succeded...

Expect your tasks at the end of the 15th century...

If you do you should read the Legacy of the White Sheep... A much sillier AAR.

In April 1452 the Burgundian duke requested the aid of the King of France for yet another war, king Charles aided his vassal, but nonetheless the war ended without any significant changes to either the burgundian or french border.

In December 1461 the french king recieved bad news: The duke of Savoy had invaded the Holy See, imprisoned the pope himself and proclaimed Rome to be a part of Savoy. This indignity of course infuriated the french king, he called for a Holy War against the Savojards and their allies, the Duchy of Gelre and the Palatinate Electorate. The war went splendid for the French armies, the Geldrans surrendered in 1459, Savoy itself was forced the relinquish their claims on Rome in 1461 (the french of course, reinstated the Papal States, an action that was applauded loudly by most catholic powers) in April 1466 the last of the warring powers, the Palatinate, was forced to cede Lorraine to their rightful french overlords.

Between 1466 and 1480 the french kingdom was embroiled in several wars, mostly due to the aggressiveness of their Burgundian allies. Usually these wars were short and bloodless.

In 1480 however, the situation changed. The Burgundian duke Charles the Bold died, in his inheritance he specified that the Heir of his lands would be the Habsburg prince Maximilian, incensed the french king seized all Burgundian lands within french territory (Franche-Comte and Bourgougne, most significantly). The Austrians (claiming the right to Franche-Comte) invaded France, the war of Charle's Crown was to last until 1481, when hostilities ended in a status Quo.

Strange must have missed this update before. Well nice update anyway;)

Interesting AAR.

Reading with interest.

Damn, it's interesting?
I seem to have failed...

Originally posted by Arilou
Damn, it's interesting?
I seem to have failed...

Compared to White Sheep it is even coherent :D