• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
except for the points brought up by safe-keeper weather in HOI3 only worked in the northern hemisphere due to bugs and was almost impossible to balance and tweak. :S
Indeed. IMO the weather system in HOI2, while much simpler, was also more effective, less buggy, more polished and more customizable, with various moddable values, including different modifiers for the attacker and the defender.

Yeah, I paid attention in TRP to some degree (mostly because I love playing the Soviets). Still, it could be so, so much better. I'm impressed by podcat's confidence but I hope it is warranted. Will the weather be a big player this time around?

I know I'd love to see the effects of monsoon rains, rasputitsa, hurricanes, snowstorms, as well as short-term events like fog, sandstorms, flash floods, etc. Being a big-time fan of the East Front, it would be a delightful change of pace for a section of the front to seize up for reasons other than the AI falling asleep. I mean how cool would it be for the German advance to stop dead - from the front end all the way to the rear echelons - because of a giant winter snowstorm? Likewise for a huge Pacific hurricane causing Japan and the US to redirect their CTFs. That's immersion.

the ME 163 Komet was never used for kamikaze attacks, that would be way too ahistorical to model in
Should be pretty obvious to anyone I wasn't talking about the ME 163.

I was referring to the A34, the Comet tank. It probably hit a lot of things during the war, not the least of which people.

Duh.
;)

Should be pretty obvious to anyone I wasn't talking about the ME 163.

I was referring to the A34, the Comet tank. It probably hit a lot of things during the war, not the least of which people.

Duh.
;)
PyqdxFe.jpg

hint...it's a Comet

Last edited:
Just remembered I was playing TRP. Weather works pretty great with the added arctic provinces.

You actually didn't need to create lots of Arctic provinces, you could get the weather to be pretty good by changing the temperature map and where weather system spawned from (you also did need to adjust some of the terrain values). There were some problems that could not be overcome. You could get a good Russian winter but it would be far too cold in summer because you couldn't give some areas a greater temperature range than others, so Russia would have the same temperature range as the UK! Also there were no seasons in the souther hemisphere... it was the same temperature all year. You actually didn't need to change much to fix the weather... the main thing need was to have two temperature maps (one for summer and one for winter, instead of an average one).

Made me think of an idea:

Meteorologists.

Give you a weather report of possible conditions/temperature in the next 3 days (most accurate) next 8 days (less accurate) and the next 16 days (least accurate)

Made me think of an idea:

Meteorologists.

Give you a weather report of possible conditions/temperature in the next 3 days (most accurate) next 8 days (less accurate) and the next 16 days (least accurate)
I think that would be more for a tactical level game, but...maybe a tech.

BTW I'm a really bad speller, but I had to correct the thread title.

Now that you can actually see snow and ice in winter on the main map, is there a chance for a bit of sea-ice in the future as well?
This would come in handy for places like the Baltic. There is a reason why the Germans shipped lots of stuff from Narvik in winter and why the Soviets really wanted to get Königsberg after the war was over, and it was the frozen baltic. With the Gulf of Bothnia and Gulf of Finland frozen in winter time, all the Swedish ore had to be transported along the Norwegian coast and the big Soviet fleet harbours couldn't be used.

Probably not something that can be done in the near future, but it could be a nice minor addition over the longrun.

You actually didn't need to create lots of Arctic provinces, you could get the weather to be pretty good by changing the temperature map and where weather system spawned from (you also did need to adjust some of the terrain values). There were some problems that could not be overcome. You could get a good Russian winter but it would be far too cold in summer because you couldn't give some areas a greater temperature range than others, so Russia would have the same temperature range as the UK! Also there were no seasons in the souther hemisphere... it was the same temperature all year. You actually didn't need to change much to fix the weather... the main thing need was to have two temperature maps (one for summer and one for winter, instead of an average one).

I don't know about the Southern Hemisphere but I did mod a version of TRP to include different temperature settings and, IIRC, messed around a bit with the high pressure/low pressure zones.

Winters were harsh in the north and were still warm around the mediterranean. Offensives needed to be halted during the winter (change AI stance from "defensive" to "prepare"). Oh, and operating carriers during inclement weather was suicide against BBs!

Really, I quite enjoyed HoI3 weather.

I dont see how thats possible in any universe

except for the points brought up by safe-keeper weather in HOI3 only worked in the northern hemisphere due to bugs and was almost impossible to balance and tweak. :S

I applaud the realistic assessment of weather in HOI3. I made the decision to ignore it completely as it was too impenetrable for me to deal with. :)