• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The autonomy faction is almost never a real problem, unless they start to grumble about title revocation, luckily enough.

"at his recommendation - named my chancellor Aldebert the Duc de Sinai."

Such a selfless man, caring first and foremost for the good of the realm! :D

I'll give it a shot if I can; we'll have to see if we can arrange a suitable marriage or two once every wedding doesn't have to be about ensuring the succession (Godefroy had appalling luck with his children!). I might try a Spain start next time - I admit I like being on the front lines of Christendom (whichever side of said line I'm on).

Holy war is very interesting with HIP because of its limits - though for me it turned out to be a landgrabbing competition between me and Castile.
Speaking of Iberia, I am considering doing a Barcelona - Aragon AAR... some time in the future. :)

Anyway, great to see you fleshing out Blanche's character with this update and proving that she's not the typical weak female ruler. Her reign will be great for Jerusalem - I can feel it.

She's got her work cut out. I see a shitstorm of revolts on the way...

Well, we'll do what we can to persuade them not to - and if they do, to make sure they don't do it again.

The autonomy faction is almost never a real problem, unless they start to grumble about title revocation, luckily enough.

"at his recommendation - named my chancellor Aldebert the Duc de Sinai."

Such a selfless man, caring first and foremost for the good of the realm! :D

Ah, good to know! I was keeping a wary eye on them in Godofrey's reign but decided he wouldn't believe that Christians would rebel against the Princeps until and unless it actually happened - so I essentially ignored that screen for forty-odd years. Blanche is a little less larger-than-life, so she's also a bit more realistic about what could happen if her vassals turn against her.

And isn't he just?

Well, time to prepare the dungeons for some traitors!

Damn straight!

Holy war is very interesting with HIP because of its limits - though for me it turned out to be a landgrabbing competition between me and Castile.
Speaking of Iberia, I am considering doing a Barcelona - Aragon AAR... some time in the future. :)

Anyway, great to see you fleshing out Blanche's character with this update and proving that she's not the typical weak female ruler. Her reign will be great for Jerusalem - I can feel it.

Actually I'm really pleased with how that's turning out. She proclaims a reign of peace and prosperity, and suddenly all across the Twin Kingdoms people are building. :)

And already it seems quite evident that Blanche is not her father. Looks like a storm is coming soon; let's hope that the Queen and her supporters aren't overwhelmed by it.

God willing!

I really like the story that you can craft from the game.... The detail you write it with is very good. I'm in the middle of reading it. Your posts are so long that I can only read a post a day! :p

I'm loving Blanche so far-- that cynicism and temper balanced by a sense of justice and political savvy is coming through clearly. She's going to be very interesting in contrast to her father.

II: On Her Majesty's Secret Service​

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.

-N. Machiavelli​

wayguardian_dashinvaine.jpg

A Templar watching over the pilgrim roads

A Papal delegate arrived at Caesarea bearing the news that the Armies of Christ were marching once again - this time into Islamic Spain. It likely wasn't a coincidence that Pope Marcellus - a man known for his martial zeal - chose to declare a crusade for Al-Andalus, the closest infidel kingdom to Castille, only days after a third cardinal from that land joined the College; yet regardless a decision had to be made. Would I please the Church and send a host to the far end of the continent? Or would I risk angering His Holiness and retain my strength to preserve the Holy Land from all its enemies, inside and out? In the end I decided on the latter course, to preserve my promise of peace and prosperity. Many of my vassals cried out with anger that we should be thought cowards by the rest of Christendom, but for the most part the people of the Twin Kingdoms welcomed the news that they would not be called upon to die in a strange land far across the seas.

Not so the Military Orders, for before the month was out both the Templar and Hospitaller orders had raised their banners, amassed their strength and began the long journey into the west. Their absence weakened us, but as my prestige rose so too did the regard of my vassals. While there was still a threat of revolt, my council and I had the loyalty of enough lords that we no longer needed to fear Dimasq or Qinnasrin attacking us on their own. I had more personal concerns though, as it seemed that Manfred's innocent guise had even less foundation than he acted. When he first came to Jerusalem to wed me, he had brought a number of his own German courtiers with him; that in itself was no concern for I cared enough for him that I scarcely expected him to abandon all he knew when he came to an alien land. Yet it seemed that one of his closest friends, Klara, had given birth to a baby boy the very spitting image of my husband. I was disappointed in him, hurt by his betrayal and his continued dishonesty in still lying to me and I began to take to drink.

Pickled_Hangover.jpg

I get the munchies when I drink, it seems

My choice not to send the armies west divided the Kingdom in some measure, and Payen would be exceedingly busy in the days ahead. He rooted out two corrupt nobles in Jerusalem itself before reporting that the growing unrest meant there were nine vassals now plotting to breach their oaths of office. This could not be permitted, and I sent him to speak with the aging Comte de Hauran to remind him of where his loyalties laid. Late that night as I stood in reflection on the battlements of my tower I saw a light shining off to the north, over Bethlehem. It began to move towards me, then away. There was a strange whispering in the air as well that built to a dramatic climax - and then died away into a breathless hush.

It was strange how clouds and wind could play tricks on one's mind.

I received word that the Comte de Hauran had apologized for the error of his ways and vowed not to conspire against me in the days ahead; Payen added that he would ride for Kharija next in southern Egypt to speak with another noble plotter and asked if I had heard the word from Rome? It seemed that His Holiness had at last died of the wounds of his youth and been replaced by a Venetian, Symmachus II. The new pope was renowned for frequent fits in which the Holy Spirit came upon him and he spoke the word of God, though it was often hard to decipher. I decided to make my way to the Eternal City and speak with him, explaining my reasoning for not entering the war in Spain - and not coincidentally raising my profile among my older vassals who yet missed my father's reign. In case my enemies took the opportunity to rise up in my absence I commissioned a set of new fortifications for the Tour de David. My father had ever sought to take his blade to the enemy, but in my reign we would value protection and defense of what we had. I named Manfred my regent and set off on the ride to take ship at Jaffa.

Pilgrimof_Rome.jpg

I am but a humble pilgrim - honest

I heard afterwards that mere days after I had taken ship the treacherous Comte de Aydhab had mysteriously managed to shoot himself three times in the chest with arrows. As luck would have it his young son had died of typhoid sickness earlier that year, and his next closest heir was me. God was truly smiling on the royal house, and frowning on those who conspired against us. I had a rough crossing to Greece, though it was only after the seasickness continued days after I set foot on solid ground that I understood that it was something more; I had been blessed with a new child swelling beneath my heart. I knew that Manfred would be thrilled when he heard, but that was for later; I was forced to struggle through an absurd amount of rain, on my journey.

I met some Knights on their way to the fighting in Spain who were all too keen to discuss military matters with me as if I were a witless woman - perhaps they thought to persuade me to throw away the men of the Twin Kingdoms in the same bloody effort? Regardless, I firmly turned the conversation to matters of theology (as seemed to befit the nature of my journey) and they seemed pleased enough by our conversation. It was in a more cheerful mood that I completed my journey, meeting with the Pope and his Cardinals from all across the Christian world. I felt something release inside me as I did, helping me to become more friendly, charismatic and easy with those around me. This would serve me well since, after all, smiles and soft words win a hundred friends where the sword leaves only bodies. Upon my return to the Kingdom I proved this once again - Duc Aldebert had done his work well in wooing the Doge Paskoal de Haro to my support, and I completed his victory by appointing the Iskandariyan to become my new Connetable. Only six plotters remained to scheme for their independence now.

Hashashin_Fall.jpg

Good news from the Knights Templar!

Not all the secret work within the Kingdoms was done by the talented Payen of course - as Reybaud had his eyes, so Payen had his blades and allied with those of the Orders Militant they had succeeded in eliminating the dangerous infidel Hashashin Order from the lands around Outremer. In this new security my daughter Sibylla was born to me, to the great shared pleasure of Manfred and I - though he soon returned to his Klara and I to my resentment. My journey to Rome was soon proved a waste in some ways, for the Pope Symmachus II soon died and the Castillian Pope Constantinus II took his place. Edessa had since given up its claim to Boulogne, and though I felt little desire to war with the French for another man's dream, when I received word that the Kerbogali had declared war upon the heart of Edessa I quickly called my own men to arms, without disturbing my vassals.

The next report from Payen indicated that with this call to arms against a mutual foe the conspiracy had evaporated like a cupful of water thrown upon the open sands. I received regular reports from the Doge on my armies in the field, though I remained in Jerusalem throughout the war. That was one point on which I agreed with my enemies, the battlefield was no place for a woman. Besides which, I had other concerns; the Duc de Qahira had died mysteriously in his sleep - though there were no signs that it was by aught but natural causes. I sent the Dowager Duchess Ildegarde a token of my sympathies in this difficult time and as some small consolation the new and important role of Keeper of the Queen's Swans (both of them). I found my own consolation from my husband's disloyalty in the arms of a good man, Mayor Onfroy the Younger; he asks me for nothing and gives only joy.

Itakealover.jpg

My true love, who has not abandoned me

I was not wholly immune to what some might call the dishonour of my actions. Just because Manfred betrayed our holy marriage first gave me no amnesty for my own sins of lust. Yet I was a woman under great stresses, and I needed the solace that only he could provide - or cared to. Still it meant that when my husband asked me to fund some wild ideas he had about improving the economy in Jerusalem I hadn't the heart to refuse him. The Templars and Hospitallers were returning from the west at last, for the great Crusade there was won; the King of Castille chose to place a relative of his on the throne of Al-Andalus, guarding the Straits of Gibraltar between Christian Europe and infidel-infested Africa. The Mohommedans attacking Edessa were beaten back in two smashing victories at Cressum and Tella, and before long my knights and foot were on their way back to Jerusalem bearing a letter from my cousin the Countess Bourguigne thanking me profusely for our aid. I welcomed the closer ties with Edessa, though my lord Aldebert cautioned me against asking her to become my vassal - at least, not yet.

I found I was pregnant again, sickening from it and the conspiracy against the crown had started up again, although in weaker measure. Only six nobles were preparing to revolt, among them the treacherous Comte of Hauran and the Comte of Farfarun. I sent Payen on another of his errands, so vital to the peace of the Twin Kingdoms. He came to Hauran in shadow, and none saw him come. The elderly Comte of Hauran yet had no sons, and so when he fell choking on his blood in the shadows, the title to Hauran passed back into royal hands. When he traveled to Farfarun though, he did so openly, with a lute in his pack. He was received by the count that night and sang in a warm baritone of duty, and loyalty, and treason... and knives, sharp and deadly in the dark.

Against_Treason.jpg

The Comte de Farfarun rediscovers his loyalties

The treasonous faction was weakened now, and though I asked Payen to keep his eyes on them for opportunities to strike I felt able to turn my mind to other matters, happier matters such as Countess Stephanie of Giza who at last became an adult. In part celebration I spent lavishly on a great Christmas feast like the ones of my father, and only one vassal failed to attend. We would wear him down I was sure, but in the meantime I made merry with the nobility of the Twin Kingdoms, who were, by and large, coming around to the idea of Reine Blanche as their ruler. With my throne on rock now rather than sand, I took some steps to prepare the succession. My young daughter Sibylla was betrothed to the fourth son of the Comte of French Tripoli, while my youngest son Payen was tied in betrothal to Countess Adalmonde of Bekaa. The final piece of the puzzle was the birth of my new child, Alix, Princess of Jerusalem and my subsequent recovery.

While they may come to resent my choices in future years, the new verdance of my dynasty meant that rather than keeping my bloodline carefully locked away for preservation I was able to look to the future and arrange marriages of dynastic succession for my children, sons and daughters alike. It was still too early to think of one for Alix, and Andre's choice was outside of my power as he was already a noble in his own right, but before I was done I would see a de Bourgogne on or behind every Christian throne east of Constantinople.

Or die trying.

Council_Loyal.jpg

My Council, at least, is loyal

I really like the story that you can craft from the game.... The detail you write it with is very good. I'm in the middle of reading it. Your posts are so long that I can only read a post a day! :p

Thanks for your very kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, and so long as I'm able to keep writing a post most days you should have plenty of reading material for some time yet. :p

Or at least I hope so!

I'm loving Blanche so far-- that cynicism and temper balanced by a sense of justice and political savvy is coming through clearly. She's going to be very interesting in contrast to her father.

Aye, I like her a lot too. I have to keep resisting the urge to lead the hosts I don't have any more against Dimasq and Qinnasrin, but HIP's 15-year-peace-pledge ambition is very helpful in keeping me disciplined that way (since it gives me a few bonuses when it comes to keeping my vassals in check as long as I stick to it, and a suitably ugly penalty if I don't).

Besides which, it's encouraging Blanche and I to explore less... overt ways of shaping Outremer's future. Man of the match from this chapter is definitely Payen who is starting to become her first response to any delicate problems of loyalty.

We wouldn't want to be a tyrant now, would we?

...I just wish Blanche's intrigue was higher than 4...

Marvellous update. Really getting a good feel for Blanche's character now.

Excellent stuff Khryses!

In fact so excellent that I have nominated you for WritAAR of the Week

Go check it out and very well done again-love this story

Last edited:
WritAAR of the week brought me here. I've read a bit of the beginning and enjoy it. It may take awhile for me to catch up though.

Marvellous update. Really getting a good feel for Blanche's character now.

Excellent stuff Khryses!

In fact so excellent that I have nominated you for WritAAR of the Week

Go check it out and very well done again-love this story

Thanks so much Asantahene, I'm tremendously flattered!

I have material built up for the next few chapters, but I had an idea that next generation I could post the profile of Blanche's successor and get your collective takes on what he (probably) might be like, then use that to influence his personality going ahead. What do you guys think?

WritAAR of the week brought me here. I've read a bit of the beginning and enjoy it. It may take awhile for me to catch up though.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying writing it :)

Many congratulations Khryses!

Blanche is... quite the queen with all her amorous adventures.

It's good to be the queen!

To give her credit though, as she isn't lustful there have been other advances she's decided were inappropriate and despite having a lover as best as I can tell all her children are legitimate. Manfred is a fertile one...

Rather alarming how all of Blanche's most dangerous rivals within the kingdom seem to befall such terrible fates like that. Perhaps it is the hand of God working to silence any who might doubt His will in whom He has chosen to steward His kingdom "on Earth as it is in Heaven"? ;)

III: The Night is Dark, and Full of Terrors​

The healer and the killer both rely on the blade: the physician his scalpel, the assassin his dagger.

-Fiona Paul​

Cosmetics.jpg

I know my own worth

A new cosmetic had made its way to our court from France. Reportedly it was made of the finest quail's eggs mixed with cornflour and the down from baby chicks and was all the rage in the court of the new king following his marriage to the young queen. The new French king? Yes, for it seemed that King Beneset had lost his throne to another Louis, and then Raoul had taken the throne in his turn. Following all this internecine carnage the young Danish Princess was a breath of fresh air and each and every whim she had was gladly met by king and court alike, no matter how expensive. Many of the young ladies of my court have taken up the habit as well, but when one foolish chit hinted that adopting the cosmetic may help to repair the marks that age had given me, I fixed her with a baleful stare and said that while she may choose to hide her face behind a mask of quail droppings, I know my own worth.

I felt far better after giving the maid a piece of my mind, and my illness passed soon after. I was so pleased that venting my vitriol had served to mend my ill humours that I decided not to wed her to a leprous old Abyssinian heretic after all and sent him my polite regrets. Fresh word arrived from my cousin in Edessa that the Ortokids had made bold enough to war against her even without the aid of the French. Her men were well rested and trained and fighting hard in defense of the Comtesse's holdings, yet they were still being slowly overwhelmed by the greater numbers the Beylerbey could pit against them as well as yet another revolt breaking out in Bira. I sent a column of my finest knights north to intercede under the command of Doge Paskoal while the situation rapidly deteriorated.

Edessav_Ortokids.jpg

The Beylerbeylik needed to learn that I was not to be trifled with

I sent Payen north on his own business, to extend a spy network throughout Tripoli. In the long run we hoped to prepare the ground to challenge the succession on Julian and Sibylla's behalf - but for now we set about weakening his intelligence apparatus through a judicious combination of murder and matrimony. One warm day in late spring my physician told me what I already suspected; I was with child. Manfred and Onfroy were both near as aglow as I was, particularly as morning sickness began to take its toll. It was amazing to think that my eldest child was nearly of age while I was still giving birth to new. Andre came to me with the light of curiosity in his eyes and asked me many questions about motherhood and pregnancy. Was I going to have a little boy or a little girl? With three boys and two girls already, I told him I expected a little girl although privately I wondered if she might have blonde hair or red.

As it turned out I was wrong and my youngest son Evrard was born some months later, a bright babe with stars in his eyes that reminded me of all the reasons I had loved Manfred... once. No sooner was I ready to leave the nursery than it was Andre's sixteenth birthday and time to swear him to loyalty to the throne as a fighter and nobleman of Outremer. In his freshly crafted suit of plate he knelt before me in the throne room of the Tour de David, proud in his freshly grown moustache and blond page-boy cut. He had been raised a Frank of Outremer, and his boundless military talents surely meant he had a future in our armies or as my Marshal - for the Doge's loyalties were proving all too temporary. I touched my sword of state to each of his shoulders in turn and then bade him arise, a knight of Christ's Kingdom.

Prince_Andrecomesofage.jpg

Prince Andre comes of age

Soon after this I betrothed my second son Ebbon to the Doux of Armenian Cilicia's daughter, who bore the exotic name Shoushanig. The Armenians are of a heretical sect of the faith, yet they remain our distant cousins in Christ and can yet be led back to the truth. In the days ahead I would see all the independent Christian states in the east united in my children's hands. With our pieces placed in the succession of French Tripoli and Armenian Cilicia, Duc Adelbert made his way to Antioch and began his work to, shall we say, 'discover' a legitimate claim to the Duchy. Perhaps if the opportunity presented itself in the days ahead we may even be willing to go to war to press these claims, for despite my own desire for peace it seemed war would always come to our lands whatever I wished.

Payen told me that the independence plot had sprung to life once more under the direction of the Comte de Farfarun, who had managed to rally three of his fellow nobles, a mayor and a bishop behind him in his treason. I sent my spymaster to sing to him, and though he paled at the implication he remained defiant and true to his purpose. That night he took wine with a large assembly of the realm's vassals, with Grandmaster Guilhem of the Knights Hospitaller filling the cups. Tragically something he drank disagreed with him, but enough of those present were in on the plot that somehow my involvement became public knowledge. Once more my popularity dropped among the good lords and ladies of the Twin Kingdoms - most markedly (and somewhat hypocritically) with the very Grandmaster who poisoned the Comte's wine.

We began a new plot in Cicilian Armenia to eliminate the risk that the Doux would have a male heir to supersede his daughter's inheritance. The first approach Payen took followed the same as the Comte de Farfarun's fortunate demise, in slipping a poison into the Doux's wine with the active connivance of certain members of his court. Whether it was the news of Farfarun or some evil instinct, the Doux drank only water that night and soon leveled an accusation at his daughter's future mother-in-law. Again my reputation took a battering, but I knew I could not stop now. I sent a gift to his wife in token of the future bonds of matrimony that would link our two states, a chest of silver pieces. That lady was no fool, and accepted my gift along with its subtle implications. Two weeks later poor Doux Ishkhan experienced an end to all his stress and worry as a lone lunatic archer shot him three times in his palace gardens before he could be captured by the guards.

Cilician_Assassination.jpg

Strange how things work out

With the death of the Doux, his daughter Shoushanig rose to rule that land though it would be another two years yet before she could wed Ebbon. Once more peace and prosperity swept over the land. In the absence of the pointless slaughter of war, civil or otherwise, all the Kingdom's nobility seemed to be building. In my own lands I had three keeps, two castle town expansions and two castle fortifications in various stages of construction. If we were not to expand outwards we must develop within our borders. Over time we were slowly gathering support from among my various vassals for my proposed increase in burgher obligations.

Still just as our support built so too did the clamour for an independence faction. This time the leader was the spectacularly unpopular Wali Umaya of Awjila, an insulting man with no tact, sense or subtlety. To make matters worse he was an unrepentant infidel despite all the good work that Bishop Gelduin had done in converting his town, wife and successor to the true faith. What sealed his fate of course was his personal antipathy to me because of my gender and involvement in the poisoning of the Comte de Farfarun, yet when my esteemed Spymaster began to cast around he found no end of willing conspirators. It seemed the good Wali was even less popular than I was! It wasn't long before he fell to a stray cup of poisoned wine (which was an indication of his wickedness in itself, since his religion forbade the consumption). Unfortunately with the Wali gone a number of the conspirators turned on me instead - once more rumours of my ill-deeds were on the tongues of every man across the Twin Kingdoms.

Awjilan_Assassination.jpg

And I thought I was unpopular!

There was a building anger at my dishonour both within and without the Kingdoms of Jerusalem, most alarmingly from the Eternal City where His Holiness busied himself writing lengthy tracts lecturing me for my sin and iniquity. Apparently in order to wipe my soul clean I would need to make a sizable donation to the Church, or at least so the Papal Legate indicated. When I cautiously asked what manner of donative he thought would be appropriate, he gave me a very direct look and indicated that a hundred and seventy eight gold pieces would be best. In Italian coinage; I was forced to pay a painful fee to the moneylenders in order to change my coin, which left the Kingdom's vaults echoingly empty.

The Comte Payen took his lute and music to Kharija next as he continued the endless work of quelling conspiracies before they could bloom into revolt. I had determined to be a good little girl for a time and allow the Pope's change of tune to sink into the public imagination and gave my own conspiracies a rest. Besides which, my son needed me. Andre's wife had passed away of pneumonia shortly after giving birth to my grandson Bernard, leaving him sad and low. I felt far too young to be a grandmother yet, but a mother? That I could be, ever was, and when my boy needed me, I needed to be with him. To help him. Dimasq and Qinnasrin were warring bloodily against one another while a deadly sickness spread through the coastal lands of Jerusalem. Typhoid Fever.

Typhoid_Fever.jpg

The fever swept over the Twin Kingdoms

Rather alarming how all of Blanche's most dangerous rivals within the kingdom seem to befall such terrible fates like that. Perhaps it is the hand of God working to silence any who might doubt His will in whom He has chosen to steward His kingdom "on Earth as it is in Heaven"? ;)

Yes, it's funny how that works out. :cool:

The hand of God is awfully helpful when it comes to silencing dissenters, though increasingly it seems to be giving Blanche's vassals strange ideas about who precisely is responsible for all this... but we've paid off the Pope now, so hopefully God will be more helpful in the future so long as she isn't openly disrespectful.

It's fun being a cynic!

Yes, it's funny how that works out. :cool:

The hand of God is awfully helpful when it comes to silencing dissenters, though increasingly it seems to be giving Blanche's vassals strange ideas about who precisely is responsible for all this... but we've paid off the Pope now, so hopefully God will be more helpful in the future so long as she isn't openly disrespectful.

It's fun being a cynic!

Gosh she is a cold hearted one isn't she but interesting how she uses 'other means' to get her strategic aims met. A good update though I do wonder whether some of her plotting and deceit is actually contributing to the factions etc?

Oh-and where are you getting those beautiful sketches from? They are amazing and look as if they have been drawn for this story?

Great Chapters, you write well looking forward to how the Queen gets on. I also like the GOT Reference in the last chapter.

Great Chapters, you write well looking forward to how the Queen gets on. I also like the GOT Reference in the last chapter title.

Hey Saxon links to your AARs dont appear to be working?