• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(276755)

Corporal
1 Badges
Mar 1, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron III
G'day All,
Playing as (Axis) Australia I've got a pretty limited navy and a lot of sea lanes to protect and defend.

I've noticed that even when on Patrol, my task force of 2xCL and 3 x DD have sunk some British and French supply runs. That's great, because I'm trying to starve them out of the pacific anyway, but they're really there to try and catch the numerous subs attacking my supply lines.

But what's the metrics here? does being on Patrol order reduce my chance of interdicting supply? likewise, if I assign them to convoy raiding, is that reducing my chances of sinking their subs?

Right, so you're saying the ONLY engagement with the enemy on convoy raiding is if they find you? There's no chance those guys will find and attack any subs at all?

I'm actually interested if anyone knows the modifiers (if any). Clearly while on Patrol it still intercepts supply convoys, and of course when convoy raiding the enemy may find you and it becomes a shootout anyway, but if I'm just as likely to sink enemy supply runs while patrolling, I'll just set it for that and look for subs at the same time.

For large navies it's less of an issue of course, but Nazi Australia needs a lot of help at sea!

You summed it up fairly well there at the end. Convoy raiding will cause the fleet to hunt convoys while trying to avoid combat. Patrol causes them to seek out all forms of naval opposition and engage. So if the primary purpose of a group is to control the sealanes, then patrol is the order you want and they will also hit convoys. But if you want them to do their best to harry convoys while avoiding a superior enemy, then convoy raiding is the way to go. For subs, convoy raiding is pretty much always the way to go anyway, since they are abysmal at other forms of combat, amounting to nothing more than evasive targets for the most part.