Do any religious people play this game ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The internet in many places comes across as a place overwhelmingly hostile to religious belief, especially strong religious belief. While it offers anonymity to a great degree, that also allows aggressive anti-theists to start elephant hurling at even passing comments.

It allows aggressive people to be aggressive no matter what their beliefs. While it is delightful that this thread hasn't had sweeping generalizations about Christians (only a few "I knew a Christian who...") it's disconcerting to see that it isn't a two way street.

From earlier in the thread:
It's sad that apparently to be an atheist, you have to be anti-religious even through atheist history basically consisted of just being non-believers. Atheist also use to be way more chillaxed on religions which is what gave it great appeal in the last decade, but it's steadily turning into some fanatical dogma. Atheist have become what they set out to "destroy" which was the stopping of religious preaching and indoctrination, but Atheist have become that, they always preach on their soapbox that is the internet and always question your morals, which is what makes it ironic.

I am not religious but I refuse to own any provinces with slaves or conquer any Indian tribes. It's much better to pick on France.

I am not religious but I refuse to own any provinces with slaves or conquer any Indian tribes. It's much better to pick on France.

There was a mod that changed slaves to oranges. That might be up your alley. It doesn't work with Ironman obviously. I used to use it but am not sure if it has been updated.

most atheists know more about the theist's own religion
Minority religious groups (including; Mormons, Jews, atheists, etc.) tend to know a more about majority religious groups than the mainstream practitioners of those groups, especially in this age of secular "religious" people.

Because in addition to that being what they're exposed to, it's just natural to be curious about the different faith of the majority.

Last edited:

Right, this is why so many atheists I run into claim Catholics are anti-science.

Funny thing is, just like any biased individual, people tend to focus on the good parts of what they subscribe to and focus on the bad parts of what they don't subscribe to. Pretty typical human behavior. For instance, I'm well aware of the mass genocide committed by various atheists in the 20th century, all for the the pursuit of a "rational" society.

im a religious muslim at least i hope i am (im trying :D) mostly focus on sunni and catholic (and reformed) though they are the most op ones in my opinion i dont know why i dont play shiite though the +10 morale is better then sunni but i like the green icon more

I disagree with that statement, in that I've had many conversations with atheists who overgeneralized Christianity, assuming that all Christians were antiscience, anti evolution, anti gay, etc. But I forgive them that, since I once believed the same about Christians, because that was what the media said.

Right, this is why so many atheists I run into claim Catholics are anti-science.

Funny thing is, just like any biased individual, people tend to focus on the good parts of what they subscribe to and focus on the bad parts of what they don't subscribe to. Pretty typical human behavior. For instance, I'm well aware of the mass genocide committed by various atheists in the 20th century, all for the the pursuit of a "rational" society.
I find it funny that some atheists think Catholics are Young Earth Creationists (which is more or less a Protestant thing) when it was a Catholic Jesuit priest who first theorized the Big Bang.

It's like they think it's always Galileo vs. the Church, when in reality it's a much more complex relationship than that.

But I think the super-ignorant capital-"A" Atheists usually are kids on the internet, a lot of atheists I've met were fairly learned about religions, but this was because they studied it and wanted to know about them. I might disagree with their conclusions, but that's just life, people see things differently.
Though, if Atheism ever becomes a large enough thing they'll be just as ignorant as everyone else, atheism doesn't make you smarter.

Last edited:
I find it funny that some atheists think Catholics are Young Earth Creationists (which is more or less a Protestant thing) when it was a Catholic Jesuit priest who first theorized the Big Bang.

It's like they think it's always Galileo vs. the Church, when in reality it's a much more complex relationship than that.

Lets not forget the monk called Mendel, the father of modern genetics... and it is hard today to talk about evolution without bringing the Genetics into the story.
And there are great many well known Catholic scientists (and the list shows only priests, there are even more if you add seculars)

And even that is wrong seeing how Galileo was motivated by Catholic faith and he did not fight against the Bible Doctrine, but claimed that his work doesn't contradict the Bible.

Last edited:
I'm a practising Zoroastrian and religion in EU4 isn't such a big thing for me (maybe because Zoroastrianism isn't in the game), so i don't really care what religion my country has.
For example, i have no prob playing as Sunni, Shia or even Orthodox Persia (Georgia > Persia)
But, i can't play as other nations close to Persia that have an interest in expanding into Persia.

I disagree with that statement, in that I've had many conversations with atheists who overgeneralized Christianity, assuming that all Christians were antiscience, anti evolution, anti gay, etc. But I forgive them that, since I once believed the same about Christians, because that was what the media said.
Wait what. Exactly the opposite, most of the TV media supports religion and discourages atheism. Honestly, most of the time atheists might not know more than a theist of his own religion, but they do know more than your average "christian" or "muslim".

Atheism isn't a political ideology, and there have been many historical atrocities in the name of religion. Morality is self evident.

Though, if Atheism ever becomes a large enough thing they'll be just as ignorant as everyone else, atheism doesn't make you smarter.

Atheism just means without a theist. It's not a fad or some intellectual status. It is just professing the view that all religion is unsubstantiated, it is not justified.

Your personal experience doesn't actually conflict with his statement. You're stating the moral/scientific stances that Christians take/have taken, he is likely referring to the primary religious text (i.e., the bible) and potentially secondary religious texts (such as the writings of St. Augustine).

The churches (any of them) as anti science doesn't really stack up overall and technically I am an atheist leaning towards going to church to see what the service is like etc.