• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

quidman

Private
39 Badges
Mar 1, 2007
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
We are in 1060. The Byzantine Empire has almost disappeared, The Arab Empire has conquered almost all of Turkey and Greece. After several awful leaders, The Orthodoxy is doomed. Its moral authority has sunk lower than 10. Various heresies are emerging, but none seem able to win the fight.

I am currently running the Kingdom of Serbia, which is doing pretty well, but shares a common border with the Arab Empire. One day, they will come for me. And this day I'd rather be catholic to get more help from Catholic powers. What kind of things can I do to help convert me and my almost completely orthodox territories to the true faith ?

Marry a catholic. I think you can convert to her religion.

Alternatively, assign a catholic to be your chaplain. I believe there is an event for him to convert you.

You could swear fealty to the HRE if it exists and then convert to your liege's religion.

There may be other ways too...

Send your heir to get tutored by a landed Catholic, preferably one that is a Mastermind Theologian with the Zealous and Diligent trait. There's a strong chance he will get converted/raised as a Catholic.

Send your heir to get tutored by a landed Catholic, preferably one that is a Mastermind Theologian with the Zealous and Diligent trait. There's a strong chance he will get converted/raised as a Catholic.

I'd not go with a theologian, just a person with zealous and diligent will generally get the job done, particularly if they have the full 10 years to work with. I'd rather not get stuck with a religious education...

Educaton is one option. You can also convert to your liege's religion if it's in the same group, but as a King you can't swear fealty the the HRE so you will need to use the education method.

I'd not go with a theologian, just a person with zealous and diligent will generally get the job done, particularly if they have the full 10 years to work with. I'd rather not get stuck with a religious education...
The trait is actually determined when the kid turns 16, so you can just switch guardian just before their birthday and get the trait you want.

I'd convert to Catholic and let the Byzantine Empire fade away. Then when a decadence revolt happens use the Holy Orders to retake Greece. Then do something that you don't see too often, create the Latin Empire.

I'd convert to Catholic and let the Byzantine Empire fade away. Then when a decadence revolt happens use the Holy Orders to retake Greece. Then do something that you don't see too often, create the Latin Empire.

I see here that uf the Byzantine Empire still exists. I still have various remnants of it scattered around the map (around 15 provinces scattered from Sicily to Abkhazia). That's annoying. Furthermore it seems ahistorical. What about the Empire of Nicea ?

I see here that uf the Byzantine Empire still exists. I still have various remnants of it scattered around the map (around 15 provinces scattered from Sicily to Abkhazia). That's annoying. Furthermore it seems ahistorical. What about the Empire of Nicea ?

It'll take more time, true, but maybe that will make your valiant struggle more impressive. Start working on claims in Sicily and hope the Muslims wipe out the eastern counties.

Frankly I've always been disappointed that having Zealous doesn't let you holy war between Catholic and Orthodox. There is no doubt that the more zealous Catholics considered Orthodox to be heretical, especially after the mutual excommunications.