Is HOI IV playable on a tablet?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is nothing we have tried... But if your tablet meets the system requirements and you can connect a mouse ( game ux is not developed with touch in mind ) it is at least theoretically possible.

I'm torn on the strategy game on tablet concept. On the surface, it sounds cool. But practically, I'm not sure.

If I'm going to play a game, that I need to really dig my heels into, I'm not sure I want to "experience" that laying on my couch with a 10" screen, mouse or not. Strategy titles on tablets need to beer and pretzels games at most. Meaty strategy games need to be on a big screen, preferably windowed with multi screens for easy access to reference material. I want to be in my office, with my headphones on and the removed - Had a dad door shut and locked to keep the kids, wife and dog OUT. If ever I'm found lying on my couch, I'm interrupted every 5 minutes for every kind of honey-do or tech support task imaginable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is nothing we have tried... But if your tablet meets the system requirements and you can connect a mouse ( game ux is not developed with touch in mind ) it is at least theoretically possible.
Could you point me to the link for the system requirements then please?

I currently play HOI3 on my laptop with a mouse and its fine - I don't have room/space for a desktop but I'm more than happy with my laptop. But, I also have a tablet and was thinking of selling the tablet and the laptop and use a Surface Pro 3 i5 to replace both and use my 21" TV as the monitor.

Also its a good excuse for a new toy!

I think true grand strategy games might not be making it to tablets any time soon. Tactical wargames like the current wave of Panzer General type games will certainly be there.

Could you point me to the link for the system requirements then please?
No i cannot, system requirements have not been set yet and i do not dare to speculate about it at this moment.

i7 is a good bet cpu wise. But I would guess the graphics requirements is what's gonna give you problems. Surface Pro only comes with intel HD graphics, which is usually too weak for newer games. Just guessing though...

i7 it is then :) Best not to take any chances!
“Hope for the best, plan for the worst.”. just remember that raw CPU is not all nowadays.

i7 is a good bet cpu wise. But I would guess the graphics requirements is what's gonna give you problems. Surface Pro only comes with intel HD graphics, which is usually too weak for newer games. Just guessing though...
So true, but never less both drivers and hardware has been significant better lately.

Lately im playin Heroes of might and magic II and III (I know,its not the same) on my tablet and its awesome. I want touch support on the future too!
Touch is very powerful when it comes to gaming, but it does not suffice to just have support. The game must be designed around the touch to truly make it awesome, and that step is something else.

Personally i have been playing around in my head with just having a tablet as a partial controller for different games and i can imagine so much features that could do so nicely on a off screen touch device!

Touch is very powerful when it comes to gaming, but it does not suffice to just have support. The game must be designed around the touch to truly make it awesome, and that step is something else.

Personally i have been playing around in my head with just having a tablet as a partial controller for different games and i can imagine so much features that could do so nicely on a off screen touch device!

Have you heard of Spaceship Artemis?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/

Using a tablet (or smartphone) as an offscreen controller taken to bonkers heights (the captain gets the main viewscreen - the rest of the crew just get the appropriate control panel)

Have you heard of Spaceship Artemis?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/

Using a tablet (or smartphone) as an offscreen controller taken to bonkers heights (the captain gets the main viewscreen - the rest of the crew just get the appropriate control panel)

That is some nerdgasm right there. Touch is somewhat nice, but unless it is a standard (it might get there in 5-10 years), i don't see the viability. Especially for a company that deals with a niche market like Paradox.

Ugh. Intel HD graphics is just not worth it. Believe me, get a device with a dedicated graphics card and you won't be faced with a brick wall down the line. In my experience, mainstream products are not intended for any meaningful gaming whatsoever - unless you consider smart phone games enjoyable (shudders). I'm not saying you need to buy the brand-spankingly newest machine on the market. A solid i7 or i5 with a respectable amount of dedicated video memory will probably be more than capable; this is Paradox after all.

I have an i7 Surface Pro 3 and use it to play a lot of my wargames. Johh Tillers Panzer Campaigns mostly. I did put EU4 and HOI3 on it, and they run, but I haven't played any length of time on it. The pen works well as a mouse for most things....and I can always use a Bluetooth mouse if I have to.

Reactions:
Liquid Sky, perhaps you could run a test on that. Try playing from the Barbarossa save point and run it at speed 3 or 4. I would be shocked - pleasantly so - if the machine doesn't grind to a halt (and start smoking). If it can handle that, HOI4 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Even HoI IV won't be that "streamlined" ;)

Tablet's just a platform - as long as the res was big enough to facilitate touch controls, there's no reason why a (sufficiently powerful) tablet couldn't deliver full-fat HoI4 (or EU4, or CK2) gameplay. I really dislike gaming with touchscreens, so wouldn't go for it myself, but as far as I could tell, the only reason not to make HoI4 playable on capable Windows tablets running an OS that HoI4 is already compatible with (don't forget the Windows 10 approach - one OS, a bajillion pieces of hardware - I'm not saying it's good, but that's what's coming next) is parochialism. Let people that like to play on tablets play on tablets, if it's easy enough to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.