• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am playing a game as germany right now. I am wondering do you have to declare war on Czechoslovakia in order to capture the rest of their country. I assume probably so?

no, just wait for the event chain to play itself out.

lol, thanks. I invaded and found myself at war with everyone. I will restart that lol, I can still win though I think but it will be messy. No sooner have I defeated czechosolvakia with a nice pinzer movement then the poles invade. It will take me 3 months to beat them but I will have it done before the end of 38. But I hate messy situations. Defending already against British bombers too.

Edit: Checking the events guide for Germany to avoid needless complications.

Last edited:
HPmuZMy.png

Estonia joined the Axis powers and Sweden joined the Allies. To me neither choice made much sense but live and let live.
My Special Forces are moving across Europe and should arrive in time to carry out an invasion, maybe, of Northern Sweden. Or maybe not. Everybody and their Grandmother seems to want to be in this invasion.

The only Allied power to try to help Sweden was the Mexican Navy.

I have decided to let the USSR make the first move. I hope that will allow me to be on the defensive, trigger other European nations to join the Axis, and allow Japan time to take over Asia. Well, part of it anyway.

lol, thanks. I invaded and found myself at war with everyone. I will restart that lol, I can still win though I think but it will be messy. No sooner have I defeated czechosolvakia with a nice pinzer movement then the poles invade. It will take me 3 months to beat them but I will have it done before the end of 38. But I hate messy situations. Defending already against British bombers too.

Edit: Checking the events guide for Germany to avoid needless complications.

The first battle you should fight is the Danzig or War event against Poland.

You get the Rhineland, Austria and Czechoslovakia peacefully through events. And, those events give boosts in coin, manpower, industrial capacity and such that you will find rather helpful once you go after Russia.

One more thing: sometimes they refuse the Munich Agreement, and you end up at war, so it's always best to save before triggering the decision.

Took 29 days for me to defeat poland but right now I am poised to trounce France before the fall of 39. Britain are really strong at bombing my cities. I did make preparations building up air defences and radar but they have found a few places less well defended to bomb. It will be a while before I can deal with it properly. Long term I am basically going to nuke them off the map by 44 or 45.

You have to understand something....following the event chain Germany is handed over 1000 MP that you simply will not get by getting aggressive early. This MP is essential vs the Soviet Union. There is a sense of urgency for many players i know it is difficult but the most important thing is patience. There is no need to rush, in fact rushing hurts you more then it helps (not only with the decisions but by firing up the Allies war machines, especially the US. Often when i try and conquer the world for example (as a Major), i dont even get aggressive until 41-43 and still pretty much get it all or most of it by games end. There is no need to go crazy in 1938 or earlier, at least not as Germany (other nations arent reliant on events/decisions).

I will offer a counterpoint to 21oliver here.

Certainly, waiting has many advantages. Depending on how you manage threat, you can do some really interesting things, like delay the war until 1943 and start the war with a bang.

But there is a dark side to patience, and that dark side is called the Soviet Union. Once the Soviets enact the purge in 1937, they aren't really sitting at peace time laws, either. The longer the game goes on, the stronger the Soviets get, especially once you get past 1942.

This isn't to say that the Soviets eventually become unbeatable, but it does mean that the sweet spot for the war for Germany is usually early 1939. Once First Vienna Award has fired, Germany has more or less gained everything it can peacefully, and her immediate neighbors are getting geared up for war. Delaying the war further doesn't really help.

Striking France and Britain in January of 1939 (literally one day after signing the MR Pact) means you will face less resistance in the Battle of France and invasion of Poland. It will also start the timer on the Their Finest Hour decision earlier; this will ensure that its benefits end sooner rather than later.

And it means that the MR Pact is ticking down as well; you can invade the Soviets sooner if you start the war early. With a swift attack on France and Poland, you could easily be in position to attack the Soviets in spring of 1940. If you refuse the MR Pact, you could even be ready to attack the Soviets in the summer of 1939, and you will catch them with their pants down.

The wildcard is the USA, but German threat is muffled towards the US. Japan is the real driver of US rearmament (unless Germany really gets out of hand with several extra DOWs). And if Germany has annexed or puppeted everyone in continental Europe, she should have the resources to at least repulse any attempt by the US to intervene.

You also do not want to know just how many bombers and submarines Germany can build if her hands aren't tied by a land war with the Soviet Union. A Germany that has crushed the Soviets has the time and resources to strip the Atlantic clean of British convoys (rendering her a useless ally of the US) and/or bombing Britain into irrelevance.

Keep in mind, I'm a certified IC-whore when it comes to playing Germany, and I'm still arguing that there are benefits to getting the war underway ahead of the historical schedule. Since Poland and France are more or less paper tigers, even if you build IC as Germany, you should have the strength to defeat them. Then the extra IC you built stacks with the extra IC you occupy and you start spamming enough armor to crush the Red Army.

RU16aMI.png

The Major Event of the Year!
The Americans have come....but I am not sure they will stay.

Oh, and yeah, Denmark annexed Sweden, my Special Forces are in Africa freeing Ethiopia (the UK kind of just left it wide open) and Saudi Arabia is now a member of the Axis Powers. And it looks like the UK almost had all of Tibet but lost Singapore and much of everything else east of India to Japanese troops and their allies (who are taking Tibet back).

But yeah, the American D-Day is the main event. German and Spanish aircraft are attacking the ships while my tiny fleet gets beaten back with ease. The fighting on the beach will be the deciding factor and right now the German AI has more troops on the spot (and more on the way). They Allies seems to be winning...but very very very slowly (right now the current battle has been on -3 for days). I think it has to do more with air support from the UK then their ground troops. Funny enough, if they are able to break out it might end up being worse for them as the whole invasion force will be outnumbered. On the other hand, I assume there may soon be more invasions along my coast.

We will see.

And still the USSR waits. Like a sleeping bear.

Maybe next turn I will play the USSR...

Any advice (besides restart the game) is welcome. ;)

You need to register your game on the forum here so you can see the AAR section.

I suspect you'll be doing write ups there that are worth reading.

Generally speaking following history is my advice for newer players, veterans know that the game is no match for a good player and many things can be done if your willing to take the game off the rails. One recent game i had the whole world minus South America by mid 1941 before quitting...

Taking Denmark restricts any naval movement between the North & Baltic Seas and is a jump off point into Sweden from Copenhagen, it also offers territory great for attacking the USA. Norway besides offering naval bases (and a potential jump off into the Soviet Union from the North) has strategic resource value.

You need to register your game on the forum here so you can see the AAR section.

I suspect you'll be doing write ups there that are worth reading.

Oh, I can see the AAR section. I read a lot of the AARs and greatly enjoy them. Reading "Tukhachevky's Army" right now.

If only there was a '1984' mod. *sigh*

Striking France and Britain in January of 1939 (literally one day after signing the MR Pact) means you will face less resistance in the Battle of France and invasion of Poland. It will also start the timer on the Their Finest Hour decision earlier; this will ensure that its benefits end sooner rather than later.

Except doesn't the Danzig decision give Germany cores on lot's of Polish provinces? Maybe I'm confusing vanilla with mods but I always wait till I can take the Danzig or War event. I then attack Poland, Denmark and Netherlands. When Poland is done I move forces west and go after Belgium and France always falls in fall of 1939 (even in the hardest of mods).