• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the war is a defensive one against those of another religious group they will fight for free. If the war is offensive, you will have to pay.

huh is that true?

I have never seen the Norseman decide to press dejure claims, only Holy Wars. Same for all the others of course, though I have done it as Rurkid Orthodox Russian so I didnt have to fight every one of my pagan neighbors going for an Ironman Imperial Russia.

huh is that true?

I have never seen the Norseman decide to press dejure claims, only Holy Wars. Same for all the others of course, though I have done it as Rurkid Orthodox Russian so I didnt have to fight every one of my pagan neighbors going for an Ironman Imperial Russia.

Maybe not de jure claims but the Norse make a lot of use of subjugation and conquest CB. Prepared invasions are also not a holy war.

If the war is a defensive one against those of another religious group they will fight for free. If the war is offensive, you will have to pay.
Yeah, this is what I'm seeing in my game with a few notable details:
1. At least for the Indian religions it's not the religious group, just the religion. As a Jain ruler I have to constantly fight Hindu Holy Orders even when pressing De Jure or fabricated claims vs. Hindu rulers. And those Hindu Holy Order stacks are no joke, 10k around year 900.
2. Defenders seem to be able to completely bypass the piety cost for hiring Holy Orders.

Playing an Indian ruler and got smacked by a Holy Order when I went to press a De Jure claim agaisnt another Hindu. Now I am on the defending side, hired the Holy Order, and they refused to fight my Jain attacker. Any idea what gives?