• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GreatWyrmGold

Captain
47 Badges
Jul 8, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Given the massiv esale on all Paradox products this weekend, I'm thinking of buying some DLCs for EUIV and CKII. I'm trying not to splurge too much, though, so I only want to get ones that will actually "matter". I'm wondering what DLCs the community recommends as adding significant improvements or interesting new options to the game.

So, what are your thoughts, community?

All of the major ones for CK2; LoR, ToG, TR, SI, SoI, etc. The songs, facepacks, shields, and unitpacks you can pass on.

All of the major ones, with the exception of SI, unlock some awesome stuff - and SI you should get because it makes people in this forum mad, and it's funny to see them shake with impotent rage.

It's a big sale, might as well grab them all while you have the opportunity. They're all good (and I say get the facepacks too -- they really add to the game atmosphere).

Depends what you're after.

Major:
The Old Gods, unlocks the 867 start date and playable Pagans.
Sword of Islam, unlocks Muslims.
The Republic, unlocks Republics.
Rajas of India, unlocks Indians.
Legacy of Rome unlocks retinues (standing armies) and extra flavour for the Byzantines.
Sons of Abraham unlocks assorted religion-based flavour and playable Jews.
Sunset Invasion springs a surprise Aztec invasion from the West. I don't know whose boat that floats. Perhaps yours.

Cosmetic:
Assorted portrait, unit and music packs add variety and are only 50c each on sale. More worth it if you're playing outside core areas.

Utilities:
Ruler designer lets you tweak our starting character, but is fairly limited.
Customisation pack lets you get rid of your stupid haircut or change the name and Coat of Arms of yourself and your vassals.
^ You can do all of this through editing save-games if you're comfortable in Notepad.
EUIV convertor lets you continue your savegame in EUIV, if you play that.

I have everything but Sunset Invasion and the EUIV convertor, but also leave the Mediterranean portrait pack turned off because it's terrible.

Every time there's a sale I bring myself up to date for the price of a pint.

Last edited:
Man, development on that EUVI converter is *way* ahead of schedule. Nice work Groogy.
Indeed :rofl:. But I never doubted Groogy.

On Topic:
1) Major "Expansions":
Get the one you want.
That mostly means to see who you want to play as, because most unlock playable religions + some mechanics for them. These are:
RoI: Indian (Hindu, Buddhist, Jain)
ToG: Pagan (Tengri, Norse, Sahelian, Slavic, ...)
SoI: Islam
SoA: Jewish [also gives Christianity and Islam more flavour]
Then there are two more,
LoR: Retinues mechanic [+let's you restore Rome]
and
SI: Crazy Aztecs have gone mad over the Spanish plundering them, used their cursed gold piles to travel back in time and sweared to kill every great-great-grandfather of Cortés and Pizarro. Seems legit.

2) Get each and every facepack, because then it's not hilarious anymore that every people in the whole world look totally the same! It just adds a lot of Immersion.
2a) Oh and DON'T GET THE MEDITERRAEN PORTRAITS. Unless you like potatoes. Though I usually rather eat them.

3) Music & Units I personally find less important. I got them, but if you want to save money, ignore them.

There's an "add all dlc to cart" button on the steam store page

Also, i'd recommend getting the major expansion packs and all the face packs except the Mediterranean one. IMO, all the unit, music and dynasty COA packs are a waste of money.

There's an "add all dlc to cart" button on the steam store page

Also, i'd recommend getting the major expansion packs and all the face packs except the Mediterranean one. IMO, all the unit, music and dynasty COA packs are a waste of money.

Unit and Dynasty packs maybe, but the Music packs are all awesome. I strongly suggest the Music DLC's out of the tertiary group.

As others have said it depends mostly on what you are interested in playing. If you have no interest in ever playing as a Muslim character, there's no reason to get Sword of Islam. Likewise for Rajas of India if you don't want to play as an Indian, or The Republic if you don't want to play as a merchant prince. If you do want to play as some/all of these, then get the relevant DLC. Those three are all extremely modular in that respect, which is a good thing.

Buy Sunset Invasion if you want to fight fantasy Aztecs in Western Europe. That's all it adds, so again, it should be an easy decision as to whether or not that sort of thing appeals to you.

The Old Gods unlocks pagans/Zoroastrians, but also does other things (e.g. unlocks the 867 start date, and I believe it also changes rebels somewhat). Likewise, Sons of Abraham adds various events, decisions and the College of Cardinals in addition to unlocking Jews. Legacy of Rome adds retinues, as well as a few events for Byzantines (and I believe the ability for Greeks to castrate/blind people is also tied to the DLC).

Facepacks, units and music are all strictly cosmetic. Up to you whether you want any of them (although I agree that the Mediterranean facepack is significantly worse than the other facepacks).

Ultimately, it's up to you. I'd consider the most skippable to be: whichever of Muslims, Indians or Republics you have no interest in ever playing, followed by Sunset Invasion (if ahistorical Aztec invasions aren't your thing) and Legacy of Rome. Sons of Abraham is probably the next most skippable. But it's a good sale, so you might want to take advantage of it.

All the major ones listed above, but legacy of rome adds a broken retinue system, it's the wealth of nations of CK2 they just didn't think hard enough when making it and made lazy choices. Like the pathetic mechanic to mend the schism.

Aztec invasion is just so bananas I don't want to even get into it *shivers*

Get Legacy of Rome if you're interested in the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) Empire, and if you don't mind having a standing army. A lot of people complain about retinues, but I think having a standing army is realistic, and having it get larger as time goes on. (However, there are some problems with the system.)

If I wanted to play as the holy knight orders I should obviously get the military orders unit pack, but should I then bother also getting the Sword of Islam expansion, even though I wouldn't actually play as the muslims myself?

If I wanted to play as the holy knight orders I should obviously get the military orders unit pack, but should I then bother also getting the Sword of Islam expansion, even though I wouldn't actually play as the muslims myself?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226668/

and

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226669/

and a nice flavor as holy orders look a bit different on map
But you can't play as a holy order

SOI(sword of Islam) just adds the ability to play as a Muslim.

Basically, your Store Sale page on Steam should look like this:

ck2dlc.jpg
Sorry for the white spaces, it was a very quick and rough copy paste.

Drop some cosmetics(portrait, music, unit packs) if you are strapped for money, but really, with this kind of discount, you might as well get it all.
I guess you could get SI too...if you like fantasy BS. And even more BS in the EU4 converted savegame. if you are into it, go ahead. I'm not the DLC inquisition.

As someone else said, you can't sadly play as Holy Orders (they count as theocracies just like bishoprics, which are not playable).

That said, Sword of Islam is one of the most modular DLC; AI Musllims get all of the mechanics from the DLC without purchasing it. The only thing it does is allow you to play as a Muslim; any other playthrough is going to be identical with or without the DLC. It's a very convenient model (if you don't want to ever play as Muslims, you never need to spend any money on it). The Republic and Rajas of India play the same way, in that they merely unlock new playable groups, while the actual mechanics were included in the free patch released alongside the DLC.