• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Marshall18

I sometimes do controversial things
45 Badges
Jul 8, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Old PC died. Got new PC with windows 8.1 pro and 2880x1620 screen resolution.

Trying to run AoD on it, but I've encountered a few problems. First of all I am running it in compatibility mode to windows 7. It looks like this:

Tx9IBic.jpg

Part of it is cut off and most of the screen is black.

Any possible solutions?

I recommend changing the resolution via the config file in the main AoD folder, not via the launcher. Doing that, my AoD runs fine in 1960x1080. I'm running it on Windows 7, though.

I did that. The launcher just makes it crash. It also worked fine for me on windows 7. Its windows 8 where it is getting weird

Ok. I tried the fixes (thanks for the link).

It works fine if I set it to 1280*720, but if I set it to 1920*1080 it still makes that black area...

Ok. I tried the fixes (thanks for the link).

It works fine if I set it to 1280*720, but if I set it to 1920*1080 it still makes that black area...
It's WAD. The image at startup can't be visualized in a format bigger than a given amount (1280*1024, IIRC).

Be that as it may, 1920*1080 is out of the question unless something gets changed (in the code, I guess).

It's WAD. The image at startup can't be visualized in a format bigger than a given amount (1280*1024, IIRC).
True, but it should be centred in the middle of the screen.

Be that as it may, 1920*1080 is out of the question unless something gets changed (in the code, I guess).
I'm running AoD in 1920x1080 under Windows 7, so it generally works. It seems to be an issue with Windows 8.

True, but it should be centred in the middle of the screen.
By that last post of his it was clear to me that he meant that, now, the screen is centered properly ("It works fine if I set it to 1280*720"). And I got it so that his "black area in 1920*1080" was the unavoidable side-effect I wrote about.

I'm running AoD in 1920x1080 under Windows 7, so it generally works. It seems to be an issue with Windows 8.
If you mean the game itself, then of course. I was merely referring to the menu screen and its background.

If you mean the game itself, then of course. I was merely referring to the menu screen and its background.
Thinking about that, the start screen and menu screen background are just BMP files that can be enlarged to fit the screen. Not sure whether or not the engine likes that, though.

Thinking about that, the start screen and menu screen background are just BMP files that can be enlarged to fit the screen. Not sure whether or not the engine likes that, though.
Well, what I can tell you is that in my mod I tried to make a larger (i.e. 1920*1080) menu image but the game merrily kept displaying it at the resolution it wanted, leaving a "black area" around it as per Marshall's report.

This is why I wrote that I think it's hardcoded.

I am running AoD on a 1920x1200 Monitor under Windows 7, but i kept the standard resulution of AoD and it works fine without any compatibility mode. It only uses 1600x1200 pixel due to driver settings in order to keep the 4:3 ratio, so the left and right there are 160 Pixel in black. That works fine for me.