EU4 - Art of War - Dev Diary 6 - Client States, Allied Transports and Central Asia

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Awesome.
I actually start to think that world conquest will become easier in Art of War since the new custom states and vassals mechanics etc.

Exactly, easier without painting the map one colour. It's good to see paradox found a middle way through client states.

Russia expands ahistorically quickly to the East (and usually never manages its western border). The issue isn't that, it's that Iberia is prioritizing colonizing Siberia over the Indies and more colonies in the new world. This is both ahistorical and idiotic in game turns; the overseas provinces are low tax and their hope of collecting any of the trade from those colonies is nil. The AI shouldn't be colonizing there simply because it's bad value to western Europeans, and it shouldn't need artificial blocks to know it.

All colonization is too fast. Russia is actually too slow; it rarely gets all of Siberia by the end of the game, when in reality it took less than two centuries to conquer Siberia to the Bering Sea. However, now that there's way, way more provinces, colonization should be pretty fine in AoW. I'm quite hopeful about it!

Exactly, easier without painting the map one colour. It's good to see paradox found a middle way through client states.

Client states are only formable on home continent.

Probably France is the papal controller.

seriously doubt that. theodoro is 90% likely to be orthodox (judging by original position (Crimea ) and the fact it controls Russia in the Screeny. heretics/pagans don't see the holy see mechanic. and this is 1792

there for I'm sure this is the new Napoleonic war mechanics cumming in AOW!! is it similar to the 30 years war mechanic? or is it more complex?

either way. its freaking awesome!

You are entirely wrong. Language has very little to do with culture in that period, especially considering they used the Chinese language to write until that point. Their traditional dress, food, holidays were all almost exactly like china. The different didn't start till after the 1800's.

It'll be really, really easy to mod though. I know the first thing I'm doing upon getting AoW is to dive into the files to remove the tech requirement.
But I <3 ironman. T_T

Oh well. I have almost all the achievements I'm going to get anyway. I'll just blitz the new ones and then I can stop ironing men.

So there I was, sitting in my current Brandenburg game, when Austria got a PU over Hungary, like a year into the game... anyway, today they went ahead and integrated Hungary, making for this massive white blob, that I consider the greatest threat to Brandenburgian independence (Never mind that we are allied, and only 60 years into the game are partitioning the HRE between ourselves.)

So I said to myself, self, what would a possible solution for this be? By the time I'm ready to take them on, they might very well have culture converted Hungary from existence, if only I had a way to restore a Kingdom down there.

Boom, client states! If only Art of War was out now. I could see situations like this coming up, where I want to recreate a Kingdom that has been lost to absorption and conversion.

I made map to propose better portrait of the region.

mV8Ly7I.jpg

I think the wastelands are beautiful, zz77! However, I don't think you have succesfully solved the devs' problem with SW Turkmenistan. I am curious why you altered Qunghirot (Kungirot in dev version) to its Russian name or chose the name 'Nurata' over Uzbek Nurota or Persian Nurobod.

Realistically I doubt for reasons of pride and time that Danubiancossack will implement such significant changes to what must be the result of considerable research and effort.

I am glad that they found someone to be in charge of such an important region. As a researcher in the field of Central Asian history and languages, I can assure anyone reading that it is indeed a region of great complexity, importance, and historical gravity. I only wish that Danubiancossack were able to read Arabic script as well as Cyrillic, or that Johan/wiz/whoever had found someone who could. All of the history of the region from the EU4 time period is written in Persian or Chagatai, and most modern histories (as one who has read many of both kinds) are written on the basis of nationalism rather than history.

I don't remember if this has been mentioned, but will there be a new Persian cultural group culture other than Mazandarani -- or will Khorasani continue to account for everything East of the Dasht-e Kavir?

I love the Siberian factions!
You really need to make something similar for the Ainu of Hokkaido! Make an Ainu faction that is a protectorate of Japan.

Has it been made clear whether client states can be used by European nations for, say, the states in India? You can't call into wars the protectorates there and you can't vassalize them either unless they belong to an advanced tech group, which Indian tech group aren't (which most states there belongs to). I hope there is a way to make states in India subject to your European nation but still be able to call into war.

EDIT: Alternatively, create a special type of colonial vassal state for that purpose, perhaps make it only usable on Indian states. Call it 'satellite', 'princely state', or something like that.

Has it been made clear whether client states can be used by European nations for, say, the states in India? You can't call into wars the protectorates there and you can't vassalize them either unless they belong to an advanced tech group, which Indian tech group aren't (which most states there belongs to). I hope there is a way to make states in India subject to your European nation but still be able to call into war.

EDIT: Alternatively, create a special type of colonial vassal state for that purpose, perhaps make it only usable on Indian states. Call it 'satellite', 'princely state', or something like that.
No you cannot. Only on your home capital continent. Might be interesting to try and see if you can just make a minor client state with low bt, take a high bt indian province and core it and sell to the client state. If it becomes an accepted culture you might be able to start feeding them. Well see.