• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think for the time being I am going to have Khorasan as my Duchy and Rayy as my capital. I gives me 2 slots for building, so I can build some stuff. With that in mind, what should I build there? Any suggestions? Currently there is 2 castles, 2 temples and 1 town... I was thinking of building 2 more towns for the tech bonuses...

later on, I might go for Bagdad, but for now I think this location fits my current goals (expanding westward and cutting down the big green blob...
(as seen in the screenshot)

I see, so it is more for Role-Playing purposes than anything else??

By the time you have conquerored everything in the de jure Persian empire, it really won't matter where you place your capital, you'll be unstoppable either way. - In my last Zoroastrian playthrough I set up shop in the center of Persia, and gave a bastard dynasty the kingdom of Mesopotamia and then placed my chancellor in his capital. - raising his levies + my own and my retinues gave me enough men to trounce the muslim caliphate and the byzzies at the same time. It should be noted though, that my muslim caliphate hadn't eaten all of Africa, they had til Egypt + Abyssinia, but the Byzantines had taken over Italy and the old Bulgarian empire..

By the time you have conquerored everything in the de jure Persian empire, it really won't matter where you place your capital, you'll be unstoppable either way. - In my last Zoroastrian playthrough I set up shop in the center of Persia, and gave a bastard dynasty the kingdom of Mesopotamia and then placed my chancellor in his capital. - raising his levies + my own and my retinues gave me enough men to trounce the muslim caliphate and the byzzies at the same time. It should be noted though, that my muslim caliphate hadn't eaten all of Africa, they had til Egypt + Abyssinia, but the Byzantines had taken over Italy and the old Bulgarian empire..

In my game, the muslim caliphate is huge. So big, that I can't get a proper screenshot for it. Instead I took a "Map" screenshot. It is a little crazy how big they are in my game and it has made expanding a bit tricky, as I have to wait for the "perfect" moment to attack them.

ck2_map_1.jpg

I am also considering going after the Looking East and West (Be Emperor of both Persia and Rajastan) achievement...

I chose Khiva, because you can have 6 holdings and you actually can choose which holdings you want to build. So yeah, the douchy and the county of Khiva were my capital of the Persian empire.

... Why take Fars? What is the benifit of doing so??

Fars is a purely coastal duchy with 2/3 mountain terrain. Since you generally max your demesne out at about 13 holdings, if you take the Fars duchy (in addition to the one Rayy is in) you can maximize your income stream while still pursuing your defensive posture. It also can be a great place to concentrate troops once the hordes start driving towards Mesopotamia or to act as a bulwark against the Sunni Empire.

In my game, the muslim caliphate is huge. So big, that I can't get a proper screenshot for it. Instead I took a "Map" screenshot. It is a little crazy how big they are in my game and it has made expanding a bit tricky, as I have to wait for the "perfect" moment to attack them.

View attachment 115176

I am also considering going after the Looking East and West (Be Emperor of both Persia and Rajastan) achievement...

That is massive, I'll give you that - but it shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the byzzies don't interfere, if things go bad, just using retinues alone can usually knock out some of the medium stacks near your border when they're raised, and if all fails, pull back a bit to the mountains

View attachment 115176

Should be doable. Persian horse archer retinues are pretty good, in my experience. Also, you should be obscenely rich at this point and have restored the priesthood, so you can add in a ton of mercs and the Immortals on top of your retinues and levies if needed. Lure the AI into a disadvantageous battle and wipe 'em out. :)