• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are no right answers in the humanities. Only horribly wrong ones and debatable ones. :p

Actually, the humanities remind me a lot of my limited experience with werewolf, except that nobody really knows who the wolves are.

Everyone is a wolf, except the philologists.

Sounds like typical werewolf game. :p

Also, get educated in real sciences if you want better chances for emigrating. Those are in demand in job market, not some pseudo-scientific humanistic babble.

Isn't that what I'm doing?

This year we had a choice between two sections: Sciences or Humanities. I chose science of course. Next year we have a choice between "General Sciences"(Focuses on Maths and Physics), "Sciences of Life and the Earth"(Focuses on Chemistry and Biology), and "Economy and Sociology"(Focuses on... Economy and Sociology :p). I'm not decided yet on which of the first 2 to pick. Probably the former.

This actually sounds like a criticism more commonly associated with the humanities. The answers are often arbitrary and subjective, and you have the potential to be considered right or wrong because you agree/disagree with somebody, not because of the intrinsic validity of the arguments made. Math and science are very different in that regard.

This is not actually true. The conclusions of mathematics do follow inexorably from the initial premises, if that's what you mean, but entire fields of mathematics have been built from tweaking the initial set of premises (see, for instance, systems of geometry which do not accept the parallel postulate). The study of mathematics is essentially the study of logic; you can always ask yourself what changes if you alter your assumptions.

+1

Everyone is a wolf, except the philologists.
That is assuming the philologists exist outside of our imaginations.

Math(s) and logic and the scientific method are really a lot like analyzing history. You conjecture a thesis or an, er, conjecture then try to prove it. You also try to disprove it and then counter the disproval (I mean, if you want to.)

I don't like getting my hands messy or recording stuff; I'm more of an armchair type person, so science isn't really my thing. But otherwise it would be. :p

Edit: I like computer science! Programming is very logical. if/else, while, for, switch, functions... it's just the best.

Last edited:
Isn't that what I'm doing?

This year we had a choice between two sections: Sciences or Humanities. I chose science of course. Next year we have a choice between "General Sciences"(Focuses on Maths and Physics), "Sciences of Life and the Earth"(Focuses on Chemistry and Biology), and "Economy and Sociology"(Focuses on... Economy and Sociology :p). I'm not decided yet on which of the first 2 to pick. Probably the former.

Good, good. I just wanted to point it out without any doubt as there was a lot of praising for humanistic studies in this thread. Don't listen to them, go for real science! ;) (and this is coming from a person with history as his major).

That is assuming the philologists exist outside of our imaginations.

Math(s) and logic and the scientific method are really a lot like analyzing history. You conjecture a thesis or an, er, conjecture then try to prove it. You also try to disprove it and then counter the disproval (I mean, if you want to.)

I don't like getting my hands messy or recording stuff; I'm more of an armchair type person, so science isn't really my thing. But otherwise it would be. :p

Edit: I like computer science! Programming is very logical. if/else, while, for, switch, functions... it's just the best.

I really have to get back into programming. It was an absolute blast, never had so much fun learning something. I just couldn't find the time to continue though, and every time I left for a while I had to start over because I'd forgotten everything :(

Good, good. I just wanted to point it out without any doubt as there was a lot of praising for humanistic studies in this thread. Don't listen to them, go for real science! ;) (and this is coming from a person with history as his major).

I actually love history(coming from someone on these forums I'll bet that's not surprising :p), but I don't think that's something I'd major in, rather keep it as an interest.

I find I also appreciate the aesthetic quality of the prog. language i'm using. And in general once you learn a scripting language you'll be able to do a lot of things very quickly that would take a very long time to do manually, or you would try to hunt for software to do it when it would only take a few lines in Python or something.