• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MichaelKris

Recruit
2 Badges
Jun 15, 2014
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
So I'm playing as the UK (not a dig, I'm British and even a bit patriotic). And I had this idea: Buy all the cows. Starve the world. Sell cows for millions. So I started a new game and opened the Trade tab, clicked on the bovine button and set 'Maximum Stockpile: 2000' and sat back, evilly, as the whole world was (supposed to be) destroyed, cows plucked from the remotest of regions and left confused on the streets of London. People starving and forced to eat machine parts and tropical wood because there's just nothing else.

But what? 'Current stockpile 117', only 117 measly cows? So I started clicking furiously, not really sure what was sell and what was buy. Confirming all the trades, I tried it with another resource, opium, same problem. I couldn't buy anything. I thought maybe it was my prestige, but I'm #1.

So I'm asking, is it because of Russia? They have an envious amount of cows. How can I realise my plan? Does Russia need to go?

Tl;dr, how can I hoard all of the cows and make the price rise massively?

First, you need to conquer all the provinces with cows or sphere those countries that have cows. But before that, you need also gain control of all the wheat and fish, right? Because people eat that stuff too.

Eh. Nevermind. Your plan is doomed. :)

There's a system of priorities to sort out which countries buy goods. It goes like this:
Sphere leaders get first dibs on spherelings' produce, everything left over goes to their private market
Spherelings buy anything left inside their sphere leader's market after the master in rank order, everything left over goes to the world market
Independent countries buy their own stuff before it goes to the world market, everything left over goes to the world market
All countries buy from what remains in the world market in rank order (great powers -> secondary powers -> civilised countries -> uncivilised countries)

First, you need to conquer all the provinces with cows or sphere those countries that have cows. But before that, you need also gain control of all the wheat and fish, right? Because people eat that stuff too.

Eh. Nevermind. Your plan is doomed. :)

Just stop at the Cow provinces. Be Cow producer number 1, and let your people enjoy 100% satisfaction. No one else will live.

You can occupy all provinces with cows, to prevent production.
Or you can mod a game - land add 10000 cattle supply cost for tank,or airplane , and cheat one unit.
If you are GP 1 you will buy first, but this mean massive cost:)

You Sir, just won the internet for the best evil plan the world has ever seen!

xCukw7m.gif

As others have said, due to the way purchasing order is determined (a country gets to buy everything it wants from the goods produced by it and its spherelings before it goes on the world market) it is very hard to corner the market for a good that is as widespread as cattle. In fact, if you did manage to corner the market on cattle you've probably already won! The general concept is possible however, with rubber. Sadly, you won't cause mass starvation but you can screw over the industries of other nations. In one game as Brazil I produced the vast majority of the worlds rubber. Whenever another nation started producing cars or electric gears I'd buy it all up and watch their production drop to 0. Sadly you can't buy then toss goods, so periodically I had to sell all the rubber back if I wanted to repeat the tactic (which would also be a weakness with your cattle buying plan; eventually you would have to flood the world with cattle).

Very nasty plan there! But it looks like you would need to occupy/ annex almost all the food provinces for it to work. I think you could starve the world by 1936.