• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

VeraVonGunner

Master of Merch
Paradox Staff
2 Badges
Mar 14, 2014
merch.paradoxplaza.com
  • Paradox Order
  • IPO Investor
The Father of Europe leads the youngest expansion to Paradox Development Studio’s best-selling grand strategy game, Crusader Kings II. Charlemagne, the newest expansion to Crusader Kings II, is available now worldwide for Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs. This major expansion adds new story events, another hundred years of gameplay and long requested game features to the widely popular grand strategy game of dynastic politics and family rivalry.

[video=youtube;3C9ptrtB6L8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9ptrtB6L8&list=UU1JOnWZrVWKzX3UMdpnvuMg[/video]

Charlemagne can be purchased from digital distributors everywhere for $14.99. New downloadable content (DLC) for Crusader Kings II is also available today, including the Dynasty Shields: Charlemagne collection, new portrait packs, and an e-book version of the medieval epic “Song of Roland.” Full details and purchase location can be found now at www.paradoxplaza.com/crusader-kings-ii-charlemagne.

As usual, the expansion will be accompanied by a host of free changes to the core Crusader Kings II experience, available in a major update that can be downloaded today. This free content includes a major overhaul to the nomadic tribes of Europe – now they are even more distinct from their neighbors hiding behind castle walls.

"Charlemagne" will introduce Crusader Kings II players to the man who became the “Father of Europe,” uniting much of the continent for the first time since the since the fall of Rome and founding the Holy Roman Empire. Including the ability to start a dynasty as far back as 769 AD, the expansion will include a series of story events surrounding the rise of Charlemagne. The expansion also features game options to allow players to chart their own places in history – such as a new in-game “Chronicle” that highlights a dynasty’s conquests, marriages, and labors for the faith.

Crusader Kings II is currently at 75% off on most digital outlets! To learn more about Crusader Kings II, visit www.crusaderkings.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Expansion is great with the new mecanics, but the first thing I checked was the french localization, and even with a Dev answer (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?764470-2.1.1-Missing-French-localization&highlight=), nothing has been done since. The RoI text are still missing.

An exemple here, the Zunist religion description is cut, i can't see the effect ingame of the religion, I wonder if all the flavour of Charlemagne events has the same treatment (I'm at work, will check later)

Hope it will be resolve one day (like, before CK3 ^^).

"Now with a forum icon"..... Holy... Damn I am not interested with this DLC but since the forum icon is in.....

There are forum icons for all the CK2 expansions now, not just Charlemagne; is good :D

Reactions:
Given that he didn't create the title of emperor but inherited it by virtue of being descended from Emperor Charlemagne and becoming king of Italy, he has no room to complain.

I prefer the view that places the HRE as the sucessor state to East and Middle Francia, thus Otto being it's first emperor. There is a continuity of the State until its demise by Napoleon, unlike Charlemagne's realm which was dissolved shortly after his death.

What now Charlesmagne' realm did not dissolve after his death. It was ruled by his son then later it was divided up by his grandchildren who at least pretended to give lip service to the emperor and didn't truly end until the death of Charles the fat the last to hold the whole empire in his own name Afterward words the imperial title passed one of his grandchildren who was king of Italy who became first of a series of Italian emperors which is how Otto got the title in the first place.

After the death of the last Italian emperor there was an interregnum as claimants fought over the Imperial title that's when Otto who was also a great grandson of a previous Emperor married the widowed Queen of Italy and eliminated the other claimants and was thus crowned emperor the latest in a line going back to Charlemagne and which would continue until the empire and title was dissolved to keep it out of that upstart peasant Napoleon's hands.

The Big Grey Blob is now the Big White Blob

Also, is it just me or have they improved the previously awful Mediterranean portraits? Some look weirdly Asian to me for some reason but overall the look much improved. Am I going crazy? It also looks like they made changes to the Russian portraits.

Last edited:
Whilst I haven't played the latest expansion yet, I'm liking the direction Paradox is going with these.

Perhaps future releases will revisit the period of Charles Martel, Emperor Heraclius & the ascendancy of the Caliphate? The 'original crusades' so to speak?

That's why I bought it myself, too!
Only reason...

Thank you paradox for giving me more scenarios to play out and another big chunk of history to play through! Despite people saying it was too big a task I knew you could do it! :D

Thanks! Buying now! Also concerns seemed to be answered on the anti blobbing measures a bit, so thanks there too!

@Paradox Interactive

Crusader Kings 2 is the best grand strategy game ever made.

I love history and I can't resist not to play this game almost every day.

Please make more expansions to deepen gameplay even more! -e.g deeper politics.

Cheers.