• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XVIII – The Battle of Denmark, part III

Players: UK, CAN, FRA, SU, GERx2, ITA, JAP

recap: Last youtube clip on the battle of Denmark, including battles of Guldborgsund, a naval skirmish and more HERE!

11.jpg

January 8th, 1940

The US is clearly gearing up for war. The low neutrality means that a fairly low amount of funds and industry need to go for consumer goods. Italy is clearly perceived as a big threat. That is probably not due to their actual threat on the US, which is small, but due to the fact that Il Duce is perceived as a raging lunatic that might have a dangerous influence on the fate of Europe. In the end, it is how Germany is perceived that matter the most. Still, the American leadership seems to think they can sit this one out. But for how long will they think that..?

3.jpg

January 14th, 1940

Although the weather has been improving somewhat, the skillful German tactics makes the Canadian enterprise close to a suicide. The attackers are outsmarted at every turn, using outdated equipment and attacks out of a narrow, wet and freezing cold bridgehead. Luckily, they are making up for some of that with sheer number. Nevertheless, one of the originally four divisions has broken off their attack – the men all used up.

However, the Germans under General Behlendorff , have been fighting nonstop in twelve days, since the 2nd of January, and are beginning to buckle under the pressure. But they have nowhere to go – if not onto ship.

7.jpg

January 19th-25th, 1940

After the victory at Guldborgssund, the Brits renewed their aerial effort to protect Copanhagen. They had obvious problems, however, and fought a losing battle. Several of their bomber squadrons were caught in the air as they were operating over Denmark and it was simply a costly British air war.

The Allied stubbornness delayed the Axis, but could not stop the inevitable. Copenhagen was destroyed piece by piece – the airfields, the infrastructure and the ports. Still, the Danish had quite the supply stored in various places and the Luftwaffe had to target everything that seemed to be a supply dump or supply trucks moving in a convoy.

Authors note: All that supply need to go before we will start target the actual troops.

See youtube clip for the supply-bombing of the destroyed city of Copenhagen, some Japanese intel, Italy’s thoughts on a campaign to retake Sicily and a little bit on the convoy war:

I see that fighting over a frozen rock in the middle of the Baltic sea is progressing as wonderfully as anticipated.

Damn those numbers, remember the brave 11. Infanterie Division :-(

Will those air battles be worth something in the end? Will you be able to destroy some of their wings or are you gambling that their wings will need so much IC for repairs that the UK will not be able to build other units in significant numbers?

How's your decryption tech? That may explain why you can't see as much, but if Italy can see those UK units, perhaps it doesn't matter.

My decryption tech is as good as it get without being vastly ahead of things. So I still find it curious that Japan could see so much more. If Japan had better tech they must have pushed it with severe penelties - which i doubt. So, any suggestion is appreciated.

I see that fighting over a frozen rock in the middle of the Baltic sea is progressing as wonderfully as anticipated.

Slow and grinding, my friend. Slow and grinding.

Damn those numbers, remember the brave 11. Infanterie Division :-(

Will those air battles be worth something in the end? Will you be able to destroy some of their wings or are you gambling that their wings will need so much IC for repairs that the UK will not be able to build other units in significant numbers?

They sure are heroes. I am not so interested in the air battles. Copenhagen is everything. Closing the Baltic is key. The cost for repairs is probably similar on both sides of the conflict. I must have missed what happened to the 11th Infantry Division. A rapid google gives me mostly German hits and low-info English hits. Plz inform ;)

Most Allies players seldom give any interest to Denmark, while it's obviously a key area in the game. They usually all consider this as granted for GER.

It's very interesting to watch the current fight. It will probably end up, in the end, in GER favor, but the lost time and the attention it requires could have an impact elsewhere in this new match.

I feel like the Allies are fighting that just for the sake of fighting it. I don't really know what else they hope to accomplish out of it.

I agree. Nothing can really come out of it short term. But it hinders GER... pin down some of its troops... etc.

I agree. Nothing can really come out of it short term. But it hinders GER... pin down some of its troops... etc.

At this time of the war, Germany have plenty of troops. But sure, the Luftwaffe is pretty tied down, and yes, if there are coming operation depending on a locked Baltic Sea, they would be stalled. But honestly, as this started, I wasn't sure we would be able to bomb Copenhagen to its knees. We haven't tried that before. And the taking is not done. It practically need to be taken with a paradrop with is risky business in HoI - as it should be.

Chapter XIX – The Battle of Denmark, part IV

Players: UK, CAN, FRA, SU, GER, ITA, JAP

Recap: Last clip including supply-bombing of the destroyed city of Copenhagen, some Japanese intel, Italy’s thoughts on a campaign to retake Sicily and a little bit on the convoy war -> HERE!

12.jpg

January 27th-30th, 1940

In the end of January, Copenhagen was completely destroyed. Although the industry was virtually untouched, little else worked in the city. The citizens mostly lived in their basements, dug tunnels from one basement to another. Slowly but surely a tunnel network was built by the civilians. It was not fit for a military supply network, however, and the Axis bombers now targeted the British supply system.

41.jpg

February 2nd, 1940

While the fleet was sailing towards Rostock, the bombing of Copenhagen’s supply network continued. The Brits had serious problems with getting fresh supplies into the old city, with all major roads, air fields and ports obliterated, and now most of their supply hubs had been targeted too. Most British units were now forced to live on what each division had stored within their own structures. They were bound for rough times.

Canadians seemed to be moving into Copenhagen but it would take some time for them to get there.

Watch youtube clip for gameplay including the bombing of Denmark coming into a new phase, the troops on the Spanish border, the convoy war, the Italiand and Japanese threat situation, “other plans” and more:

WoW Il Duce, enemy of the States ? How was that huge ITA threat generated ? Did they invade YUG and some Balkans ? It seems so but I could not put my hand on a global map in your videos.

JAP : yeah, going for 2 Minors beyond CHI is always very penalizing in terms of impact on USA neutrality.

I wonder where those armies are heading. With the Baltic open a Barbarossa could become very risky. On the other hand, it'd be good if you could get what remaining neutrals there are into your boat.

WoW Il Duce, enemy of the States ? How was that huge ITA threat generated ? Did they invade YUG and some Balkans ? It seems so but I could not put my hand on a global map in your videos.

JAP : yeah, going for 2 Minors beyond CHI is always very penalizing in terms of impact on USA neutrality.

ITA attacked Yugo post war. That threat was calculated for. But we also have a house rule that majors must DoW themselves (to avoid spreading threat even) and we hadn't calculated for the threat when they DoWed France. So a little more threat than expected in the end.

ITA attacked Yugo post war. That threat was calculated for. But we also have a house rule that majors must DoW themselves (to avoid spreading threat even) and we hadn't calculated for the threat when they DoWed France. So a little more threat than expected in the end.

I see

Chapter XX – The Battle for Denmark, part V

Players: UK, CAN, FRA, SU, 2xGER, ITA, JAP

Recap: Watch youtube clip for gameplay including the bombing of Denmark coming into a new phase, the troops on the Spanish border, the convoy war, the Italiand and Japanese threat situation, “other plans” and more,
HERE!

8.jpg

February 14th-15th, 1940

In mid February, the Führer initiated a new war, although the Danish campaign was still on-going. Switzerland was attacked. It was not an optimum time of the year as it was tough work stabbing into the still snow covered hills and mountains but as opposition was believed to be minimal it did not matter much.

One reason for this attack was the hunt for rare materials.

91.jpg

February 15th, 1940

In Aarau (85) the German attackers got the tough task of charging across river into fortified plains. However, they came in great numbers and were spearheaded by the 10th SS Panzer Division, “Frundberg”. The poorly equipped Swiss did not stand much of a chance but still fought valiantly from their forts even though victory can’t have been thought as an option.

Watch latest youtube clip for gameplay including mainly some crucial events in Denmark, but also the Battle of Switzerland… and Cpt Easy taking about sex.

What on earth happened in Griefswald? Danes slipped through and landed an HQ there?

What on earth happened in Griefswald? Danes slipped through and landed an HQ there?

After the Danes were conquered we got sieze fire. That HQ moved away through Germany. Then they got hostile and took the province they were standing in. No biggie though.

Chapter XXI – Another two bites the dust

Players: UK, CAN, FRA, SU, 2xGER, ITA, JAP

Recap: Watch last youtube clip for gameplay including mainly the last battle of Denmark, but also the Battle of Switzerland… and Cpt Easy taking about sex - HERE!

13.jpg

February 22nd, 1940

The conquering of Switzerland, Operation Tannenbaum, was a fast ordeal which lasted less than a month. The Third Reich was ever growing. More factories could now produce war material, the output on rare materials had increased – all without increasing the border against the enemy. With Denmark in German hands, the Führer could truly say the war was going well according to plan.

Watch lates gameplay clip including a new Declaration of War, a paradrop, some supply issues and discussions about the effects of few VPs on a minor and more:

62.jpg

March 13th, 1940

Ploesti fell as well. The Romanians had no way of defending against panzers. The entire country was crumbling after only a few days of the German invasion.

Several of the German panzers had not even reached the battles. There had been distinct issues with fuel shortages. Perhaps the Germans had used too much troops on a too narrow strip too far away from Berlin…?

Watch lates gameplay clip -> UK is ground attacking Axis Europe!!! And Hitler is on spring break.