EU4 Conversion Problem: Country names appear as tags instead of proper localization

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BMN

Captain
78 Badges
Feb 16, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Countries that have been converted will not have their names appear, instead their tags will be shown. Countries not affected by the conversion keep their proper names.

Thus Sweden and Mali stay "Sweden" and "Mali"

But Pyrdain and Arabia become "Z00" and "Z09"

236850_screenshots_2014-10-12_00002.jpg

The most common factor that causes this issue to appear is a difference in language between Crusader Kings 2 and EUIV. If CK2 is in English and EUIV is in say, German, then the conversion will be b0rked and you'll have a situation like you see in that screenshot.

The other most common issue only appears on Linux machines. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% remembering how to fix that problem, so you'll have to wait on someone else to fill in the gap.

EDIT: Here we go, I found another post that might be helpful for any Linux users experiencing the same problem:

Try opening and resaving converted_countries_l_english.yml into UTF-8. It's probably in Windows-1254, which borks everything with localization files. Or maybe it's the other way around. Regardless, between UTF-8 and Windows-1254, it's probably in the wrong encoding.

Last edited:
The most common factor that causes this issue to appear is a difference in language between Crusader Kings 2 and EUIV. If CK2 is in English and EUIV is in say, German, then the conversion will be b0rked and you'll have a situation like you see in that screenshot.

The other most common issue only appears on Linux machines. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% remembering how to fix that problem, so you'll have to wait on someone else to fill in the gap.

They're both in English... :blink:

I have both a Mac and a windows, and both have resulted in this problem.

Sigh, I wish I wasn't on probationary status and could actually access the CK2-EUIV Converter project page and see a full changelog. I'm using it off Steamworkshop right now with only a vague idea of what it actually does! But any change to the converter is good change in my book :p

Again, even without mods, the converter doesn't properly show the country names.

This has been unfixed for patches and patches, ever since the converter came out. Button line is the game won't read the converted country names file, so you have copy and paste the vanilla country names file into your converter mod, and then copy paste the converted country names file into it yourself.

This has been unfixed for patches and patches, ever since the converter came out. Button line is the game won't read the converted country names file, so you have copy and paste the vanilla country names file into your converter mod, and then copy paste the converted country names file into it yourself.

It will take effort, but that's a doable fix. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that :D

Since the converted countries localisation file was not working, I copied the vanilla one and added in the converted countries... and now NONE of the countries work!

Before it was only converted countries that didn't work, Sweden and Ming were fine, but now none do since I made the fix...

What now?