Will we finally see synthetic oil plants in HOI IV?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
More than a bit. The OP didn't rant. He asked a question. How are the devs going to know our concerns if we don't ask questions, even if it is on things they have not revealed yet?

If any thread went overboard in that regard it was the CoC/OOB thread.

But production lines and synthetic oil may not be the same thing (I doubt if they are). Wouldn't the oil be infrastructure? So let's wait to get clarification.

I was thinking of the general concept in which you can not bomb the most essential industry to your enemy. However, Dalwin and Bluestreak2k explained how this system is not much different from what we have seen in HOI2 and 3

It occurs to me that saying that factory shortfalls coming from the lowest priority production line is the same as the old queue system overlooks something important. The initial impact is the same, and in the sense of strategic bombing it is essentially the same. Let's look at another situation that results in factories being taken out of production. I am referriing to territorial loss.

Let's say, for the sake of example, I am playing Russia. The Germans overrun a big section of my western country. I now have 50 (made up number) fewer factories. This will mean something like my 4 production lines with the lowest priority will cease to exist.

In the old system the items at the bottom would drop to 0% progress when factories were lost, but you could either reorder them in the stack or wait for things ahead of them to complete so that production was resumed on lower items. There was little long term penalty to doing either of these, other than the loss of production from what had been conquered.

If the new system takes such losses from the bottom instead of spreading the loss around to various lines. The only way you will be able to resume production of those items will be to start up new lines at 10% efficiency. This seems like a problem to me.

It occurs to me that saying that factory shortfalls coming from the lowest priority production line is the same as the old queue system overlooks something important. The initial impact is the same, and in the sense of strategic bombing it is essentially the same. Let's look at another situation that results in factories being taken out of production. I am referriing to territorial loss.

Let's say, for the sake of example, I am playing Russia. The Germans overrun a big section of my western country. I now have 50 (made up number) fewer factories. This will mean something like my 4 production lines with the lowest priority will cease to exist.

In the old system the items at the bottom would drop to 0% progress when factories were lost, but you could either reorder them in the stack or wait for things ahead of them to complete so that production was resumed on lower items. There was little long term penalty to doing either of these, other than the loss of production from what had been conquered.

If the new system takes such losses from the bottom instead of spreading the loss around to various lines. The only way you will be able to resume production of those items will be to start up new lines at 10% efficiency. This seems like a problem to me.

Yeah, that's another pitfall with the current system. Not to mention that it is unrealistic that the most essential production lines are never located in territory invaded by the enemy.

Only Germany should have a synthetic oil industry because only Germany had it historically.
Buzz...wrong.
In 1931, the British Department of Scientific and Industrial Research located in Greenwich, England set up a small facility where hydrogen gas was combined with coal at extremely high pressures to make a synthetic fuel. ("Turns Coal Into Motor Fuel", October 1931, Popular Science)

I was unaware of that. I guess one can say that Germany was the only country that produced significant quantities of su\synthetic oil then?

http://energy.gov/fe/early-days-coal-research
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/egee120/node/243

USA had a plant up and running in 1945, Japan had begun its initial attempts in 1937, but ended up getting enough oil through the war to never continue it.

It would be like Germany having the beginning of Nuclear research already completed, but not being able to build the plants until the next 1 or 2 levels are completed.

http://energy.gov/fe/early-days-coal-research
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/egee120/node/243

USA had a plant up and running in 1945, Japan had begun its initial attempts in 1937, but ended up getting enough oil through the war to never continue it.

It would be like Germany having the beginning of Nuclear research already completed, but not being able to build the plants until the next 1 or 2 levels are completed.

Interesting. So it should be possible for all countries to establish a domestic synthetic oil industry. But I take Germany is the only country that will start the game in 1936 with a significant production of it.

Yeah, that's another pitfall with the current system. Not to mention that it is unrealistic that the most essential production lines are never located in territory invaded by the enemy.

I started a new thread to discuss this separately so that it can stop polluting the synthetic oil thread.

Interesting. So it should be possible for all countries to establish a domestic synthetic oil industry. But I take Germany is the only country that will start the game in 1936 with a significant production of it.

Essentially yes, all MAJORS should be able to unlock the research necessary if needed. Maybe all Majors are 1 Tech behind Germany, which unlocks the plants.
All minors should struggle to unlock it though, 2-3 techs.

Essentially yes, all MAJORS should be able to unlock the research necessary if needed. Maybe all Majors are 1 Tech behind Germany, which unlocks the plants.
All minors should struggle to unlock it though, 2-3 techs.
The tech was known, it was the cost of the plants / lack of need that kept most from perusing it, so the tech shouldn't need to be researched, it's the cost of building that needs to be in place.
I happened to do quite a bit of research on this for various reasons, and yes only GER had a sizable industry in place in 36. Their synthetic program actually outproduced Romania's oil production in barrels output 39 -45, to give you an idea of how substantial the GER synthetic oil industry was.

Last edited:
To correct you: All the Majors should have the SynthFuels Technology, but not have any production facilities because of the lack of demand. The US was actually not pumping/refining all the oil they could because the price of oil was less than 10 cents a barrel. Once the demand starts to rise they should be able to build the facilities needed to generate synthetic fuel using the Bergius process (coal hydrogenation) and/or the Fischer-Tropsch process.