Just by the way: A way to support the DH-DevTeam?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stahl-Opa

Marshall & Grossadmiral of Helvetia
72 Badges
Jun 16, 2011
www.vmods.org
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Gettysburg
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
I had a thought just btw.

How are our possibilities to Support the DH-Dev Team? Can we donate anywhere? Something else?

'Cause I think it's a great Thing that they still try to improve DH, no matter if it's a *not-AAA-"old"-game* or not. :)

greez
StahlOpa

Maybe you could buy another 5 copies?

We aren't paid to work on DH, buying 5 copies won't help.
Learning to mod or research and getting good at it and then helping contribute is more helpful for us.

Paradox, presumably. They do publish the game.

Yeah, that`s the first thing that crossed my mind.
But that seems retarded as hell to me.
I mean the DH team is developing this game, investing their time and work in it.
The game is being sold (probably in tiny numbers and for a pittance, but still, sold).
Paradox takes ALL the money (as little as that may be). The guys who put in work and time get zilch.
Am I missing something?

I don't speak for the team, but for myself (along with the rest of this post), I work on the game because I love the game and I want to play a better game. I don't care about financial incentive too much as I already have a day job in programming which pays well. Paradox has been shifting their core game to a different vision than what many in the team and the community who play HoI2 enjoy, which varies from person to person. I didn't want to move over to HoI3, and I'm generally not too fond of the more recent paradox games that have been published.

Like I said, learning to mod or research and getting good at it and then helping contribute is more helpful for us. There was an initiative earlier to try and start a community improvement mod like system where we could push WIP features and such, but that didn't really work out, so we've now given up on the idea. (Even if we do occasionally get contributions, which isn't that frequent and usually only by a small group of players, we usually can only use a even smaller portion without considerable time invested looking over it or modifying it to meet quality standards. Research assistance is ALWAYS useful though, but converting research->ingame data takes time as well, and getting more people who know how to do that conversion would be useful. It took me countless weeks of free time to convert research already provided to me->in game content for Chinese ministers) (Also before someone asks about training, our team is very very tiny right now, we don't really have the resources to train anyone either, so you'd really have to learn by doing or looking at existing code, sorry).

Other than that, I dunno...I'd like to see less occurrences of questions on forums by people who didn't read the modding documentation or pinned posts, but that's inevitable on forums because people on the internet never read FAQ's or stickies. I'd also like to see less complaints directed toward the team (or other modders) about us not working hard enough, but that's a given on the internet as well because some gamers are believe they are entitled or whatnot (and to be honest, I don't like the two year delay between 1.03 and 1.04 either). It's not a great motivator to work on the game if I come home after working 12 hours and see that stuff.Edit: I welcome complaints about patch release speed now. Please complain away, I can't support the slowness anymore.

On money, (to the best of my knowledge) it's possible that one of the members on our team gets a small amount of money for working on the engine, but I can't recall if he does, and it's insignificant and not really affected by sales. Buying 5 copies of the game won't really help us since none of us depend on DH for our lives and most of it goes toward the license for the engine from Paradox. Not to say that you should pirate the game, but just that one copy is fine. Anyway, I got my current job in part due to working on DH because one of the persons interviewing me played the game, so it's not too bad. :)

Last edited:
Paradox, presumably. They do publish the game.
Paradox takes ALL the money (as little as that may be). The guys who put in work and time get zilch.
No, not at all. :)
Unfortunately, since we don't like to talk about this, sometimes wrong assumptions like this are made and they're not fair (to Paradox in this case).
Let me just say, the lead developer of the DH engine has a contract with Paradox and he is paid, while the other members of team (like me or Limith) are volunteers.

Anyway, what Limith said about how to support the team is true. Rather than buying 5 more copies yourself, it would be better if you could convince a friend of yours to buy 1 copy and join our community. :)

No, not at all. :)
Unfortunately, since we don't like to talk about this, sometimes wrong assumptions like this are made and they're not fair (to Paradox in this case).
Let me just say, the lead developer of the DH engine has a contract with Paradox and he is paid, while the other members of team (like me or Limith) are volunteers.

Anyway, what Limith said about how to support the team is true. Rather than buying 5 more copies yourself, it would be better if you could convince a friend of yours to buy 1 copy and join our community. :)
AC says it better than I do. :)

I have a personal mod that balances the naval bombers and sea transport. Are you guys interested?

I bought DH twice. First at Gamersgate, once on Steam. I do not know how much money the devs got from my steam sale - a pittance, quite likely, as I paid 10 MYR for it. For sure though if I see the names of any of the guys who made DH on another product, I'll buy it.

AC says it better than I do. :)
It is very sad for me to see experience moderators like Limith to retire.
And it's really sad that our community is getting smaller as the time is passing...
Really we must doing something, because soon the DH will be a ghost game! And it's not funny to modding only for yourself.
We need young people to support the game, personally I am 34 years old, I am married and I am waiting the birth of my second child,
until when I deal with modding...??? my 1,5 years old son gives punches to my keyboard at this time...:D

Last edited:
It is very sad for me to see experience moderators like Limith to retire.
And it's really sad that our community is getting smaller as the time is passing...
Really we must doing something, because soon the DH will be a ghost game! And it's not funny to modding only for yourself.
We need young people to support the game, personally I am 34 years old, I am married and I am waiting the birth of my second child,
until when I deal with modding...??? my 1,5 years old son gives punches to my keyboard at this time...:D
I'm taking a (long) break from modding to catch up on other activities. I may return over the holidays due to a code freeze at work starting the end of November. Or I may not and decide to play around with Unity and C# to make a game I've always wanted to make since my childhood (completely different genre). It depends on if I get motivated again to mod.

I'm taking a (long) break from modding to catch up on other activities. I may return over the holidays due to a code freeze at work starting the end of November. Or I may not and decide to play around with Unity and C# to make a game I've always wanted to make since my childhood (completely different genre). It depends on if I get motivated again to mod.

Thanks for everything you've done for DH!