• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SeizeVictus

First Lieutenant
29 Badges
Sep 26, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
Since all my games have been as catholics, I thought I'd try something different. I'm thinking of playing as a muslim character but I honestly don't see how it would be interesting. I think it's because I don't really know a lot about Islam or the history of the different regions stretching from southern Iberia towards persia. Even now i'm doing research on it because the history component helps me enjoy the game more. Tbh it seems very unstable, lacking long term kingdoms but having a series of sultanates and caliphates... what's up with that, anyway ? What are your experiences playing as a muslim character, and how's it different from a typical catholic playthrough ?

Note; I don't mean to offend anyone, so don't take anything negatively.

Last edited:
Depends on how you play. If you like to grant family members land, then you're gonna have a bad time(decadence). If not, you'll probably be fine, if fact muslims get quite a few useful bonuses compared to others. Their noble vassals default to paying taxes, you can hold mosques with no penalty, there's no vote to change crown/realm laws, just a piety cost. You basically choose your heir(through carefully timed land grants).

Some people hate decadence with a passion, some people think it is fine. I personally would recommend you give it a try yourself. A good start is a small, contained dynasty that does not have family members all over the place. I think the Habbari in 867 or the Soomra in 1066 may be a good start - you are relatively isolated from the turmoil in Persia but can meddle if you want to, and you can wage holy war against your Indian (and heretic) neighbours. Don't forget to go on the haj! It is good fun and your character gets some boni from that.

Muslim playthroughs have generally been very enjoyable, despite the decadence. Cardinal Sin's advice above is crucial, though. My worst decision in a long-haul game ever was to first conquer half of Eurasia with the Bolghar Dulo dynasty and only then convert to Islam. Decadence galore, with barely any possibility to set all the sinners straight.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying currently a totally lovely game as the Ghasnavids. Conquering Indian duchies and kingdoms lets you keep the decadence low, as does the small size of the dynasty in the start.

I too find myself not playing Muslims all that often because of the mechanics.

If you want a Christian-like nation with some of the perks of Muslim nations, why not try a Zoroastrian start? It can be very difficult but also very rewarding going for the restoration of Persia.

For the first couple of generations. Then aggravation with decadence (oh look, you're decadent -straighten up! oh look decadent again!), that you have vast numbers of family members that are practical liabilities outside of your heir, and other minor annoyances start to take hold.

Muslims have some of the most powerful CBs in the game, and are generally able to bypass things which usually incur tyrrany or require support of vassals by instead spending piety (which is trivial at King and Emperor tier.)

However, since I don't really enjoy playing a game of blobbing, Muslims really don't have any appeal to me. While some might see the appeal of easier expansion, this comes at a cost to several of the things which I most enjoy with Crusader Kings.

Playing Muslims is great fun, as long as you really get into it. however Decadence, while improved greatly, still has some kinks and odd ends to be smoothed over - apparently this will come with the patch along Charlemagne DLC, so you can wait until then and see it it's your kind of gig.

Never give any family members any land, never allow anyone to marry except your direct heirs. If your family has like 12 members who are all in your court, decadence won't be a problem.

Playing as a muslim has had it's enjoyment, but being locked into Agnatic tends to kill it pretty fast for me though. Never really had much of an issue with decadence myself, but I never lasted long due to the aforementioned succession law issue so.

Playing as a muslim has had it's enjoyment, but being locked into Agnatic tends to kill it pretty fast for me though. Never really had much of an issue with decadence myself, but I never lasted long due to the aforementioned succession law issue so.

Four wives and agnatic succession is still a problem?

Bugs. Bugs will kill your realm. Pray that you have the worst vassals, or else the Great Tutelage Bug will destroy everything.

Otherwise, pretty fun.

Bugs. Bugs will kill your realm. Pray that you have the worst vassals, or else the Great Tutelage Bug will destroy everything.

Otherwise, pretty fun.

What's that bug? Never encountered it and I play muslims quite often ....

What's that bug? Never encountered it and I play muslims quite often ....

The game would continually reassign female children between two people - giving you a -15 opinion malus for lost ward to the loser every time (which got them very angry with you very quickly).

I think it was fixed last patch. If not it will be next patch.

I think it was fixed last patch. If not it will be next patch.

Doesn't seem so to me. I just noticed yesterday in my Ghaznavid game that a vassal of mine had -1960 opinion penalty on me because of that.

Four wives and agnatic succession is still a problem?
It's more a case of really disliking the Agnatic succession law regardless of the religion or culture I'm playing as. It's one of those things that just ruins a playthrough for me pretty quickly and one of the reasons why I can't play a republic for long even though I like it as it has its own Agnatic type law to deal with.

No.