• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General Karthos

General
62 Badges
Aug 24, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
So Ireland will be tribal in 769, but not under threat of Norse Invasion (at least, not immediately). Some say Ireland in 867 is no longer newbie island, but so long as the Norse hold off on invading until you can form the Kingdom (shouldn't take more than 20 years), it's not too hard to treat it like 1066.

But tribal mechanics.... They're gonna make things interesting. You'll have to keep relationships with tribal vassals high, and even then, they might not send you any men. And even if they do, you won't control them. You'll be able to raid, but you won't have any boats. Are you going to raid Scotland when you can't possibly escape back into Ireland? Are you going to march through Scotland to get to the feudal Kingdoms in modern-day England?

Can you spend all your hard-earned money on mercenaries? Or will you have to save up to go feudal as soon as possible, or face crushing defeat at the hands of other European powers?

As with every expansion, my first game will be in Ireland.... But I don't think it's Newbie Island any more.

It will still be Tutorial Island, just for tribal mechanics :D I think what qualifies it as Newbie Island is its isolation from the rest of the world and lack of any nearby threats.

It was confirmed in a different thread that although Scotland will have tribal mechanics, Ireland will not.

It's still tutorial island in 1066. It's not like you have to start in 769. ;)

There's no way Ireland is tutorial island in 867. Requiring luck to not get killed is the opposite of a good learning opportunity, unless the lesson is meant to be applied to real life.

Some say Ireland in 867 is no longer newbie island, but so long as the Norse hold off on invading until you can form the Kingdom (shouldn't take more than 20 years), it's not too hard to treat it like 1066.
Ireland 867 is not newbie island, unless you're tricking those newbies into uninstalling the game.

There's no way Ireland is tutorial island in 867. Requiring luck to not get killed is the opposite of a good learning opportunity, unless the lesson is meant to be applied to real life.

Ireland 867 is not newbie island, unless you're tricking those newbies into uninstalling the game.

Okay, okay, so I find it easy. I had 200 hours with the game before I did that start in any case. It's not newbie Island.

But I'm talking 769. I'll grant there's no norse to raid you, but Scotland can raid. And the AI isn't particularly good about ensuring that it has a safe place to retreat to when raiding. And getting armies wiped out time after time doesn't seem to deter them. So Scotland probably will raid. English Feudal Kingdoms probably won't be a major threat, but the Norse will start venturing farther afield. I can only HOPE that they are likely to invade Scotland as they did historically, and raid Ireland.... Make things difficult for them.

They can, I assume. It'll just be less frequent because they're farther from Ireland and have fewer boats.

Note: That assumes that the AI doesn't hate all humans and desire to destroy them. I have no evidence that such is not the case. In fact, I have substantial evidence that the AI DOES in fact hate all humans and desire to destroy them. Thankfully, Paradox is not designing our nuclear missile protocols. Are they?

They can, I assume. It'll just be less frequent because they're farther from Ireland and have fewer boats.

Norse will actually have no boats in 769, leaving Byzantium the only region able to build any boats at all (at least at the beginning.) "The Viking Age" will be an event which spawns for the Norse, which both gives them shipyards, and advances their shipbuilding technology.

Norse will actually have no boats in 769, leaving Byzantium the only region able to build any boats at all (at least at the beginning.) "The Viking Age" will be an event which spawns for the Norse, which both gives them shipyards, and advances their shipbuilding technology.

I approve! Strongly! Bring on the hordes! I'll be ready for them, and so will my... wait... where are my loyal kings? Why do you have a knife? Oh god! Help me! Why are you stabbing me so many times!?

Note: That assumes that the AI doesn't hate all humans and desire to destroy them. I have no evidence that such is not the case. In fact, I have substantial evidence that the AI DOES in fact hate all humans and desire to destroy them. Thankfully, Paradox is not designing our nuclear missile protocols. Are they?
Exactly. They'll just raid the less fruitful Finnish and Baltic coasts on foot.

Ireland and Scotland will not be able to raid co-religionists though. This will be less fun and make it much more difficult to accrue prestige.
Effectively disallowing them to raid at all in 769 as they are locked out of the rest of Europe and do not have sailing technology.

Well, Ireland is very easy in 867 aswell considering most if not all counts start off with a claim on the duchy of Tara. The duke is extremely easy to beat so the first thing you do is banish the jews, declare war. Raise a merc company and stomp him. After that noone is powerful enough to challenge you so you simply just fabricate claims until you can form the Kingdom. When you have, most people should just agree on becoming vassals and you got your de jure borders. The Vikings usually fail in my games tbh. Very rarely did I see them winning any major territory after northumbria.