• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dochbork

Sergeant
17 Badges
Jan 3, 2014
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
Rise Colombia!

A Gran Colombia AAR

So, hey guys!

My name is Dochbork, and I plan to do my first Victoria 2 AAR playing as Gran Colombia with the POD Concert of Europe mod. While I have owned Victoria 2 for some time, I have never done a Vic2 AAR and as such this is my first attempt :p. I hope it will go well.

So, what are your goals, sweety?

I plan to rise Gran Colombia to Secondary Power status, chocking other South American states along the way. Might as well try a conquest of Central America too.

How long do you think this will last?
Dunno. I will try to extent this as long as possible, and have fun along the way. Sounds good, ja?

Frequency of updates?
Depends on school, really.

So that is all for now! I plan to do the first update propably tommorow, and we will see from there on.

Hail Gran Colombia!

EDIT: This is HOD. Nevermind

Last edited:
The War of Independence

1821 - 1825
The modern history of Gran Colombia begins with the formation of the Provinsional Government in Bogota, on September 1st, 1821. Proclaimed by the combined Assemblies of Venezuela and New Granada, and under the wise leadership of Simon Bolivar, it was formed with one goal in mind. The liberation of both countries from Spain. Nobody could realise at the time that the union the formed on that warm morning of September was bound to change South American history.

Immediately, the combined forces formed an army of 21,000, led by a charismatic young man, Emilio Gonzalez, a former officer of the Spanish Army and now member of the Colombian one. Marching towards Quito, it was bound to class with the Spanish army. The Battle of Quito (October 3rd - October 5th) was the only one during the duration of the war. The decisive victory of Colombian and Venezuelan troops allowed for a swift siege of the city. By February 1822, the city had fallen.

Marching in the lush forests of the Ecuadorian inland, the Colombian troops faced hardships for two more years. Around the beginning of 1824, the last Spanish fort on Ecuador fell. The Navy of Spain immediatelly moved to blockade the coasts of Gran Colombia, but it was already too late

Batalla_de_Carabobo.png

Battle of Quito, 1821

The remaining months of 1825, the Treaty of Lisbon was signed. The independence of Gran Colombia was recognised, as well as that of Ecuador. But more suprises would hit the Federation soon. Th Dominican Republic, having recently gained it's independence, messaged Simon Bolivar, asking to join the Republic. Ecuador joined swiftly afterwards, and the two new natiosn joined Gran Colombia on August 29, 1826.

Elections were to be proclaimed, but first a constitution had to be proclaimed. A debate that nearly brought Civil War upon the new country. But this is for the next chapter to tell.

59DEM0B.png

Map of the newly independent country, following the accession of Ecuador and the Dominican Republic

You bastard. You stole my idea and my mod!

I shall follow -- few people can follow my genius ideas. ;)

Constitutional Crisis of 1826

While the war did end with the Treaty of Lisbon, there was still the matter of a constitution to be discussed. While nomimally united, Venezuela and New Granada remained de facto independent countries, with Bogota exercising little to no constitutional authority beyond the city's borders. A constitutional assembly was called for August 39th 1826, in order to develop a constitution.

Despite the objections of Simon Bolivar, the Upper and Lower Houses of Parliament voted in favour of a heavy liberal and autonomist constitution which united Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Venezuela and New Granada in a new state, the Colombian Federation. Led by Francisco de Paula Santander, Partido Federalista managed to make the vote pass in Parliament. It was the night of September 2nd, 1826. As the Vice President stepped out of the balcony to make the announcement, a shot was fired from the crowd, and Santander fell to the floor, injured. Troops loyal to Simon Bolivar and the Partido Centralista stormed the House of Parliament, as troops loyal to the Federal constitution responded.

In the end, the Skirmish at Bogota, as the battle came to be named, ended in a Federalist victory. Santander survived and managed to heal from his injuries, while Simon Bolivar retreated to Quito, gathering supporters. The President and Vice President of the Federation had turned against each other, as Bolivar refused to recognise the new democratic authority and demanded a strong Presidential junta, similar to those of Peru and Bolivia.

640px-Gebhard_Leberecht_von_Bl%C3%BCcher_in_Bautzen_1813.jpg

Federalist troops after the Skimrish in Bogota

In the end, Bolivar was betrayed by his own troops, and a coup d' etat took place on September 4th 1826 in Quito. The President was placed under arrest, but Santander was afraid that by imprisoning Bolivar he would cause a popular rebellion. In the end, a compromise was reached. Bolivar was forced into retirement, while retaining the position as Senator-for-Life in the Parliament. Francisco de Paula Santander was proclaimed the President, and elections were called for December 1st 1826.

Which the Partido Centralista won.

Last edited:
Yay! Concert of Europe AAR!

Following.

subbed

Subbed

So does this mod simulate the breakup of Gran Colombia? And did you annex the Dominican Republic by military force, or was there a decision/event for that?
I don't want to spoiler anything yet, but you will see quite soon :p

The annexation of Dominican Republic was via event. Similar to the ones German minors get to join the German Empire.

Economics, Colonisation, Politics

1827 - 1829
With the victory of Partido Centralista on the elections of December 1826, it was almost certain for many people of the elite that Bolivar would abolish the Constitution of the Federation as voted by Santander. But this was not the case. Such an action would almost certainly end in a civil war, and Simon didn't want to ruin his prestige. For the time being, the autonomous Republics were maintained.

Instead, Partido Centralista begun a mass programme of industrialization. Wineries and glass factories were built in Ecuador, as well as in Bogota and Panama. The state begun to generate profits, as taxes were increased and the army expanded by one more unit. Being the only nation on South America besides the colonial powers of Portugal, Britain and rest to develop a simple form of industry, Colombia was feared by the ones it bordered. On March 4th 1827, Peru ended it's alliance with Gran Colombia, and turned to Chile and Argentina for help.

w0wCdAq.png

Despite all that, there was still dissent in the Federation. Almost daily, Bolivar was bombarded by messages from the Army and the local rich elite, a remnant of the Spanish colonial times. Democracy in Colombia was unstable, with more than 10 coup attempt plans foiled within 8 months since the declaration of the Federal constitution. The Cabinet decided that something had to be done if Gran Colombia was to remain stable and united. A war against Peru.

The prepations of the war silently took place through the year 1827, as more and more industries popped up in the Colombian Federation. Entering 1828, the Federation found itself preparing it's first colonial expedition on the Galapagos Islands. The dreams of expansion on the isle came true on March 1828, as the settelement of the island by Gran Colombia was recognised by the Great Powers through Agreement of Ottawa. The newly incorporated territory was declared a part of the Ecuadorian Republic within the Federation.

Pfe93is.png

As the Galapagos case was closed, Peru declared war on Bolivia on June 5th 1828, together with her Argentine allies. While Colombia was not allied to Bolivia, it decided to fund the Bolivian war machine, as well as speed up the plans for invasion of Peru. The war ended on September of the same year, with Bolivia humiliated and the Colombian army still not ready for war. All the while, the seperatist and dictatorial opinions in the army continue to rise, causing a split between Granadian and Venezuelan troops.

Finally in 1829, it all seemed ready. The two new artillery units of the Colombian Army were ready to invade Peru, and all that remained was to set a point, a day for the operation to commence. It was decided this would March 14th, when the armies of Colombia would be ready to cross the border.

But something else got between. The ethnic conflict had finally boiled up, and a few days before the Operation, on March 12th 1829, high ranking officers of the Army approached Bolivar. They gave him two options. A junta under his leadership, or coup d' etat under the reactionary one. Bolivar was faced with a dillema, as the regional governments of Ecuador, Venezuela and Dominica were informed of the situation.

For many, this is the event that sparked the Colombian Civil War a few days after Bolivar took the decision to abolish the constitution and proclaim the National Salvation Government.

iuOUnun.png

Great AAR! I can't believe I missed this. :\

Well, it looks like your country is about to explode. If so, I wish you luck in putting it back together again.

The Colombian Civil War

1829 - 1830
With the coup of March 12th taking place and the government of National Salvation proclaimed, the regional governments were in uproar. Immediatelly, General José Antonio Páez favoured independence for Venezuela. Speaking in a divided House of Parliament in Caracas, the General managed to win the hearts of the Venezuelan senators. On March 15th 1829, Venezuela declared it's seccession from the Colombian Federation, followed by Ecuador and the Dominican Republic. The war had begun.

The armies of Colombia were divided among ethnic lines as the first battle of the war took place near the Peruvian border between Colombian and Venezuelan troops, which decided the fate of Venezuela. The armies of Colombia were crushed as the Venezuelans rose victorious and begun their march to Bogota. It is rumoured that when Simon Bolivar was informed of the defeat, he told his advisors to contact Paez at once and arrage for a treaty to end the armed conflict. His dream of a united South America collapsed in front of his very eyes, and he died some days later, on March 17th 1829 after falling in deep depression. A triumvirate of Generals negotiated a peace with Venezuela, recognising it's independence.

On Ecuador, Colombia managed to salvage what had remained of the federation. The bandit armies of Ecuador were defeated at Quito on August 28th 1829, and the city was besieged. It took a little more than a year for Ecuadorian resistance to effectively collapse. When finally the Ecuador government rejoined the now Republic of Colombia as a set of three provinces, the old Federation was over, now dominated by the remnants of the Federation.

But this was not the end. While beaten and her spirit crushed, the leaders of Colombia called a session of the Parliament on September 1st 1830. With tears in their eyes, all of them gave a vow. A vow to re unite the country, and bring an end to ethnic nationalism and division. This was not the end for Colombia. Instead, Colombia would rise.

On the next chapter, we will see the reconstruction period in the Republic of Colombia, as well as the causes of the Peruvian-Colombian War that would occure a few years later.

The treacherous Venezuelans need to be taught a hard lesson about who's in charge. :)