• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Midden

Captain
25 Badges
Sep 8, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Just a couple of questions:

Air Aces sound fun.

1) Are there going to be Tank and Submarine aces too? They would add fun and immersion flavour, so I hope they are on the list :p

2) Can you assign multiple aces to a Air task group (what ever they are called now), I.e basically can you have say a JV 44 group full of aces?

Cheers over and out.

Yes but, it's quite cool to have:
- a Dick O Kain, / Gunther Prien earned when your subs have sunk stuff ( to assign to your submarine) ... with a little combat bonus.
- a Michael Wittman - earned when you've killed X tanks (to assign to a Armoured Division) ... with a little combat bonus.
- a Vassili Zaitsev - assigned to a Division. .... with a little combat bonus.

If they have thought of this for Air Aces .... carry on and add the other heroes.

I think this fluffy stuff adds fun and immersion. These things were a big deal at the time ... part of the propaganda fest to make heroes.

It's not necessary ..... just adding the decorative icing that could make the game go beyond awesome.

Last edited:
panzer corps do it well. it has both exp and aces. aces buff the stats very slightly. cool feature

well if game generate some war heros.....why not ? sounds very nice. Just how it treat some minor nations which have "unknown heroes" - can anyone write polish, canadians, australians..etc heroes ? well except figter aces ?
will they get random names?

that would be a nice idea to replace assigning officers to divisions like in hoi3 to have aces, war heroes etc.

I had always thought taking down 5 enemy planes was considered amazing, then I come to find out Erich "Bubi" Hartmann of the Luftwaffe has 352 enemy plane kills. Or having Finnish snipers destroy entire russian armies moral with sniper Simo Häyhä with 505 confirmed sniper kills

then I come to find out Erich "Bubi" Hartmann of the Luftwaffe has 352 enemy plane kills.
Possible, but there are some doubts of his victories - he claims to have shot down enemy planes, which were not present at his section of the front at the alleged time, according to other side reports.
Then again, with ~1500 combat flights, he has around the same ratio as top soviet aces, with 62 kills and 330 combat flights. 5 flights per kill on average, for both sides.
Most aerial kills happen, when the victim does not even suspect that he is in the cross hairs.

In all honesty "aces" were not decisive for a front-wide war in the first place - especially if one realizes both sides had them - and most really had to accumulate their kills over a very long time period to make their presence really noticeable.

I had always thought taking down 5 enemy planes was considered amazing, then I come to find out Erich "Bubi" Hartmann of the Luftwaffe has 352 enemy plane kills. Or having Finnish snipers destroy entire russian armies moral with sniper Simo Häyhä with 505 confirmed sniper kills

5 kills was the generally accepted rule during WWI (not sure if that applied to both sides or not). In WWII obviously that rule became outdated. :)

Possible, but there are some doubts of his victories - he claims to have shot down enemy planes, which were not present at his section of the front at the alleged time, according to other side reports.
Then again, with ~1500 combat flights, he has around the same ratio as top soviet aces, with 62 kills and 330 combat flights. 5 flights per kill on average, for both sides.
Most aerial kills happen, when the victim does not even suspect that he is in the cross hairs.

reason why germans have so big scores is simple - they used thier pilots on front until war ended or (in much more cases) they were killed/capured. While it have positive short time effects when crank pilots masacred rokie pilots (majority of new pilots didnt surived up to 5th flight), in long time it hurted as there was no one with combat experinces to train new pilots and even top aces were mortal.
allied used totaly different stategy - after certaina mount of combat flights pilots were send to rear to train new pilots and pass thier exps, so they did have much bigger survive chance. And tehy shoudl re-enlist for anotzehr tour of duty. In long term it very payed of.

No, just no. "aces" were toys for propaganda with highly inflated legends and kill count. IIRC, the sum of claims for the german aces with 100+ "confirmed" victories adds up the bulk of the allied combat air losses. One must wonder what the rest of Luftwaffe and all the AA were doing.

In any case, with combat on a divisional scale, individual aces are far too insignificant to make a difference to stats

Now, THAT makes sense (propaganda).

In any case, with combat on a divisional scale, individual aces are far too insignificant to make a difference to stats

I agree, but like I said above, going along with the "propaganda" theme--morale would probably be the main impact (or organization regain?) (Do we even know if such stats will still exist in HOI4? :p )

Now, THAT makes sense (propaganda).

I agree, but like I said above, going along with the "propaganda" theme--morale would probably be the main impact (or organization regain?) (Do we even know if such stats will still exist in HOI4? :p )

But how do we model this? Random events? That would be boring. And, since all sides had aces, the whole thing would cancel itself out.

5 kills was the generally accepted rule during WWI (not sure if that applied to both sides or not). In WWII obviously that rule became outdated. :)

The rule wasn't changed, 5 kills was still the "ace" standard.

It was just a longer war with much more fighting; and to be blunt there was way more kill inflation since neither side was telling the other how they "scored" anymore in favor of just promoting their own supposed-aces.