• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CosmicDwarf

Captain
5 Badges
Jan 23, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
I am currently enjoying a rather spiffing campaign as a newly created Merchant Republic. I recently won most of a Duchy in a holy war and I am contemplating giving one of the baronies to my youngest son. My worry is that if I do this, one day that son will be the eldest in the dynasty and he will become patrician.

If my son becomes patrician and is not successfully elected, does this mean I can play as a "baron"? Furthermore if he gets elected will the Republic turn into a Duchy because of his feudal title?

Many thanks

I think that if you die and your heir is a baron(holds a castle as primary title), then you will turn to a feudal kingdom.
I personally don't give land to any male members of my dynasty unless my court is already really big, because courtiers won't have as many children and will stop have children at all after a certain number of people at court(40 i think). After that i start landing young males so they can produce more offspring.

I am currently enjoying a rather spiffing campaign as a newly created Merchant Republic. I recently won most of a Duchy in a holy war and I am contemplating giving one of the baronies to my youngest son. My worry is that if I do this, one day that son will be the eldest in the dynasty and he will become patrician.

If my son becomes patrician and is not successfully elected, does this mean I can play as a "baron"? Furthermore if he gets elected will the Republic turn into a Duchy because of his feudal title?

Many thanks

Patricians are entitled to hold both cities and castles without penalty ... and muslim patricians can hold even temples.

If they get elected as Doge their capital relocates to the capital of the republic, which is always a city.

Patricians can play as barons, they are already at that level. If he got elected then he would still own the barony but move to the Republic's capital and become a Republican Doge.

Are you 2 sure? If a char has his main title as a castle, then he won't convert to a republic.

Could you believe a muslim patrician? He could hold each and every holding in his realm all by himself... madness!