• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

callanquinn

First Lieutenant
49 Badges
May 10, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Introduction
2dwhoc5.jpg

天皇陛下萬歲- A Japanese AAR" written by me. Some of you may remember my ill fated Soviet AAR, "Adventures in Communism", which ended prematurely due to technical faults and my own stupidity. But fear not! Lessons were learned, save rotas implemented and wits sharpened. In this AAR, I will be guiding Japan through the turbulent years of the 20th Century. In regards to goals, I intend to play until I lose. It's worth mentioning I played Vanilla TFH, but on custom start, simply so I could move the troops in Manchuria to Japan, and the Garrison units to the Pacific Islands. What's that you say? That should only take a few minutes? I'm incredibly lazy. I'm always open and appreciate of advice/feedback/death threats. Enjoy!

Table of contents:
Japan: An Asian Power 1900-1936
Preparations for war: The Plan for China 1936-1st July 1937
Unexpected Resistance

Last edited:
Reactions:
A Japanese AAR, SWEET! Consider me subbed and I say, bring it on! :D

You reminded me of my first AAR. I didn't really use Latin for the headline :D

Japan: The Asian Power 1900-1936

Japan: The Asian Power 1900-1936

Japan's entrance into the world stage as a serious power was a journey that revolutionized the world in many respects. Japan itself, at the turn of the century, had just come out of a rather turbulent civil war, between the warrior ruler the "Shogun", and the traditional Meji emperor in Kyoto. This war was mainly over foreign involvement in Japan, which up until that point, was decades behind the rest of the world, still adhering to Medieval practices in regards to farming, and industry was nonexistent. However, once foreign powers invested and began to modernize Japan, the traditional anti-foreigner sentiment took hold, and thus the war began. Ironically, France, America and Great Britain sponsored both sides, and foreign advisers were in high demand, some even given traditional tiles and fiefdoms. The result of the war was not only the victory of the Emperor, but the emergence of Japan as a modern power. Oddly, Japan never abandoned it's traditional virtues, simply marrying it to it's modernization, producing beautiful works of art of factories for example. However, Japan was not truly considered significant until the Russo-Japanese war(8 February 1904 – 5 September 1905), in which Japan outclassed the Russians, who suffered a humiliating string of defeats, and greatly affected their prestigious place in Geo-politics.

2rzxav5.jpg

A beautiful Japanese woodblock print of the battle of Mukden, a decisive Japanese victory.

351dbia.jpg

A cartoon depicting Russia's prestige flowing through the Hourglass, watched by a defeated Tsar. The Russo-Japanese war was the beginning of the end for Imperial Russia

However, Japan's true calling came in World War 1, where she joined the Entente in 1914. Japan's role was many beneficial to herself, as she took most of the German-leased ports in China, as well as the Pacific Islands. It also allowed herself to assert her rights over Manchuria, which she had taken off the Russians. Following the Russian Revolution, she seized certain Russian assets, which were given back to the USSR at the end. Japan was allowed sit along the "Big Four" at Versailles, but like Italy, Japan did not really benefit from the treaty, though she was allowed to keep captured German assets. Japan also emerged out of the war as a major power, regocnized by all European states as a serious force in Asia. Unfortunately, despite the increase in light industry in the war, Japan suffered from extreme rural poverty, and had very little heavy industry to speak of. To compensate, Japan was the spearhead in Battleship warfare, and had a Navy few other powers could hope to match.

21dn71t.jpg

The "Wakamiya" a seaplane carrier. This was the basis of the modern aircraft carrier, and a beacon of Japanese innovation.

2ep3jvm.jpg

The "HIJMS Aki", an example of Japanese Battleship innovation. This was based off the British and German Dreadnought design, but with a few modifications.

Japan suffered political strife and financial disastrous, much like the rest of the world during the 20's. The Army, desperate to restore order hired and fired (and assassinated) ministers and bureaucrats. It came to a head however, over the Mukden incident in 1931, whereupon a Chinese nationalist .attempted to blow a railway line in Manchuria. The bomb went off, and the train simply kept going. This was the excuse the army needed. Of it's own accord, the Japanese army invaded Manchuria for the second time, attacking Chinese troops, and the war was quickly won. The puppet state Manchukuo was established. This act of aggression led to Japan's expulsion from the League of Nations. It was the beginning of Japanese Nationalism, and the start of it's international isolation from the powers that criticized it as "brutal" and "reckless".

2zzul9z.jpg

The spot where the bomb went off, sparking the Mukden incident.

2uhb7a1.jpg

Imperial forces move into Manchuria. Note the winter gear, a recent practice in the IJA, after 1905 war where many men died of attrition.

Our story begins on the eve of war with China, as I find the year 1936 to be dreary. We'll get a rundown of the plan, and I'll show you our force composition.​

Oh the humanity! He's doing it again! Daughters lock up your moms, the Irish are coming

Obviously subbed.

Give me a bit of credit. We're not Vikings :D I'm more Father Ted than Liam Neeson. Thanks for the sub!

A Japanese AAR, SWEET! Consider me subbed and I say, bring it on!

Thanks for the sub. Wait till I doom stack my fleet against USA, you'll love that ^^

You reminded me of my first AAR. I didn't really use Latin for the headline
Preposterous! Your telling me you never learned to read Japanese and don't own a chateau in the South of France!?!? Uncultured savage! *adjusts monocle*

My body is ready for the glory! Tena heika banzai!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, Japan. I always like Japan AARs, so I'll follow yours, of course.

Thanks for the sub. Wait till I doom stack my fleet against USA, you'll love that ^^

But this isn't WWI mod. You can't possibly stack 60 ships and be OK with stacking penalty! :p

Preposterous! Your telling me you never learned to read Japanese and don't own a chateau in the South of France!?!? Uncultured savage! *adjusts monocle*

Why of yuor English such advanced? Me needings translate almost every of yuo word :sad:

My body is ready for the glory! Tena heika banzai!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting to see who would say that first :D

But this isn't WWI mod. You can't possibly stack 60 ships and be OK with stacking penalty!

60 ships? That number of ships will just be my submarine flotilla. The CTF fleet will be a number so big, it will break the game.

Preparations for War: The Plan for China

Preparations for War: The Plan for China
1936-1 July 1937

The year of 1936 in Japan was a rather slow one, but by no means did nothing happen. Fevered production was taken in order to restore our army to a state where it function to it's full potential, with all divisions taken from Manchuria and brought home to be fitted out with new artillery brigades. Furthermore, our outdated and inefficient cavalry upgraded to our newly researched and highly advanced light armour, and a motorized brigade attached to the division. In fact, such was the amount of spending placed in preparing our forces for the upcoming struggle, that the navy was left rather in the cold until the beginning of 37', which perhaps may come back to hurt us later. However, the end result of production in 36' means we have 25 new Artillery brigades, 75 newly equipped Infantry brigades, 10 new light tank brigades, and 5 Motorized brigades. Certainly, a force to be reckoned with and hopefully enough to overwhelm whatever the Chinese can hope to bring against us.

5e8ldj.jpg

The new light tank, the Type 98 Ke-Ni. Certainly more than whatever the warlords of China can bring against us.

2ryr3p4.jpg

The new artillery brigades should help increase our Infantry's combat ability and bolster our divisions strength

Once those were completed an shipped to China for deployment, we began immediately to construct our new fleet. We began with the backbone of the fleet, Aircraft carriers. After that priority was given to 3 new battleships, as well as 2 new super battleships, the "Yamato" and and her sister ship, the "Musashi". These iron castles will dwarf whatever they come against, but will be vulnerable without the protection of screens, so 20 new destroyer fleets will be constructed in accordance with the rest of the ships. A tall order, but if we can divert enough industrial capacity to it, it's an achievable task. With this new fleet, we can rule the waves without question.

2mhwkk9.jpg

The idea and secrecy around the "Yamato" size and construction led many Allied intelligence services to believe it was a myth, and even today few pictures exist of it, save for it's final hours.

Despite these great feats of production, Japan's air force has been left neglected. Our scientist have researched some fantastic plane prototypes, and the research teams at Mitsubishi are keen to implant them into our existing air force, but no funding could be spared, and only now, the day before the war with China, is the work starting. A worrying development, as this war was to be the chance for Japan to try out new tactics with our air force. Hopefully the work will be completed soon, so the planes can operate at their maximum capacity. Not that the Chinese will contest the airspace very much anyway. However, serious investment into new pplanes will be top priotity after the Navy, especially new Naval bombers, Carrier air groups and Interceptor wings

2ebspqb.jpg

While we have reaserched far more modern prototypes, the Ki-10 will have to serve are forces until they can be implemented.

The Plan: Operation False Dawn

2yxf9dw.jpg

The plan is relatively simple. 1st army, commanded by General Hata, has 4 Corps under his commanded, comprising of 4 INF divisions and a LARM division, with the exception of the 2nd Corps under Major-General Okamura, who has 3 LARM divisions facing the Shanxi. Starting on the the 1st July, they will sweep through Northern China, taking out Shanxi, and if things go well, Communist China. Then, on the first of August, whilst attention is focused on them, 2nd Army under General Higashikuani, who has 2 corps under his command, will invade the east coast and take Shanghi, Nanjing and other economic hubs. Once these fronts link up, a push can then commence onto mainland China. They will be support by Yamashita's 5 Interceptor wings, and General Tojo's 5 Tactical bomber wings.

The scene is set. The forces are deployed. Japan is ready to show the world the Emperor's wrath is to be feared!

Such honor!!!

An excellent plan, and the buildup looks good to me, go kick down China and claim your rightful place as ruler of Asia!
I guess you'r aware of the wargoal, just to be sure: you might want to add Conquer to it 1 month into the war to make sure you take all of Nationalist China instead of just the coastline. that should grant you more resources and manpower to face the Allies later.

BTW, those are some lovely historical photo's, I like them!

The army looks good enough to defeat the Chinese, but will you invest into occupation forces as well? And what about Garrisons for your islands? Any plans to fortify them as well? If they put up enough of a fight, your fleet has enough time to intercept and defeat the enemy navy.

An excellent plan, and the buildup looks good to me, go kick down China and claim your rightful place as ruler of Asia!
I guess you'r aware of the wargoal, just to be sure: you might want to add Conquer to it 1 month into the war to make sure you take all of Nationalist China instead of just the coastline. that should grant you more resources and manpower to face the Allies later.

BTW, those are some lovely historical photo's, I like them!

Yeah I need to remeber to add the wargoals, that's important. I was really surprised that there are so many picures it's great!

The army looks good enough to defeat the Chinese, but will you invest into occupation forces as well? And what about Garrisons for your islands? Any plans to fortify them as well? If they put up enough of a fight, your fleet has enough time to intercept and defeat the enemy navy.

Our islands are already half garrisoned, but requires review. I intend to occupy loosely, perhaps with cav and Armoured corps.

Unexpected Reisitance: 1st July 1937-1st August 1937

Unexpected Resistance
1st January 1937-1st August 1937

In the early hours of the morning of the first of July, Tokyo was a hurried hive of activity. Diplomats and Generals rushed around, all awaiting the same news. At 5:00 A.M, the Emperor addressed the nation. "We are at war with Nationalist China and her warmongering allies!" Strong words, but it will take more than heightened rhetoric to secure our holdings in the "Middle Kingdom"
Whilst the Emperor was addressing the waiting populous in Tokyo, aircraft had been scrambled and troops were racing across the borders, from the deserts in Shanxi to the city of Beping. T begin with, the first five days seemed to be going very well, with the light armour streaming across the Shanxi border, and our forces securing Beping and other border cities with relatively few casualties. Even our slightly outdated air force was preforming quite well.

vxnbpf.jpg
wcfqmr.jpg

Despite the old technology, General Tojo is making hay while the sun shines, proving to be wrecking havoc among the Chinese forces, despite coming under attack

However, the first storm clouds began to appear within the first week of he offensive. My attention focused on the advancement of the majority of the front, I noticed a rather disturbing spectacle: One of our divisions had not overwhelmed the defenders, but was in fact getting absolutely demolished by them. Major-General Cho's 23.Hoheshiden were stalled at the rather mountainous area of Zhoulou, on our border with China. Horrified, Field Marshal Konin immediately supported it with the new light tank division 2 Moukogo Kihoheshiden, but to little effect. The province would not eventually fall till the 14th of July costing nearly 600 irrecoverable casualties. However, due to advancements made in other fronts, it's objectives were assigned to a more aggressive division.

2dinbir.jpg

Major-General Cho's folly; results like these simply will not do.

After this embarrassment , the rest of the fronts advance was hindered by supply problems, with very little advancement made. By the 14th, it was clear our original objectives would not be achieved, so the deadline was pushed to the 7th of August. The fighting was fierce, but was broken by what was a most bizarre turn of events. The islands garrison of Naha reported the Chinese were invading! In disbelief at such a preposterously arrogant move, a battleship fleet was quickly scrambled and the Chinese fleet was effectively wiped out, with 4 heavy cruisers and a transport flotilla blasted apart by the "Mutso", a relatively old battleship. Order on the sea was restored, and the upstarts wiped out.

30tiddw.jpg

The Nagato class battleship the "Mutso", who sunk 4 heavy cruisers and a trasport ship. Despite the fact the Chinese navy is little more than floating tractors, it's nice to know our older material is so reliable.

In other news, Japan became a part of the Axis" on the 15th July, aligning our fate with the powerhouses in Europe. We can most certainly benefit from their technology and experience. Furthermore, Mengkukuowas formed on the 21st July, allowing us to free our hands of petty border management and partisan supervision, and focus on the task at hand. Hopefully, thses decisons will only help to support our advancement to become the Asian empire we crave.

316p8aa.jpg

Japan joins the Axis. A hopefully fruitful decision.

By the 1st August, none of our divisions had made their objectives, but of little concern, as this was anticipated and the due date pushed forward a week. However, some forces are relatively close, the 1.Hoheshiden within 30km of the river line. Overall, supply issues, stubborn resistance and bizarre invasions have slowed our advance. It matters little. These incursions are but the twitching of a dying giant. Once the invasion force lands, the road to Nanjing will be open...

Operational Theater circa 1/09/37

2pyq8lh.jpg

Do not a ret the dying dragon affront the rising sun! Onward to victory! Onward to grory!!!!

Carran!!!!! Stop being dishonorabru and give me a grorious update!