• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GCRust

Major
35 Badges
Jun 11, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
I'm discovering as I sire a successful dynasty and inevitably land my family, that you'll end up with branches of the family that bear only slight resemblances to their originator.

Case in point...Denmark got uppity in the Isles, and a Crusade for England gets called. Long story short, I'm the first King of England (Irish to boot. If that isn't ahistorical irony), and I have SO MANY TITLES. 50 of them in all to pass out. So I spend a good hour and a half in the Dynasty Tree screen, combing the multitude of branches, trying to find some decent candidates from the offshoots that aren't already landed (and the one poor sod whose highest stat was a 4 plus like half the sins as traits that I kept breezing by), my heart breaking when I'd stumble across one particularly promising branch that died on the vine (11 Diplomacy, 24 Martial, 13 Stewardship, 8 Intrigue, 5 Learning...killed in battle at the age of 16).

Anywho, I was passing out titles, not really looking at who was getting them. After everything's said and done and England's been in existence for about a decade, I happen to sit down and really look at the Duke of Essex for the first time.

k7H8dfI.png

...Irish, you say?

Well, needless to say I start backtracking to figure out exactly how this transpired.

YDjP8Tj.png

His father was a event Jew, so that's no help. But his wife, also my my dynasty, doesn't look like your typical Irish Catholic.

CTuylXy.png

Her father. A pity that Strong Trait didn't transfer down the generational lines. Also a pity his stats were so mediocre. But I finally realize this is from the Munster branch of my family, who were one of the first clans to "diverge" after I managed to get a matrillinal marriage through to the independent Earl of Munster...and that was back when I was still merely the Duke of Tara! So this branch is old.

But backtracking to his Father (Which would make this Niall's Great Grandfather), we find the answer.

U7BP2B0.png

Somehow, the Munster crew married into someone of Prussian descent. (And Niall's Great-Great Grandmother was Portuguese, which also helps to explain the coloring, which got a "boost" with Yoel)

Still though, I thought this was a fun little instance of seeing just how diverse the family has become in 223 years. I'm curious if anyone else had a dynasty where one of the branches caught them off guard?

I've seen some pretty wild family tree's with distant relatives in all the far flung corners of the world. Honestly I think this is just more proof that the further back you go, it shows how we're all partially related pretty much.

I've seen weird things as a republic, from Berbers, Greeks, Egyptians and people from Mali showing up and marrying your unmarried kin leading to some interesting portraits.

Cultural diversity in your dynasty is not irregular:

- Vassals (included landed dynasty members) will sometimes (but rarely) take the Decision to convert to the local culture

- Although children will often be born the same culture as their primary parent, occasionally they end up with the culture as their "foreign" secondary parent

- AI's will often make poor guardian assignments for children, which can result in culture conversion

In a recent 1066-1453 Rajput Hindu game, there were times when I ended up with dynasty members who were Greek, Hindustani, or Kannada (despite my constant efforts to keep everyone the same culture). Twice, a dynasty member even ended up as the Leader of a Pagan Holy Order (Warriors of Perun). That was odd but probably happened when a dynasty member was banished by another dynasty member and fled to a foreign court, where the children were then raised according to the religion of the new land.

I didn't find the OP's different culture marriages that surprising. The more surprising thing is the persistence of AI matrilineal marriages through several generations. That tends to happen mainly when the woman is in the line of succession. The Prussian case, for example is not that surprising if the Prussian guy was no longer in the line of succession

There tends to be a genius ethopian girl, at the 867 start, that I always marry to one of my kids as the ERE when she exists at game start. Brings a lot of color to the dynasty, especially when she has a lot of kids.

Another forgotten branch of the family, this one overlooked because he was already landed.

odOkXR6.png

King of Apulia.

Well...was King of Apulia. I was his sole ally and in a regency, but there was never any doubt how this would turn out.

His grandfather turned out to be the Duke of Longobardia, whom I snatched up in an alliance four generations ago.

IJji5PG.png

Looking back, I'm shocked I managed to get a Duke to matrallinially marry, but I wonder if he was already possessed at that time?

In a Scotland game (with a ruler designed Duke of Lothian) I started to examine my family line after five generations of Scottish kings. As it so happened, my current king's great-great-great-aunt had been matri-married to a minor Swedish count. This Swedish branch of the family later managed to get hold of the counties of Södermanland, Lapland, Medelpad and Tartu (!?). The Södermanlandian branch even ruled an independent county of Södermanland at one point.

There seems to be something about Scandinavia that attracts my dynasties. Pretty much every Christian game I've played, at some point I've noticed that the King of Denmark or Norway or Sweeden is a relation. Rarely do I have any idea how it happened, but it's kinda cool.

There seems to be something about Scandinavia that attracts my dynasties. Pretty much every Christian game I've played, at some point I've noticed that the King of Denmark or Norway or Sweeden is a relation. Rarely do I have any idea how it happened, but it's kinda cool.
In my Scotland game (currently running from 1066 to +1200) has my dynasty completely engrained to the Scandinavian dynasties. All kings for four generations have had Norse faces. Most if not all of their children have had the norse face as well. I have five-fold dynastic ties with Estrids (no longer Kings of Denmark... thanks to my late uncle), Ynglings (fell out of favour in Norway, but have risen back again) and af Munsös (back on the throne of Sweden, somehow).

gpEBqTf.png

My first dynastic Pope. :)

But what's striking about this fellow is his history.

You'll note his father and siblings. He was the middle child, not destined for any real greatness, but for some reason (*cough*landedheir*cough*) took up the calling of a Spymaster. While his grandfather was the mighty Lion of Ireland, his father died just shy of Simplicius' 15th Birthday of Pneumonia he contracted on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem (He made it home, but was destined to die shortly afterward).

This lead his eldest Brother to assume the Thrones of Ireland and Wales (Which were united in their father's body with the passing of both parents). The eldest - Ardgar, whom later histories would proclaim "the Great" and birth the nation of England - was ill fit as ruler. Given over to a lifestyle of decadence and folly, when Simplicius came of age he found his brother's trap waiting for him.

Ardgar, who at this point in his life knew only his own weaknesses and none of his strengths, feared his middle brother. Simplicius' youth was filled with anger and ambition, and his chosen profession meant Ardgar immediately cast Simplicius away, married matrillineally to the ruling house of the nation of Burgundy, the Karlings (Who once were the premiere family in Europe but had subsequently been relegated to their tiny realm, pressed by the de Norwich clans of France and Aquitaine and the Chatenois of the Holy Roman Empire). As Simplicius would later recount, his eldest brother at least never tried to deceive him. The marriage to the Karlings was more a boon for them then his own family.

While later histories chronicle Ardgar's remorse over this action later in life (mostly by those chroniclers who interviewed Ardgar the Great in his enfeebled later years. It is to note however that Ardgar the Great's tragic mental decline only happened in the last year of his life. Up to that point, only his body - his ill suited body that his spirit demanded much of during the Crusade to rid the Isles of the Norse barbarians - had failed him), the ruler of the newfound England never bothered to communicate with his cast away brother in any fashion. Indeed, if there is tragedy to this tale, it is that Ardgar's family relations all deteriorated. His youngest brother (And their father's favorite) died during the Crusade, and Ardgar and his other brother Saxson had such a falling out after the completion of the Crusade (Saxson felt the new nation of England folly, and urged his brother to return to their historical seat of power in Ireland) that Saxson's final years were spent in Ardgar's dungeon after a failed coup.

In this way, Simplicius' exile was in itself a blessing. He gave the Karlings a son as was dutiful, but used his skills to persue perhaps a different path to power. He became a Prince-Bishop and somewhere along the way, found a true calling at last as his ambitious ways left him entirely. His piety is what eventually lead him to ascend to the Throne of Peter, and his devotion inspired his son to seek his fortunes in the Knights of Calavatra, where he became Grandmaster himself.

Some have speculated this was Simplicius' masterstroke to the family that aided in his own exile. Denied the opportunity to pass on his own lineage, he helped shape matters in that his unwilling branch of the Karling tree would bear them nothing else in return. Two flare bright candles of Father and Son, and when called home once more, leaving nary but the smoke of memory in their wake.