EU4 - Art of War - Dev Diary 7 - Religious Leagues, The Reformation and the Near East

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've liked a lot of what I've read in the dev diaries so far, but not sure I can say the same for the 30 years war mechanic.

1) This is the 2nd update that gives Europeans (Christianity, but same thing in this regard) the chance to improve legitimacy. There's really no current ways to actively improve legitimacy though. So, as I asked when it came up before, is there going to be active ways for non-europeans to improve legitimacy?

2) Do we really need a way to fast track the HRE reforms? They're quite overpowered as it is. I would have thought they'd be cut for balance rather than fast tracked.

3) Do western nations really need a reduced military tech cost for 100 years? You shouldn't be behind in tech anyway if you're western.

I understand that this is probably a complex situation to add to the game, but these rewards just don't fit balance in any way. Let's take the strongest and make them stronger. I thought back after the first few patches came out the goal was stated to avoid snowballing. Why add mechanics that encourage it?

On the plus side, I'll probably have limited games in Europe, so it won't directly impact most of my games.

On the other side, this means atleast 1-2 major war in the HRE / Europe, with all major power involved and without classical alliance / coalitions, and without any "winner" in term of province. An outsider which want to beat european power can come during this confusing time.

Hello Paradox, first of all thank you so much for choosing to focus on Arabia, but I have a few questions, does Hijaz, Yemen and Oman still count as part of the Bedouin culture group? Because Hijazis, Yemenis and Omanis consider being called Bedouin an insult, so if you could make it part of the Arabic culture group, with Hijaz, Yemen and Oman having their own cultures as it is in reality I think it would be better.

How do I know? I am Hidjazi for one.

Looks great.

Can Orthodox nations choose a side in the religious wars as well? And can they become emperor after a 'cuius regio, eius religio' peace?

Yes and yes.

Looking pretty good, but some of those square provinces in Egypt are gonna be hell on my pretty borders.

And most importantly, what about the Coptic and Orthodox Christians? Are they banned permanently or do they have to wait for the "Peace of Westphalia" event to go off to be able to get into the HRE? I would be disappointed if they were blocked out entirely. Always such a fun goal, to restore the true Orthodox faith to those pesky Catholics.

EDIT: And Wiz posts a response as I'm typing this up.

Seems like the best way to get a quick Orthodox Emperor is to join a side, become warleader, and just white peace so I can become Emperor.

Looking pretty good, but some of those square provinces in Egypt are gonna be hell on my pretty borders.

And most importantly, what about the Coptic and Orthodox Christians? Are they banned permanently or do they have to wait for the "Peace of Westphalia" event to go off to be able to get into the HRE? I would be disappointed if they were blocked out entirely. Always such a fun goal, to restore the true Orthodox faith to those pesky Catholics.

They can join but cannot be Emperor.

What about reformed religion? Can one with reformed religion become the emperor?

Only after Religious Peace. Adding more religions into the system would have overcomplicated it too much at this stage.

They can join but cannot be Emperor.

What prevents me from backing the Protestants as a big Orthodox Russia, gaining warleader, and just immediately white-peacing to fire "The Peace of Westphalia" so I can get Emperor? Does the Protestant warleader have to be Protestant?

It's harder to get IA in Art of War, so now you're actually going to have to fight for your united Empire.

Really glad to hear this. I always found it odd that ingame HRE always seemed to be on a steady path to centralization while essentially the opposite happened IRL.

Religious Wars are generally going to happen earlier in game than in history, for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Is this not something that could be fixed by disallowing the formation of leagues before X date? It'd make sense to only have religious alliances materialize once the reformation has had a chance to really set in. I'd imagine for a while it was just seen as another heresy.

Thanks for being so vigilant with replies. I'm having a hard time continuing my current games with AoW around the corner.

I have a dumb question. Are there any Greeks/Orthodox in the new coastal provinces in Turkey?

Looks great, by the way :) I love the new Near East, especially the focus on the Nile, and the new HRE mechanics sound like a lot of fun. Is there any way to predict in advance which provinces will be reformation centres? Does Protestantism spread the way it does now before a country converts?

What prevents me from backing the Protestants as a big Orthodox Russia, gaining warleader, and just immediately white-peacing to fire "The Peace of Westphalia" so I can get Emperor? Does the Protestant warleader have to be Protestant?

If I understood the DD correctly, the biggest League nation will be warleader, not any external party. I could be wrong, though.

Can't lead the League war if you're not the right faith. It's largest right faith league member, to be clear.

Can't lead the League war if you're not the right faith. It's largest right faith league member, to be clear.

Well that's good. Can't wait to see how big these wars can get. I'm hoping big. :p

I eagerly await Art of War's release.

Is the culture in Hidjaz, Oman and Yemen fixed to reflect their own independent cultures? Or are they still marked as Bedouin? Also Turaba is not the name of that region it is "Taif", I am from that region.

Also can states in Arabia, have a unify Arabia mission, just like Italy, GB and a number of other nations? It would be a great add to the game, especially for Arabian players, or players who are close to the region.

3) Do western nations really need a reduced military tech cost for 100 years? You shouldn't be behind in tech anyway if you're western.

Maybe, hoping against hope, this could be a hint that tech speeds or army stats have been rebalanced, and this bonus is meant to push the European countries to the level of military supremacy that they currently get just for being in the Western tech group?

Religious Wars are generally going to happen earlier in game than in history, for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Would it be possible to mod in something like the meter that is currently used during the build up to the reformation to push this back? Or even zero it out, and re-use the interface? (I don't know much about interface modding). That could then trigger stuff like the counter-reformation, the activation of leagues, and maybe allow some tension boosting religious wargoals, all based on the level of tension, with the full scale religious supremacy wargoal getting unlocked when it maxes out. That way we could add in stuff similar to the Peace of Passau and the Peace of Augsburg, before reaching the point where the imperial throne itself is up for grabs.

Anyway, I suppose what I'm trying to ask is how moddable the league war system is.

Status
Not open for further replies.