• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

greatmustachio

Sergeant
92 Badges
May 17, 2011
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
~~ Introduction ~~

Welcome AARlanders, to my first try at an AAR, ever.
I am "known" in the internetz as "greatmustachio" or MustacheWins on youtube. I do LP's of various niche games, even CK2 back when it was a niche game. I decided to up my game alot with this release of Charlemagne that is supposed to be focused on storytelling. And storytelling is what I intend to do with this AAR. But, it is not only an AAR: I will do an AAR / Video LP combo, where I leave you the option of either read the story through my writings, or watch as I play the game. I hope that both you, and I enjoy the experience.

We will play with a Pagan Tribe, more specifically a Polish one. I choose this tribe in particular, because of two main reasons: First, I am half-polish myself, and secondly, I just recently visited Krakow. I urge everyone to visit this history rich city once in your lifetime.
The charackter I choose is called "Milzas of Cieszyn", I will not customize him, I will play him random (his traits are randomized each go). He starts as the Chief of Cieszyn and Krakow, surrounded by some Polish High Chiefs, waiting to ruin his day. So we will find out if I am able to survive somehow ;)

~~ Houserules ~~

1. This is an ROLEPLAY AAR. I will not try to be gamey!
2. I will take decisions according to the traits of the character I will play.
3. If my character has no preference through his traits for a certain decision, I will let the past experiences influence his decisions.
4. If I come up with nothing else, I do have a d20 to "destiny" it.
5. No Forging claims!
6. No "subjugating" spam, except it fits the characters traits!
7. No "holy war" spam, except it fits the character traits!
8. I think you get it ;-)

~~ Chapter Overview ~~

769-773 A.D. - Chapter 1: From the beginnings of our people
773-779 A.D. - Chapter 2: Nine years of war (YOUTUBE)

The first chapter will follow later this evening, after I finished my M&B Napolenic Wars Line Battle :p

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. I haven't tinkered with the tribal governments yet, so this has my interest.

subbed

~~ Chapter 1: From the beginnings of our people ~~
769 - 773 A.D.

*unreadable textparts*... these pages you see in front of you is my lifes work. I dedicated my younger years to gather all the knowledge of old. I spend numerous years to split the facets of truth from the works of fiction, cleansed the information from the bards exaggerations. All that is left is an accurate account of the history of our people. A history, untold up until now, and worth telling. May you, reader, gain wisdom out of these stories, and may they help you avoid the mistakes we made. But remember, that one can learn many things out of the history of our forefathers. It takes courage to walk these forgotten paths, and faith in our lord Jesus Christ to extract the correct conclusions. I give to you, written with my final breathes, the gathered "Tribal History of the Polish People"

- "Father" Mihal of Krakow, ca. 1180 A.D., Introduction to his "Tribal History of the Polish People"

Many things of the past of our people is lost in the confussion of history. The first written texts we found are more than 400 years old. These text originate out of what is today the town of Cieszyn, out of a tribal federation. Nothing is known of the forming of these federations, only mythical sagas of blasphemous "gods" and champions of those false idols. May that be like it was, what we found are texts telling the story our of the perspective of various members of this tribe, that called itself Golensizi, and ruled initially over lands covering Cieszyn and Krakow. The stories focus on interactions with the ruler, some kind of chieftain of the tribes, and his immediate family. The main person in these beginnings, is a man called Milzas. He is described as an ambitious, though indolent ruler. In the texts you will see that his rule was far from absolute. More often than not, the tribal elders had theire say in the dealings with other tribes. From the accurate descriptions given, I was able to give you a drawing that shows him as I imagine him. I also included a map of the area he and his tribe controlled. Please keep in mind that these are rough estimates!

Milzas of the Golensizi.jpg

We now switch our attention to the people we hear these tales through. Those are the elders of the tribe, some sort of concil there to give advice to the chief, or take over his responsibilities if needed. Most of the stories and history of the tribal times of our people are through eyes of others. It is unknown if these people are also the authors of these texts, but due to a recurring style it is doubtful!

Elders.jpg

"I met with him near the shrine, early in the morning. The winds picked up the leftover snow that was still on the pines. It snowed last night. The Diviners were right, the winter is still not over. His fur coat was wet, he must have prayed for a long time, I could see in his face, that he had been out here for hours.

"Chief!", I said, and greeted him. "Give the Gods some rest, they need to sleep so they can watch over us!" He smiled, like he always did when in a good mood. "They always listen, even when asleep, Odon, thats why they are the gods. But what brings you out to the cold? Surely, I do not need help finding my way to my breakfast?" I replied "Breakfast sounds good, allthough I might have to ruin is with council business. There is much that we have to talk about. Much to be done. It seems that just like the Gods, a Chieftain can not sleep much..."
We made our way into the main hut of the settlement. The fire let me feel warm inside, the mead did help as well. I'll let himhave his quite time during breakfast, we told stories of old and laughed. But I could not delay these matters any further.

"Milzas, we need to handle some things, important things..." He noded, he understood. "Now that we united the Tribes of Cieszyn and Krakow under our rule, your rule, we need to think of the future of our federation. You know how it is, if we show weakness now, they will rise up and take everything we worked for away from you. They respect you, for now. They trust you, but only as far as they can spit. We need to strngthem our ties with them." I waited, to see if he understood what my plan was. He did not. Milzas was good with words, if someone told him which words he should speak. He needed a bit of a hint, from time to time.

"Marriage, Milzas! To truly unite the tribes, you need to marry, and if Perun is gentle, you will father strong and healthy boys that will become our chieftain once you walk the halls of the otherworld.
I know, you are not the guy for one woman. You don't need to only have one, you are the Chieftain afterall, it needs to have some good perks to it? I've taken the freedom to compile a list of suitable brides from the tribe, surely one or two...."

His mug hit the rock that functions as the table in this tent. "No!" he screamed. I halted, looked at hm throughly. He raised his finger, looked me directly in the eyes.
"You want me to marry, and I get that this is something I will have to do. But, I will not marry some women from the lower chiefs of the other tribes. I conquered them, I subjugated them, they are not worthy to carry m heirs. There is only one woman worthy for me. One warrior-princess, a strong woman, who conquered as I did and leads men into battle. I want Dobrava!"

Dobrava.jpg

I had to try hard not to roll my eyes. Dobrava was the High-Chieftess of some tribes far to the east. She came through here at the last fest to Jarilo. He almost immediately fell in love with her, even though she was so shy, she couldn't even speak to him. But I must admit, there was some kind of attraction between these two. And her men told me, she could get furious if she had to. I knew Milzas, and the look on his face told me, that he made his decision. There was no sense in making him understand that the other tribes will not respect his strength more if he brought in a wife that was nearly as powerfull as himself. Quite to the contrary.

"It is decided then. I will send a rider out in the morning, with the proposal." I stood up and made a slight bow, and hoped for the best...."

- Odon of Ustron, Chancellor

-------------------

"... and with the guidance of Perun, his children, brothers and sisters, may this marriage be fruitfull and bore healthy children!" The diviner lowered his hands and the newly-wed couple stood up. The Chieftess didn't even like to look into the eyes of Milzas. What a shy person for someone who conquered more tribes than I could count. Milzas celebrated in laughter, as he is known to do. The fest was splendid. There was boar, in a mild honey sauce, and mead! A lot of mead. I didn't drink, guard duty. Keeping an eye on the guests from the other tribes, many where quite upset when it was announced that Milzas would marry an outsider. They screamed, and threw stuff around, but once we reminded them who conquered whom, they calmed down again.

"My brothers and sisters!", Milzas took the word and there was immediate silence. "Today we gathered here to celebrate the unification of two souls, in front of our tribes and the gods. It is to Peruns favor alone, that we stand here, united as one. Two warriors, choosen by the gods for great thing. Long have I talked about my vision for the tribes, my vision for our people. We are one step closer to achieve this vision! Warriors gathered, and where warriors gather, they will sing, drink and scream in joy of battles in the past, and battles to come." He paused for a second. Brilliantly done. You could hear Odon's words in that speech, but Milzas knew how to deliver if he had to. "These battles will come quite shortly, as I decided, it is time to bring our vision of united tribes under one strong ruler to the other tribes. Within the fortnight, we will march towards the tribes of Sieradz, and bring them into the fold. They foolishly denied us once, but we will crush them now, together!"
Milzas turned to his now wife and reached out with his hand. She stood up and took it, with a smile she led out a scream that showed the other side of that women. 200 hundred warriors screamed with her, it was decided....

accept.jpg

- Jacek of Oswiecim, Marshall

-------------------

"I rode as hard northwards as I could. More than once I thought my trusty stallion would just collapse and die underneath me. I had to make it to the Chiefs camp, before he attacks foolishly into a well laid trap. Allthough Milzas was often overly cautious, his paranoid ways paid of this time, as the guard posts he left to the west found troop movement near the Silesian border. Had it not been for these troops, they would have cought us with our pants down.
In the evening I reached the Vistula river near a small village with the name of Krakow. I granted my horse a bit of rest, it drank so fast, I feard it would explode. Soon after, I pressed on, northwards. The camp should be just past the village. And there in the distance, I saw the fires. Almost 700 warriors of the united tribes of Golensizi. I moved past the guards, who thanks to the Gods did recognize me pretty fast. I jumped of my horse and sprinted into the main tent. Right into a war meeting. Everyone was watching at me, surprised, as I cought my breath.

"Maslaw", Milzas said, "what are you doing here?" He looked confused. I stumpled, and took a seat. "Do not attack to the north... it is a trap! They will fall into your flanks!" Jacek waived his arms and laughed. He probably didn't understand the situation. "Look who is late to the party, always Maslaw. Don't worry, we got it all under control. We got the news yesterday evening. We know what is going on." I was shocked, confused. "You know already? How...?" Milzas was calm, serene really. "We cought a guy spying on our camp. One of Jaceks men treated him... harshly. He told us everything. I know everything. That rotten pig Siernowit of the Sacz tribes will fall into our back, as soon as I look northwards. But I got a surprise for him. I managed to slip a rider through to my wife. She will come from the east with 1000 warriors, and we will meet right here..." He pointed to the map and talked on about his plan. Jacek noded, they were sure about this. I couldn't speak. My face turned pale like death it self. This couldn't be, the gods had forsaken us. Finally Milzas looked into my eyes. "Is there something wrong with you, Maslaw?"

I stood up, gathered my composure, and answered: "It is not the tribes of Sacz I came to warn you about... The Silesian tribes gather there men and will attack us. 2000 Warriors, from the West..." It hit Milzas like an hammer hitting the anvil, as he fell down into his seat....

Silesia_war.jpg

Movement_war_1.jpg

- Maslaw of Zebrydowice, Spymaster

-------------------

The bear-furs that functioned as the tents doorways opened and a cold breeze got in. A tall man, woth broad shoulders stepped in. Beaten was he, but not broken. He stood firm and proud in the middle of the tent, looking at all of us. I had a bad feeling about this whole idea of peace talks. If there is one thing, Milzas hated the most, it was pride.

"Sit down, and let's have a talk from warrior to warrior. You fought well today, and your brothers and sister will fight on the fields of battle in the otherlife. Let us talk and resolve this peacefully now, so our tribes can live together as brothers from this point on."

I thought he nailed it, the tone was perfect. The words, mine, of course. Marcek of the Sieradz tribe looked unimpressed though. He was not the type for words. I warned Milzas about this, he wouldn't listen.

"I am not here to talk, or sit, or eat or drink you rotten food that you give me. I am here to take a last long look into the face of the dead man who claims to be a "High Chieftain". What a whiny little bitch he is, just look at you. Hiding behind the skirts of your wife, is she giving you orders now, boy? Is it she who ordered the attack on me? What kind of man is it who wanders of, killing my people, while his brethren are dying at the hands of the Sacz and Silesian tribes?" Marcek spat out right in front of Milzas. "I may be gone to the otherlife soon, but you will soon follow, boy. You and your bitch wife, all your brothers, and all your sisters ans all you little shits in this tent, I will personally greet you, my axe in hand once you join me, and I will kill you more times over, than any of you can count. And if I get you...." He rambled on. You could see that Milzas, and especially Dobravka got tired and enraged of this. A short look to Jacek ended all of this. One swing with his great Hammer, and Marceks head got turned into stew. The war was over... this war!

War_Won_Sieradz.jpg

Later in the evening, I got summoned to the Chief's tent again. I had an idea why, but I wasn't sure. When I came in there, only the Chief and his wife were present, no other member of the council I was confused, not even a guard was visible. Milzas greeted me.
"Come in, friend. We need to talk about some things. Mead?" I noded. The Chief gave me to drink, and I sat down. We drank to Perun and calmed down a bit. It was silent in the tent, but the sound of a warriors camp from outside was thorough. Finally, Milzas took the word. "I will make it quick, Odon: my wife is pregnant. The diviner confirmed that my seed is growing inside her." I noded, and smiled lightly. "That is good news, my Chieftain. Perun is smiling on your binding!" He noded and smiled lightly as well. But the general feel was very damp. The situation of our tribes was too dire. "But that is not all.... I need your help Odon. I am a good talker, but I am not the diplomat you are. You know what to say and when, you got this talent. I will need this talent to solve this situation... My tribe, my brothers They are dying. Almost 4000 warriors of many tribes ravaging through my villages. I need, no I have to save them! Please, Odon, is there something we can do?"

I thought about this a lot, and we from the council actually brought it to Milzas once before what he had to do. He wouldn't His ambitions were more important. He saw it when he prayed, he said, he was the one to unite all the tribes. But the reality, was far from that. I looked him in the eyes, deeply. I just looked, didn't say a word. He noded, and understood. "If it is the only way to save my people, I will do it. Send a rider, I will pledge my allegiance to the Silesian tribes... you know my conditions!" I was relieved and repeated the conditions I personally negotiated with Witosz of the Slezanie: "He will put you under his protection against the Sacz, and matters of our tribes will stay our matters. All you do is pledge to aid him in war, and follow his commands in battle." Milzas head sunk down as I repeated the conditions. But in th end he noded....

War_Lost_Silesia.jpg

-------------------

The next couple of pages are not quite readable, but from what we reconstructed, all sides were brought back to peace. A year later, we read something about a war between the Silesian tribes and the Polan tribes from the north. Milzas and his tribes did not participate, and the Silesian tribes got beaten. The Polans in person of High Chief Dobieslaw demanded a similar oath from Milzas as the Silesians did, and he granted it. We continue with some more first hand text!

- "Father" Mihal of Krakow

-------------------

It was good that the year started of on a high note, and thank the gods for that. Milzas was quite depressed taht he had to end his ambitions, for now. To be quite honest, I suspected that in the back of his mind, he was planning some kind ofreturn to his old ways. Many people don't see it in him, but he can be quite cunning. But this was not the day, he was in joy about the birth of his sons. Twin-Sons, both very healthy. Praise be to the gods. I took a hard look at them. Prendota was the first born son. His looks came after his mother, and some might say the gods shall be thanked for that as well. He looked strong, screaming and hiting the woman whom pulled him out of her mother. He was choosen the Heir by the council, to become the High Chieftain of the Kievan Tribes, as well as the Chief of the Cieszyn tribes.

Prendota.jpg

The second born son, Wojciech reminded me more of Milzas. He was also a screamer, not quite as strong, but taller. He had broad shoulders, and might become a strong warrior when he grew up. He had a smile, that would melt the heart of the coldest, cruel man. He was choosen to become the Chief of the Krakowian, Sieradzian and Tulan tribes, after his parents fought in the otherlife.

Wojciech.jpg

Sadly, it was not all smiles at these days. A couple of weeks after the birthfest took place, we summoned the elders. News from our overlords, the tribes of the Polans. It seemed fate that I was the one, bringing the ill-fated news to our Chief. I am always very grateful to the gods, that Milzas is not the wrothful kind of type. At least everyone sat down and got mead before I had to take the word.

"My Chief", I said, "It brings me great grief and pain to bring bad news these days. Sadly, the Gods are playing tricks with me, as I am always the Bad-News-Bearer. I got word from Dobieslaw of the Polans Tribes in the North. He calls in on your oath that you swore him before the Shrine of Veles: The dastardly Tribes of Sacz have crossed the Vistula in the north, and march on the Polans. Dobieslaw commands us to gather our warriors, and meet him near the Vistula for a counter attack. We have to gather within the fortnight, here." I pointed in the general direction on the map, it was enough. I was to let the Warriors figure out where to strike exactly. Milzas mood turned, war again, and in the defense of other tribes. I could see his inner turmoils.

"Tell me, elders of the tribes, if I follow this order, and gather my warriors for this Dobieslaw, who will defend my lands against the Sacz?" It actually made sense, if we move out north, we would leave our tribes, our wives and children without protection. As always, Odon found the right words: "Chief, it is my duty to remind you, that you swore an oath, right in front of the shrine to Veles, the wife of Perun. The gods hear and see everything, this are your words. We are obliged to follow the orders of Dobieslaw, to trust him that he knows what is best for his and our tribes. Remember, he swore an oath to protect our tribes as well. The Gods will judge him if he breaks his oath, as well as they will judge you if you break your oath!" Milzas noded. "You are right, elders, I thank you for your honest advice. Jacek, gather 400 Warriors, and lead them north. We will fight for the Polans."

Call to War.jpg

-------------------

What a dreadful year. Sure, we had some good times, but most of the times was pretty hard in the villages. Our warriors were gone, almost the entire year. The horror of prolonged warfare hurt theire moral. Many came back mutilated, broken. The war was a stalemate for most of the year, but then in the end, the tide tuend, unfortunately against us. Jacek told me when they returned last week. The war was lost, a crucial battle near the vistula, two armies, similar in size. We choose the battlefield, and pressed forward to attack. But a rain shower in the morning made us vulnerable to the archers of the Sacz. The count was horrible, our army crushed. The remnants made it back home, but it was not even half of the men who left. Dobieslaw gathered some more men, but he is outnumbered.

Battle_Defeat.jpg

Milzas was worried. The Sacz tribes were still upset about out diplomatic maneuver, where we got under the protection of the Silesian Tribes. He feared they would strike vengeance against us, put us to the block. I feared for my life as well. A few nights ago though, the Gods spoke to me, while I was asleep. I woke up, and knew what I had to do. They choose me, to help my Chief and my tribe to survive this crisis! I rode out in the morning, and came back just in time. Milzas was about t call a war meeting. Usually I am not part of those, but I asked to join, and though irritated, my wish got granted. I smiled as I approached the table.

"Chief and fellow elders. Today, the Gods smile at us. We been through hardship and terror, and fear for our lives and those we love. But through faith in the wisdom of our gods, I found the solution for our problems. I rode out a couple of days back, to the south. I let myself be guided through the gods wisdom. There I found a village, many miles from here, in a valley in the mountains. I greeted the Chief there, talked and drank and eaten with them. I spoke of you, my Chief, the fearless warrior, who united the tribes. I spoke to them about your cunning ways, and your struggle against your enemies. They were inspired and touched by my words. They spoke highly of you, as a faithfull and strong man. And they agreed to fight for you. In the morrow, 300 warriors from the south will arrive here, to fight for you, my Chief!"

Warriors.jpg

The tide turned that night, and my Chief found back his warrior ways. He marched north with his warriors and met up with Dobieslaw. They engaged the Sacz army again, again dictating the terms of battle. And this time, the warriors from the south broke through theire Vanguard, creating chaos in the enemy army. We beat them, and are now on the path of victory....

Battle_Won.jpg

- Boguchwal of Chrzanow, Steward

~~ Chapter 2: Nine years of war~~​

"I hated war camps. Prolonged war always meant the smell of dried blood, decay and dead bodies. Some men, like Milzas, relished these times, I didn't. That is probably why I was just a servant, while others lead. But to be honest, I liked it this way. The morning was warm for this time of the year. The gods showed theire favour for the bloos that was spilled yesterday. We chased the army of the Saczs tribes for month now, and finally we could them, off guard. It was a slaughterhouse. I can still hear the screams.... Milzas ordered festivities for today, and why not? He just received notice that his wife was pregnant again. And the war, was surely won... or is it?
I entered the tent of the Chief, he was just getting up, grabing his horn, he drank a lot these days...

"Warchief!" I saluted him, "a fine battle it was!". He noded and laughed, knewing that I am not the type for battle. "I am afraid thogh, that I will have to spoil the generally good mood with some bad news.... as usual." I took a seat and grabed a horn myself. Drinking helps... with a lot of things. "I received some information from my associates in Kiev. You remember that you asked me to keep a close eye on the tribes of your wife, in case something is brewing up there. As a matter of fact, we.... uncovered some disturbing things." I could see that Milzas has become uneasy with my words. "What is it Maslaw? Is there a revolt in the makings? I must protect the rule of my wife!" He grwon quite attached to his wife in the last cuple of years, which made the following words even more harder to speak: "No, Chief, allthogh your wife has something to do with this. My sources tell me, that your wife is.... fond of certain men in her ranks. There are people who question the legitimacy of the upcoming child..." I could see the rage in his face, but I needed to tell him the whole story. "... but that is not all, there is also talks that she would be better of "freed" from the shackles you put on her. Chief, I suspect they will want to kill you..." It was the first time since I met him, that I saw him rage. It wasn't the last!"

pregnant1.jpg
kill.jpg

----------------------

"The war raged on, for almost 5 years now, and even though we had the advantage in men and tactics, we couldn't put the enemy down. Everytime we thoght them beaten, they gathered new hope, or attacked where we didn't expect them to be. It was a dirty affair, even for a guy like me who has seen a lot of battle. Early in the year, a daughter was born to our Chief. The elders were informed about the proposed adultery of the Chiefs wife, but even though Maslaw tried, he couldn't find any evidence. Milzas did accept his daughter as his, and called her Kazimiera. She looked like her mother, beautiful and strong.

daughter.jpg

The Chief was unhappy about the whole situation with his wife. But he needed to focus on winning this war first, for the sake of his tribe. He decided to take more interest in his twin sons though. He ordered me to bring them into the war camp. Two boys of six, still fragile and more interested in playing then education or war. I told him my doubts that this was a wise move, but he reminded me that we were part of fights and wars when we were younger. Milzas took it on himself to educate his sons, so they would become strong Chiefs of theire own, once they grew up. They would turn out rather different though.

One day, Milzas called me to him, he was praying near a totem to Veles as I reched him. I waited and did not disturb his prayers. "Silence, Jacek, the silence of the gods.... they do not answer me anymore." I was never the type for the gods, relying on my hammer and shield more, so I kept silent. Milzas stood up. "We need to talk about this war, and an idea I had. The war is going nowhere, we ar ein a stalemate, again. 5 years now, my tribe is getting tired. I realized what the problem is though. To push our advantage that we have, we need more men. Men who are trained better. We rely to much on warriors instinct. Many men who fall because they are inexpreienced could become valuable to our effort later, if they would have received some... preparation, bofr they got thrown into combat." I noded, that sounded good, but it will be hadr to train men of the tribes. They are a proud bunch, feeling like thy do not need training. But if someone could pull it off, it was Milzas. "I will build a great warriors hall, where the older warriors, who can't march with us anymore, can give theire wisdom to the young. This will help us, to finally end this war."

War Camp.jpg

- Jacek of Oswiecim, Marshall

----------------------

The war was still raging on, deeper into the years, now 6 years... and counting. While Milzas was fighting and killing and leading men, I was in charge of looking over his children. He trusted me with that, and I was not the one to let him down. I noticed really soon that his children couldn't be more different. I feared what would happen should Milzas, the gods may protect him, die. The tribes would be split, and I feared for the outcome if these two won't like each other much. Prendota, the choosen heir of the Elders, since he is the older one, was quite arbitrary in his ways. Wojchiech on the other hand was a nice and honest boy. He always tried to get everyone his fare share, was just and humble like his father. I liked him better of the two, allthough I tried not to show it. While I was thinking about that, news reached me, from our home back in Cieszyn. Dobrava, the wife of my Chief was pregnant again. Nothing suggests that our Chief was not the father, but we suspected it. Milzas wasn't sure if he should be happy or not, he loved his children, but his hatred for his wife grew every day.

We also got news from our spies near the tribe of the Saczs, At the last festivities for the winter solstice, a fight broke out. Many trib members were unhappy that this war took so long. It was promised that it would be a short war. After the dust settled, the Warchief of the Saczs was dead. After some turmoil, they voted in a new Chief from amongst, and he was known to be quite strong, fearsome and capable. In a matter of weeks he raised new armies, and our side seemed to be on the losing side, again....

pregnant2.jpg
new leader.jpg

----------------------

The end of last year another son was born to Milzas. He called him Sulistryj, to honor the gods. We all were worried, it was a sickly looking child. Many diviners were sure that it was cursed by the gods and will dies rather soon. Milzas prayed that noght that he might survive. It was a wonder, and even surprised many of the diviners, that Sulistryj was still alive a year after his birth.

The war went on and on, neither side finding an advantage. It grinded itself to a hold. I wasn't the only one getting sick of the constant warfare. Many of us wanted to see our wifes, embracing theire love again, see our children. It was during this kind of mood, when finally Dobieslaw of the Polans, and Piskla of the Radom tribes, who were now in charge of the federation across the Vistula river, met for peace talks. It seemed that none of the two were the stronger. 9 years have past, and noone got closer to victory. All that was left, was to end the hostilities, and move back to farm the fields and recover. Both sides made it clear though, that they will not renounce theire ambitions, to rule over all the tribes.

End of war.jpg

Both sides organized a festivities, to honor the gods who gave the wisdom for peace. But Milzas wasn't there. Jacek informed me, that the Chief wanted to see me in his tent. I reached there, and only the fireplace lid the tent alight. You could here the screaming at the fest, but the mood inside this tent was cold as the winter. Milzas looked me in the eyes. "My wife is pregnant again Maslaw." I knew what this meant. The chief been on the current campaign for the last 4 month. It wasn't his child, and even Dobrava couldn't hide this from the world anymore. Even though he was furious inside, which I saw clearly, he remained his composure to the outside. "As I told you Chief, she took a common tribesman to her side. It is someone out of here tribe, that she grew fond of. His name is Dobrynia." Milzas took a couple of minutes of silence. He was thinking, thinking real hard, I could tell. In the end, he looked down and said, silently, almost not hearable: "He has to die...." I noded and wanted to go to arrange a couple of things. He grabed me by the arm, and looked back up. I saw the rage in his eyes as the horror grabed me "And kill my wife too....."

pregnant3.jpg

----------------------

The YouTube video corresponding to this will be up at my channel in about 2 hours!
Video HERE

Last edited: