• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In-game tutorials are a waste of time for PDS and should be dropped from the game completely. Instead the player should be pointed to resources like the wiki, forums, and manuals. It's too complex a game to get across in a tutorial, and things change too much for a tutorial to continue to be relevant, which consumes yet more development resources updating it.

This guy's obviously a troll trying to provoke a reaction. I say stop posting and let this thread die.

I'm not a troll. As one of you guys wrote, I'm just pissed that you start playing and in the first 5 minutes already you encounter glitches and developer stupidities enough to be angry with Paradox, again.

I know how to move ships, I played longly EUIV. Those ships don't move because a lazy developer made a tutorial that doesn't go on until the ships move, but he left the game paused and the unpause command inactive. They even don't bother to check if the very first thing a player is supposed to do, actually works? It doesn't, and three years later it still doesn't.

I know these are stupid issues, and that's why I'm even more pissed. How can they NOT fix things like these, after three years from release? Unbelievable. Makes me wonder: should I trust this game and go on, or will it be the same as with EUIV that I had to abandon for its many flaws and the inevitable rage quits? Not the best way to start playing it.

BTW, thanks for the wiki links and suggestions!

I stopped buying new games long ago, prefare to wait a few years for them to mature and be nearer the game that was envisage at concept. As to problems not being resolved long after release. Well I guess that's just the nature of the beast, resources being plowed into new money making games means less resources available to service older games. It's not ideal but as long as people are greedy for money, and as long as gamers are willing to throw money at the latest thing, nothing will change anytime soon.

I agree with King Dave. I always wait for at least two years before I buy a new game. That way you get a better game, cheaper. Picked up EUIV for only €9.99, and was so disappointed with it I uninstalled it after a few weeks. It would have annoyed the hell out of me if I had paid full price. The old maxim "You get what you pay for" simply does not apply to computer games.

Yea, the tutorials are a no-no. If I had been in charge of the production process of tutorials, I would have only added three tutorials. How to use the wiki. How to use the forums. And how to find let's plays.

Tutorials are for the weak.

peasant.gif

I think the tutorial is a useful fast tool to help you understand the UI and basic game mechanics. To get started, fast. Of course, you need wikis and stuff, but let me start without having to read a manual.

Do we need Tutorial DLC for 14.99 to have a decent tutorial that works?

I don't know.. I see guys that spend thousands of hours in awesome mods that are distributed free, and developers that don't even care if a tutorial works, busy with developing DLC's that are much less than a mod, but cost like half of the game. Very bad.

"You get what you pay for" simply does not apply to computer games.

It's sad how true this is.

I agree with both Agenor and King Dave. Don't be a paying beta tester. Never pre-order anything. Even Victoria 3.

Personally I remember doing the Tutorial and encountering that same glitched transports bug. Honestly it should have been fixed by now, but if I recall correctly all I did was re-load the Tutorial and it worked fine. Without getting into some huge argument, don't knock the game based on a Tutorial. A game like CK2 (or any Paradox title for that manner) is really too complex to get the point across with a Tutorial anyway. The only way I learned much of anything other than the UI and controls was by watching Youtube videos and playing easy starts like Ireland/Iceland 867/Bohemia 1066/Tuscany 1066, etc.

If you're an EU4 player as it is, there shouldn't really be too much for you to learn as well. While I admit this is probably an over-simplification, here's some things to keep in mind:

--Remember you're playing as 1 family versus a united nation. It's up to you to make sure your vassals stay happy (use honorary titles and gifts) and act like one united nation than a squabbling mess.
--To expand you need only to use claims (whether they be de jure, fabricated, or from a legit claimant) or holy war them into submission.
--To keep your family/dynasty (and hence your nation) going you need to play the marriage game. Looks for either good genetic traits (genius, quick, etc), good stats (to improve your own ruler's shortcomings), or if nothing else a powerful ally (but DO NOT marry your daughter off to a nearby kingdom that's far more powerful than you- otherwise they get claims and could end you).

Heck, if you want I'll gladly explain a few of these things in more detail if you PM me.

I'm not a troll. As one of you guys wrote, I'm just pissed that you start playing and in the first 5 minutes already you encounter glitches and developer stupidities enough to be angry with Paradox, again.

I know how to move ships, I played longly EUIV. Those ships don't move because a lazy developer made a tutorial that doesn't go on until the ships move, but he left the game paused and the unpause command inactive. They even don't bother to check if the very first thing a player is supposed to do, actually works? It doesn't, and three years later it still doesn't.

I know these are stupid issues, and that's why I'm even more pissed. How can they NOT fix things like these, after three years from release? Unbelievable. Makes me wonder: should I trust this game and go on, or will it be the same as with EUIV that I had to abandon for its many flaws and the inevitable rage quits? Not the best way to start playing it.

BTW, thanks for the wiki links and suggestions!
So if you knew how to move ships, why were you stuck? The tutorials are modular and broken up into blocks. If you can't do one, move onto the next. But the fact that you abandoned EU4 over "flaws" when most people have a pretty great experience, minus the vocal forum trolls, just shows that you'd rather complain on the forums, rather than figure it out.

Well, thanks Bernard! Much appreciated.

I know.. I'm not letting down CKII for that tutorial.. (which I tried three times but no way..) I will go on anyway and if in need of advices I will surely ask you! :)

Never played any tutorial for CK2 as it is was quite simple to learn but EU:IV has a great tutorial, I remember being overwhelmed by that game when I bought it but I just played the tutorial once, the one where you start as Spain before the conquest and I quickly learned the mechanics and could enjoy the game afterwards.