• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jokolytic

Defensor Innocentis
13 Badges
Nov 25, 2012
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
I am an aspiring digital artist, and I have a couple of questions on the art of these games:

• Who does the art for the promos, loading screens, covers etc.? Is it one person or many?

• How are these painted? What programs are used (Photoshop? SAI?)? Is it done from scratch, based upon a traditional scanned paper sketch, or are references used?

• Can we PLEASE see some kind of speedpaint of a painting of a loading screen or cover by an artist? I'm so curious to see how these are made. It could be put on ParadoxExtra on Youtube!

Please answer these, I am dying to know!

Um, are these able to be answered or secret?

I am an aspiring digital artist, and I have a couple of questions on the art of these games:

• Who does the art for the promos, loading screens, covers etc.? Is it one person or many?

• How are these painted? What programs are used (Photoshop? SAI?)? Is it done from scratch, based upon a traditional scanned paper sketch, or are references used?

• Can we PLEASE see some kind of speedpaint of a painting of a loading screen or cover by an artist? I'm so curious to see how these are made. It could be put on ParadoxExtra on Youtube!

Please answer these, I am dying to know!

Um, are these able to be answered or secret?

You asked these questions rather late on a Friday evening (here in Sweden, at least). If you wait until Monday there might be better answers from a 2D-artist than from me as I am not an artist myself. Anyways:
* As you are asking in the PDS' part of the forum, you get to know that we have four 2D-artists (at least, that's how many there were last time I checked...) that all paint loading screens and other stuff. Covers might be outsourced to a third party, but some has been made in-house, such as the cover for March of the Eagles which was painted by Adrenaline. It all depends on how much work the 2D-artists have to do. That is especially true for promos, which might be painted in-house or outsourced. Sometimes it is cheaper to use a freelancer for stuff like that.
* I think that all our 2D-artists use Photoshop and have some kind of pen tablet like a Wacom or similar. How they produce things depends on the project and what we need. The rest of the question I think I'll let a real 2D-artist answer :)
* Nice idea, have you suggested that here? http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?801303-Paradox-Extra-wants-YOU!

Ah, thank you! I keep forgetting this subforum isn't the actual general discussion board. XD Anyway, I'll suggest the last point in that link!

Sorry to barge in the thread, but also being an aspiring digital artist (as well as being a real-life hobby artist, sketcher, painter and pianist) I always wondered what you guys used to paint these artworks. Digital pen/stylus with a pad probably? Or a touch monitor with a stylus?

I doubt the artist teams create these great works by clicking around with their mouse in MS Paint. :p

Sorry to barge in the thread, but also being an aspiring digital artist (as well as being a real-life hobby artist, sketcher, painter and pianist) I always wondered what you guys used to paint these artworks. Digital pen/stylus with a pad probably? Or a touch monitor with a stylus?

I doubt the artist teams create these great works by clicking around with their mouse in MS Paint. :p

I think most of them use a Wacom or similar:
* I think that all our 2D-artists use Photoshop and have some kind of pen tablet like a Wacom or similar.